Windows 10: How to stop Windows 10 Search from showing results from Sys folders?

Discus and support How to stop Windows 10 Search from showing results from Sys folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; the most annoying are shortcut results from 2 'recent' folders: C:\Users\ADMIN\Recent and C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Roaming\ folders. I checked the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by crazyfool, Sep 24, 2019.

1. crazyfool Win User

How to stop Windows 10 Search from showing results from Sys folders?

the most annoying are shortcut results from 2 'recent' folders:
    C:\Users\ADMIN\Recent
    and
    C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Roaming\
    folders.

I checked the Indexing options and C is unchecked from indexing locations, there are no folders I don't want except Start Menu (could not find a way to remove it).

How do I get rid of search results from 'Recent' and AppData?

:)

crazyfool, Sep 24, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Hi, I don't have C:\Users\ADMIN\Recent
    but if I deselect this:

How to stop Windows 10 Search from showing results from Sys folders? [​IMG]

and click OK, the number of indexed items reduces.

I then find that items here:
    C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Roaming\
    are not indexed, exactly as I'd expect.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Jan Pac Win User
    how to stop web results showing in search

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query here in Microsoft Community.

Here's how you stop web results from showing up on every search you do on Windows 10 while improving local results for files, apps, and settings:

• Click to open the search box in the taskbar.
    • Click the Notebook icon.
    • Click Settings from the list of options.
    Note: On Windows 10 build 14316 and later versions the Settings button to access Cortana setting may appear outside of Notebook in the navigation pane on the left.

4. On the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.

5. After disabling Cortana, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

You will now notice that the search box in the taskbar no longer says "Ask me anything," instead, it reads "Search Windows," indicating that you have completed the task. Try to do a search one more time, and this time, you'll see that search results will
    no longer appear.

In the case you need a more advanced search experience, type your search query, and click the
    Search my stuff button. In the advanced search section, you can sort results by relevance or time, and you can limit the result to a particular category (e.g., Documents, Settings, apps, etc.).

Keep in mind that stopping web results from showing up in the taskbar search box will also turn off Cortana in your system, which means that you'll have to make the decision of which experience is more important to you.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards.

Jan Pac, Sep 24, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. How to stop Windows 10 Search from showing results from Sys folders? - Similar Threads - stop Search showing

2. Windows 11 Search Bar is not showing Results from Web

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Search Bar is not showing Results from Web: My Search bar is showing the Web option but not the results from the web. I think it works as offlineI tried using another user profile, there is no such issue on that profile.Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2 Installed on ‎29-‎Dec-‎21 OS build 22000.739Experience Windows...
  3. How to Hide Files and Folders from Windows Search Results

in Windows 10 News
    How to Hide Files and Folders from Windows Search Results: [ATTACH]In this article, we will demonstrate how you can hide files and folders from your Search Results in Windows 11/10. There is a built-in feature to sync in and index files on the PC and updates the data whenever there is a change. The search field, one that’s available...
  4. how to stop web result showing in search

in Cortana
    how to stop web result showing in search: Can i disable web result to not showing in my search box and show only file and floder in my laptop?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-web-result-showing-in-search/891f09ce-7b31-4ed9-9d01-d6b70f86d0d9
  5. How to Stop Intel Sys Driver from Showing Up in wushowhide

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Stop Intel Sys Driver from Showing Up in wushowhide: 20H2 In -- wushowhide -- I keep Seeing & Hiding the Driver .... INTEL - System - 7/18/1968 12:00:00 a.m. - 10.1.16.7 ....... Group Pol/ WU/ Don't Let Win Install Drivers is Enabled ........... HP and Intel Software Sppt Asst apps Show Nothing ...... Any idea WHY THIS...
  6. Windows 10 not showing Search results from secondary drive

in Cortana
    Windows 10 not showing Search results from secondary drive: I have been having this problem for years. Whenever I add a secondary drive for indexing in Indexing Options, the "items indexed" count increases but NO RESULTS FROM THE DRIVE ARE RETURNED WHEN I SEARCH FROM THE START MENU. If I open the drive in Explorer and use Explorer's...
  7. Display full location of a folder from search results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display full location of a folder from search results: Hello, I have been searching through a lot of files lately, with a lot of similarly named folders turning up in the results. I need to know where the folder in the search results actually is. However, if I right click the folder in the search results and choose "Open in New...
  8. Windows Search not showing results from other drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search not showing results from other drives: When I use the Start-embedded search, it shows results from my C: drive but no other drives. I do have the additional drives checked in Indexing Options screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/4kuEao1.png. I have tried going into Advanced and Rebuilding the index multiple times,...
  9. How to stop windows 10 from searching the web for results via Start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop windows 10 from searching the web for results via Start menu: I wanted to use a software that I didn't know if I had installed it yet or not so I clicked on the Start icon and typed out the program's name. At first, it looked like I had it but when I clicked on it, it took me to a web page. When I repeated it again, it appears that the...
  10. Windows Search shows results from other logins

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search shows results from other logins: I've got my PC set up with local, offline accounts for myself and my wife. When logged in as myself, I can type a partial document name in the search bar, and the results are a mixture of my files and my wife's files. I can't actually open my wife's files; but there is no...