Windows 10: How to stop Windows 10 from re-opening applications on start up?

Discus and support How to stop Windows 10 from re-opening applications on start up? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since one of the recent releases when booting up Windows 10 any applications that were open prior when shutting down open again. This didn't used to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by tdehan, Sep 20, 2018.

1. tdehan Win User

How to stop Windows 10 from re-opening applications on start up?

Since one of the recent releases when booting up Windows 10 any applications that were open prior when shutting down open again. This didn't used to happen. Whoever thought this was ever a good feature? How do I configure Windows 10 to NOT open previously open applications on startup?

:)

tdehan, Sep 20, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 20, 2018
  3. chadwick0 Win User
    Windows fails to open applications

Hi,

Once I have several applications open Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 refuses to open further application. I have heavy-weight applications like Delphi and Eclipse open, but the OS has coped with this in the past.

No error messages are reported by the application I am attempting to open, and there are no messages in the event viewer. What is really strange is that once the OS gets itself into this state, it appears that the OS can't allocate enough memory to perform simple API calls. If I go into an application that is already open and try to open the file menu, or right click on the taskbar to open the context menu, nothing happens.

If I close a few applications, then the problem goes away. The Task Manager performance tab indicates that I still have ~1Gb of physical memory available.

I think this could be caused by:

- A memory module is damaged. My memory is comprised of 1x1Gb modules. When the system attempts to allocate memory in the second module, it is unable to. I think this is a bit of a long-shot because I wouldn't expect my PC to boot if a memory module was playing-up

- I've installed something that has put something malicious on my PC. The only things I've installed recently are PRGrep and WinGrep, but unfortunately I didn't make a system restore point, and windows hasn't retained those old restore points. However a full Sophos scan doesn't show-up anything.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix this welcome because I'm baffled as to what is going on.

Thanks,

Frank.

chadwick0, Sep 20, 2018
  4. How to stop Windows 10 from re-opening applications on start up?

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

For those that don't have the tray notification.

If you don’t think any of these conditions apply to you, and you’re still not seeing the icon, you can also try running the solution below, which will verify your device meets all the prerequisites and then turn on the Get Windows 10 app:

• Open Notepad
    • Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
    REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx

if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

:CompatCheckRunning

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

:RunGWX

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

• Click File, and then Save As
    • In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

• Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

• Select the folder you would like to save the file to.For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder.Then click Save.

• Open an elevated command prompt.(From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and selectRun as administrator.)

• Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6.In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:

C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd
    The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 – 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient.

If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates. Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

ThE_MaD_ShOt, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

How to stop Windows 10 from re-opening applications on start up?

1. How to stop Windows 10 from re-opening applications on start up? - Similar Threads - stop opening applications

2. How to stop Windows 10 Start Menu page from opening with mouseover?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Windows 10 Start Menu page from opening with mouseover?: I'm using Windows 10 Home Version 22H2. Whenever I accidentally hover over the taskbar or start menu, the Windows start menu page opens. This gets really annoying when I am just trying to scroll on a webpage or type into a document. How do I stop this from happening?...
  3. How to stop Windows 10 Start Menu page from opening with mouseover?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows 10 Start Menu page from opening with mouseover?: I'm using Windows 10 Home Version 22H2. Whenever I accidentally hover over the taskbar or start menu, the Windows start menu page opens. This gets really annoying when I am just trying to scroll on a webpage or type into a document. How do I stop this from happening?...
  4. How to stop Windows 10 Start Menu page from opening with mouseover?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how to stop a blank Word document from opening at start up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to stop a blank Word document from opening at start up: how to stop a blank Word document from opening at start up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-a-blank-word-document-from-opening-at/0e825627-1950-47d0-a38d-6de0d35ba5ec
  6. How to stop multiple Word documents opening when Windows 10 starts up.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop multiple Word documents opening when Windows 10 starts up.: I found the solution posted by KumaranathFernando in this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-opening-automatically-on-startup-windows-10/34064263-620a-4aee-930f-ff92c0511f89?page=2 but the thread is locked so putting more detail here:...
  7. Applications disappeared from start-up?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Applications disappeared from start-up?: OS Name Version Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.18362 Build 18362 Several programs, of which include qBitorrent, Steam, and Discord, have seemingly been removed from start-up. Windows hasn't updated for a few weeks now, and I've scanned my computer for viruses and came up...
  8. Stopping a Bing window from automatically opening on start up

in Cortana
    Stopping a Bing window from automatically opening on start up: I recently had my HP home desktop computer upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via a clean install. Cortana was intentionally not activated during the install. When I now start the computer or when the computer awakens from a sleep state an infernal Bing window appears and want this...
  9. how to stop windows 10 update from re-installing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to stop windows 10 update from re-installing: Hi, Can you tell me how to stop certain windows 10 update from re-installing. I have HP zbook G5 with docking station, after windows doing the update, sometimes when I press power button from docking station, for some reason the notebook doesn't start up, so I have to...
  10. Stop Windows Automatically Re-Opening Applications After Booting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Windows Automatically Re-Opening Applications After Booting: Recently whenever I boot my computer Windows automatically opens some applications that were open when my computer was last shut down. This is very annoying; I don't want anything (other than applications I've specified to start on start-up) to load when I restart my...