Windows 10: How to stop Win10 from Closing Programs when using Lock or Log Off

Discus and support How to stop Win10 from Closing Programs when using Lock or Log Off in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When Lock or Log Off; All Programs Close and I have to Open/Start over and Log back into them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ChukEZX, Mar 5, 2020.

1. ChukEZX Win User

How to stop Win10 from Closing Programs when using Lock or Log Off

When Lock or Log Off; All Programs Close and I have to Open/Start over and Log back into them.

:)

ChukEZX, Mar 5, 2020

2. Windows 10 lock screen closes programs

Recently, when Windows 10 returns to the lock screen, all of my programs (e.g. Excel) are closed, any unsaved information is lost, and I must restart the programs upon entering my password at the lock screen. The behavior is as if, by leaving the computer idle, I clicked the "sign out" option (which I have not).

• Reverting to an old system restore point did not work.
    • Using Win-L and then immediately entering my password does not close my programs. I don't know how long the delay is between going to the lock screen and my programs being closed
    • I have no screen saver; the screen goes blank after 10 minutes; I have - to my knowledge - unchecked all instances of returning to the lock screen
    • I do want the lock screen, as this is an office computer
    • When booting to safe mode, the problem does not appear.

In response to comments

• My office computer is not on the institution's domain, although they do have one.
    • I can confirm that the computer is not rebooting by checking that no events with IDs 6005 or 6006 occur at times when my programs close
    • Starting the lock screen witn Win-L and waiting 15-20 minutes does not cause my programs to close. I not yet been able to check longer times; however, this is the only clue I have thus far to suggest that the program closing issue may not be attached to the lock screen.

I am not sufficiently familiar with the event viewer or task scheduling to check these systems for additional diagnostic information.

How do I continue to diagnose, and ultimately resolve, the issue of the Windows-10 lock screen apparently forcing all of my programs to close?

bobthechemist, Mar 5, 2020
  3. shevanel Win User
    Any software to lock a running program?

Does anyone know of an ap or program that will allow me to lock software while in use so that it cannot be closed without a password or similar?

For example, if I have a media player open and running music is there a way or an ap that will allow no one to be able to close it, minimize it or use any other software on the PC?

Thanks for any suggestions...

shevanel, Mar 5, 2020
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

Hi,

There are multiple causes on why you're encountering this issue. To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you disable and re-enable Spotlight. Simply follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop and open Personalize.
    • Open Lock Screen tab.
    • Under Background, switch from Windows Spotlight to a Picture or the Slideshow.
    • Click OK and close the Window.
    • Now Log off and log in.
    • Navigate to Lock screen and enable Windows Spotlight again.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. How to stop Win10 from Closing Programs when using Lock or Log Off - Similar Threads - stop Win10 Closing

2. Mouse keeps stopping when closing a program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse keeps stopping when closing a program: Please help me my mouse keeps stopping when i close a program or randomly. I checked in Devices tab and it showed me this.I don't know the fix. I tried removing the device still showing this. If someone knows the fix please let me know....
  3. Mouse keeps stopping when closing a program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse keeps stopping when closing a program: Please help me my mouse keeps stopping when i close a program or randomly. I checked in Devices tab and it showed me this.I don't know the fix. I tried removing the device still showing this. If someone knows the fix please let me know....
  4. Stop programs from opening off screen

Stop programs from opening off screen: This is now the year 2023, how hard would it be to make Windows determine the available screen area and make it so programs do NOT open off screen. This is totally ridiculous that this is still happening. I'm not looking for a solution on how to get the programs back on...
  5. How to stop Windows 10 from choosing when to close?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to stop Windows 10 from choosing when to close?: I'm working with my ASUS win 10 laptop near my Win 10 Dell PC, going back and forth. I spent more time on the Dell and the ASUS closed. I had to sign in again and restart all my programs, that I had just done before this happened again. Sometimes its Windows updates when I'm...
  6. How to stop Windows 10 from choosing when to close?

How to stop Windows 10 from choosing when to close?: I'm working with my ASUS win 10 laptop near my Win 10 Dell PC, going back and forth. I spent more time on the Dell and the ASUS closed. I had to sign in again and restart all my programs, that I had just done before this happened again. Sometimes its Windows updates when I'm...
  7. How to stop closed programs from opening back when I turn on my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop closed programs from opening back when I turn on my PC?: Hello. I hate it when this happens: I finish stuff and shut down my PC, and later when I open it back, Chrome opens all the tabs I had open before I shut down my PC. How do I stop Chrome from re-opening all the tabs? submitted by /u/YesILikePizza [link] [comments]...
  8. How Can I Keep a Windows Program Locked from Closing?

How Can I Keep a Windows Program Locked from Closing?: ‎ submitted by /u/ardatby [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kmziuw/how_can_i_keep_a_windows_program_locked_from/
  9. How do you stop Windows from closing a 'not responding program'?

How do you stop Windows from closing a 'not responding program'?: Windows keeps closing Minecraft whenever it stop responding for a bit. Minecraft was just rendering some of the terrain with a little lag spike. This is absolutely getting infuriating, as I have to wait for 15-20 minutes just to load Minecraft, because off my HDD submitted...
  10. How to STOP Win10 from opening program in the foreground?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to STOP Win10 from opening program in the foreground?: I have found posts on how to stop this, but nothing tells me how to make this happen. My last Win10 laptop, when I: right clicked on an image in a folder > open with > graphic software, the image would open in the graphic software, but the Folder Would Stay in the...