Windows 10: How to stop Windows 10 from creating shortcut for every single file

Discus and support How to stop Windows 10 from creating shortcut for every single file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does anyone has the solution to disable the file shortcut autocreation? Thank you.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LynnCLL, May 23, 2020.

1. LynnCLL Win User

How to stop Windows 10 from creating shortcut for every single file

Does anyone has the solution to disable the file shortcut autocreation? Thank you.

:)

LynnCLL, May 23, 2020
  2. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @Echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

How to stop Windows 10 from creating shortcut for every single file Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin How to stop Windows 10 from creating shortcut for every single file :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, May 23, 2020
  3. Flava0ne Win User

Tried both of the VB Scripts that you provided and adding the 9 switch to the batch file but neither was able to create a shortcut to my desktop.

Flava0ne, May 23, 2020
  4. Flava0ne Win User

So basically my Batch File will now look like this:

Code: @Echo off CreateShortcut.exe "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] Thanks man! *Big Grin How to stop Windows 10 from creating shortcut for every single file :D This does exactly what I want done and I'm able to customize the icon for the shortcut without problems. But I'm not quite sure how to use the [icon file] portion you mentioned that it supports. I tried the following Batch File:

Code: @Echo off CreateShortcut.exe "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" "C:\Users\Administrator\Pictures\Notepad.ico"[/quote] It created the shortcut but didn't change the icon.

Flava0ne, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. How to stop Windows 10 from creating shortcut for every single file - Similar Threads - stop creating shortcut

2. Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically: I'm not really sure why but windows is creating a shortcut on AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Network Shortcuts named Documents with the same icon as the User/Documents folder and of course it's appearing on on the This computeron top of the C drive section on the left side...
  3. Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop windows from creating Network Shortcuts automatically: I'm not really sure why but windows is creating a shortcut on AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Network Shortcuts named Documents with the same icon as the User/Documents folder and of course it's appearing on on the This computeron top of the C drive section on the left side...
  4. How can I create shortcuts, single or multiple?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create shortcuts, single or multiple?: In previous iterations, it was: go to a folder, select one or more files or shortcuts, press Ctrl-C, go to the new folder, press Shift-Ctrl-V. Is that correct? Does that sequence still work? The instructions I have found for Windows 11 suggest a more complicated sequence....
  5. How can I create shortcuts, single or multiple?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create shortcuts, single or multiple?: In previous iterations, it was: go to a folder, select one or more files or shortcuts, press Ctrl-C, go to the new folder, press Shift-Ctrl-V. Is that correct? Does that sequence still work? The instructions I have found for Windows 11 suggest a more complicated sequence....
  6. Create shortcut from file in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create shortcut from file in OneDrive: Am I mistaken that in the past you could place a word file shortcut on the android home page. I can't see a way to do it. I also couldn't find a way to copy the file to my android documents folder, from where I planned to create the shortcut. I eventually had to move the...
  7. How can I stop Windows 10 from creating file "SHORTCUTS" in file-manager?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I stop Windows 10 from creating file "SHORTCUTS" in file-manager?: Using my drive D: using a ScanDisk drive it seems Windows10 automatically creates SHORTCUT files of the files I am using and I would like to know how to stop this! Am I lost or what? There must be a command for this function buy I have nit yet be able to find it, that is the...
  8. create a single shortcut to multiple computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create a single shortcut to multiple computers: I have shared folders on multiple pc's all win10. I want to create a single shortcut to update files on all the pc's simultaneously. So far using networks drives or shared folders, I still have to update each pc separately, one after the other. Thanks...
  9. How to create a shortcut for File History on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create a shortcut for File History on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]File History is a useful feature in the Windows 10 operating system. This feature makes an automatic back up versions of important files on a computer to internal or external storage on a computer. These files can also be backed [...] This post How to create...
  10. Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create File History shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a...