Windows 10: how to stop windows 10 changing default printer

Discus and support how to stop windows 10 changing default printer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a couple of windows 10 keep changing default printer and the rest of windows 10 has no problem. which is very odd. I have tried the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by hkusumo, Sep 8, 2020.

1. hkusumo Win User

how to stop windows 10 changing default printer

Hi,

I have a couple of windows 10 keep changing default printer and the rest of windows 10 has no problem. which is very odd.

I have tried the following but not much luck; all windows 10 are part of the SBS 2011 domain.

• I set default printer on windows 10 client.
    • Un-tick let windows 10 manage printer
    • tick windows 10 manage printer I am hoping windows 10 remember last printer used but no luck.
    • I have set group policy not allow windows 10 to manage printer. I am hoping windows 10 leaves default printer alone
    • I set local group policy not allow windows 10 to manage printer. I am hoping windows 10 leaves default printer alone

I don't know what else I can try so windows 10 leave the default printer alone.

Thanks

Regards

- Haris -

:)

hkusumo, Sep 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    Default Printer keeps changing in Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the default Printer keeps changing after you restart the computer.

1. Did this issue started recently? If yes, then what are the recent changes that you have made to the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1:

I suggest you to try turning off “let Windows manage your default printer” and check if you are still facing the issue. To do so follow the steps below:

Open Start and select Settings
    > Devices > Printers & scanners. Turn off
    Let Windows manage my default printer.

how to stop windows 10 changing default printer e5a5440c-c8d4-4151-bd0b-71150386373f?upload=true.png

If you still have issues, please follow the suggestion in method 2.

Method 2:

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
    registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Please take a backup of the registry. Follow the steps given in the link below:

How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows

• Open the
      Run
      dialog box by pressing the Windows key and the R key together.
    • Type
      Regedit
      and hit the Enter key.
    • When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

• In the right pane, right click on
      “LegacyDefaultPrinterMode” and click modify to change the value of
      LegacyDefaultPrinterMode from the default 0 to 1.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Try setting you default printer again.

how to stop windows 10 changing default printer 2e34abe8-5655-4809-95c6-a159b665677b?upload=true.png

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Sep 8, 2020
  4. how to stop windows 10 changing default printer

Change default media player in Windows 10

I want to change my default printer but there is no way to do this in Windows 10. When I right click on the printer that I want as my default there is no choice that says make this default printer. Somehow the choice that is chosen is the fax part of the
    printer. Why is this so complicated? When I look on the Windows website it shows what to do for Windows 7 and the info is incorrect for Windows 10. When I went into Default Programs as was suggested my Ashish Sondhi there was no info as to how to choose
    a default printer. Please help.

Francine-223, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

how to stop windows 10 changing default printer

1. how to stop windows 10 changing default printer - Similar Threads - stop changing default

2. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer: Hello,This problem has been bugging me for a while.My Default Printer changes about once or twice a month, seems like it's after a Windows Update.I would like to prohibit any automated changes to my default printer "." PERIOD! Is there a way to hard code in only allowing...
  3. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer: Hello,This problem has been bugging me for a while.My Default Printer changes about once or twice a month, seems like it's after a Windows Update.I would like to prohibit any automated changes to my default printer "." PERIOD! Is there a way to hard code in only allowing...
  4. Stop Windows OS from Changing My Default Printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. how to stop windows changing default programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to stop windows changing default programs: I had the same question going last Sept. It is locked so I am starting a new one.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-windows-changing-default-programs/a5497ccf-729a-4989-9a67-1bcf6fcb4d2eWell the solutions didn't work. Windows again changed my...
  6. how to stop windows changing default programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to stop windows changing default programs: I had the same question going last Sept. It is locked so I am starting a new one.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-windows-changing-default-programs/a5497ccf-729a-4989-9a67-1bcf6fcb4d2eWell the solutions didn't work. Windows again changed my...
  7. how to stop windows changing default programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Default printer changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default printer changes: [img] [img] I use a samsung printer as my default printer. I also have a Dymo labelwriter 450 twin turbo. When i print a lable on my dymo printer win 10 will set the dymo to my default printer which i obviously don't want. I have "Let windows manage my default printer"...
  9. Default Printer keeps changing in Windows 10

Default Printer keeps changing in Windows 10: We have two usb printers connected DTC1250E and DCP 132W As long as they are connected in that order . Then we can set the DCP132W to the default printer and the muster report runs to it . ie right click on a note pad file and it prints to the DC)132W We can log off and...
  10. Windows changes printer default

Windows changes printer default: I have seen this problem discussed before but never seen an answer that worked. Since the last upgrade, windows defaults to OneNote as a printer even though my HP is the default in settings. I do not have the "Let Windows..." box checked and I have re-installed all my...