Windows 10: how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing

Discus and support how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have file sharing turned OFF for both private and public networks. However, Windows 10 periodically changes the file sharing to ON. I have not been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ced2, Dec 17, 2019.

1. ced2 Win User

how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing

I have file sharing turned OFF for both private and public networks. However, Windows 10 periodically changes the file sharing to ON. I have not been able to track down when the change occurs, but want it to stop.

I have two Windows 10 laptops, both set up the same way, however, the switch keeps getting updated on one laptop.

How can I keep windows 10 from changing the file sharing option?

:)

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 17, 2019
  4. how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing

File Sharing

Hi Dwayne,

The ability to share files within your homegroup can be set based on your preference in the HomeGroup settings. For us to identify if the file sharing issue is caused by the update or an option not being retained in the HomeGroup setting, we'd like to ask
    for additional details. Please answer the following:

• Aside from installing an update, have you also made any recent changes to the HomeGroup settings?
    • What specific update have you installed before the file sharing stopped working? To check the Update history, follow these steps:
    • On the Search bar, type Settings.
    • Open the Settings app from the search result.
    • Click Update & security and check the Windows Update section.
    • Click the Update history link.
    • Have you already checked if the file and printer sharing is enabled in the
      Advanced sharing settings
      in the Control Panel?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried based on the threads that you've read?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can run the built-in troubleshooter for HomeGroup by following the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Open the Control Panel from the search result.
    • Click View all and locate HomeGroup.
    • Click HomeGroup and follow the on-screen guide to run the troubleshooter.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing

1. how to stop windows 10 changes to file sharing - Similar Threads - stop changes file

2. How to stop Win 10 File History constantly changing the window to File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop Win 10 File History constantly changing the window to File Explorer?: I'm using Win 10 Backup File History with the default setttings from Setting > Backup to copy my hard disk. Unfortuately it keeps beeping and changing the active window to File Explorer. Can I stop this and how please?Many thanks...
  3. How to stop Sharing a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to stop Sharing a Folder in Windows 10: [ATTACH]While file or folder sharing is a very convenient and quick way to share your files within your home network, it could be really risky if open to the public. Just for your information, when you allow file sharing to any network, a Users folder is created on your PC...
  4. How to Stop Windows 10 Desktops Sharing Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Stop Windows 10 Desktops Sharing Audio: I don't even know if there would be a fix for this issue. The issue is that when I create new desktops from either task view or win+ctrl+D, the audio from both the desktops is overlapped and shared. Is there a way to separate the audio between the desktops? Thank You in...
  5. File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped: My two desktops on the same LAN, connected to the same router, suddenly stopped being able to share files. It was working just a few days ago. Let's day, the desktops are "A" and "B", and the router name is "R" Both pc sees two media devices, Computer "A" and Router "R",...
  6. how to stop sharing files on windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to stop sharing files on windows: hello, im not sure if this is the right sub to ask this but i have a pc and i let my brother use it to get his work done sometimes so i made him another account to use it the thing is my account has a password and i have some personal files on it but everytime he installs...
  7. How to stop files being shared?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop files being shared?: I recently gave my younger sister my old school laptop that I will not need anymore. When I was setting the device up, I did sign in to my microsoft account. She told me that some of the files I was downloading on my other laptop that I got started popping up on her desktop....
  8. How to stop sharing folder for windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to stop sharing folder for windows 10?: Referring to following link, I would like to know on how to stop sharing folder for windows 10. I cannot find Stop Sharing option on step 5. Use these steps to stop sharing any folder on Windows 10: Open Start. Search for Computer Management and click the top result...
  9. Stop Sharing OneDrive Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Stop Sharing OneDrive Files and Folders: How to: Stop Sharing OneDrive Files and Folders How to Stop Sharing Your OneDrive Files and Folders You can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 tablet, or Windows 10 Mobile phone. You can use...
  10. Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10: How to: Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 How to Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 File and printer sharing is the ability of a computer running Windows to share a folder or attached printer with other computers on a network. File...