Windows 10: How to stop Windows 10 from updating when I am running long term scientific code

Discus and support How to stop Windows 10 from updating when I am running long term scientific code in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am working on scientific research code and it is absolutely unacceptable that Windows keeps restarting while my code is running. I have read other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MichaelBrice2, Nov 17, 2019.

1. How to stop Windows 10 from updating when I am running long term scientific code

I am working on scientific research code and it is absolutely unacceptable that Windows keeps restarting while my code is running. I have read other threads and it is absolutely unacceptable that the solution to this problem is to simply sit on your computer all day long, every day until your code ends to stop Windows 10 from trying to update every hour with the delay update options. My code runs for days, even weeks, I should not have to constantly monitor my computer to make sure it doesn't update on me regardless of what settings I set.

Does anyone know of any solution to this problem that actually works for long term constant use? I use Windows for both personal and scientific purposes on my personal desktop because of the convenience of a single operating system, should I just give up and switch my scientific purposes back to Linux?

:)

MichaelBrice2, Nov 17, 2019
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Nov 17, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 17, 2019
  4. daikin990 Win User

How to stop Windows 10 from updating when I am running long term scientific code

win 10 pro 64 stop code 0x0000007b 0xffffffffc0000034

The STOP 0x0000007B errors are caused by device driver problems, viruses, data corruption, and sometimes even hardware failures. You have tried update your drivers. If the problem still persist, try the steps:

• Run chkdsk on your hard drive. ...
    • Perform an extensive test of your hard drive. ...
    • Run the fixmbr command to create a new master boot record. ...
    • Clear the CMOS. ...
    • Update your BIOS. ...
    • Update the hard drive controller's firmware if possible. ...
    • Repair your Windows installation. ...
    • Perform basic STOP error troubleshooting.

daikin990, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

How to stop Windows 10 from updating when I am running long term scientific code

1. How to stop Windows 10 from updating when I am running long term scientific code - Similar Threads - stop updating running

2. Windows 10 LTSC Long-Term Support Channel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 LTSC Long-Term Support Channel: Technically some versions of Windows 10 will continue support beyond October 2025 if on the LTSC branch - and possibly through Extended Security Updates like Windows 7. Sure early on the only complaint of Windows 10 was forcing updates without having the option to delay them...
  3. Windows 10 LTSC Long-Term Support Channel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 LTSC Long-Term Support Channel: Technically some versions of Windows 10 will continue support beyond October 2025 if on the LTSC branch - and possibly through Extended Security Updates like Windows 7. Sure early on the only complaint of Windows 10 was forcing updates without having the option to delay them...
  4. Windows 10 LTSC Long-Term Support Channel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Long term charging issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long term charging issue: Shortly after taking delivery of my Tablet PC, 2-in-1, 5 years ago, it developed a glitch which I have managed to live with fairly well. It is now becoming more of a problem. In order to charge it I have had to restart or shutdown and re-boot. Only then does charging start....
  6. How do i stop a long running script

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do i stop a long running script: How do I stop a long running script https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-a-long-running-script/fbe271f3-0afd-4781-af17-9ce89270cf4b
  7. How do I stop long running scripts??

How do I stop long running scripts??: How do I stop long running scripts?? I have read that others have the same problem and asked the same question but there have been no answer given. If you do not know just say so and we can move on to some one else....
  8. how to stop updates from running

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to stop updates from running: windows home edition 64 bit I occasionally disable windows updates from d/l to save bandwidth usage today I did that and it says stopping but after several hours hasn't. how can I spot it without using system restore? 127510
  9. Long term BSOD WHEA

Long term BSOD WHEA: Long term problem with crashing, over a year, updated from win 8.1 to 10 in an effort to correct it, to no avail. First crash happened while watching video in in the Chrome browser. Crashes did not happen using the internet explorer browser. Videos in the steam app,...
  10. Long Term WiFi Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Long Term WiFi Issues: Hi all, I am having a strange issue when trying to establish and stay connected to a WiFi connection for extended periods of time, I am using my microPC as a host for a couple of tasks so it needs to stay powered on and remotely accessible for extended periods. However I...