Windows 10: How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in

Discus and support How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 11 may remember which application windows and File Explorer windows you had open the last time to reopen them again. The browser or Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 20, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in

Windows 11 may remember which application windows and File Explorer windows you had open the last time to reopen them again. The browser or Microsoft Excel document, which was open the last time, may be opened automatically on the next start. The feature was introduced in Windows 10 and Microsoft kept it in its new operating system.

How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in windows-autostart-programs.png

While the reopening of program windows can be handy at times, it can sometimes be a frustrating experience as well. Handy, because you don't have to launch programs manually, provided that the reopened programs will be used in the active session as well.

Frustrating, because program windows may be opened, which you don't require. There may also be a delay between the launching of previously opened applications and the actual loading of them.

How to stop Windows 11 from reopening applications

How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in automatically-save-restartable-apps-windows-11.png

The main preference that Windows 11 uses to determine whether to reopen programs is found in the Settings.

1. Select Start and then Settings from the Start Menu. You may also use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I for quick Settings access.
    2. Go to Accounts.
    3. Select Sign-In options.
    4. Scroll down to the "Additional Settings" section on the page that opens.
    5. Toggle the preference "Automatically save my restartable apps and restart them when I sign back in" so that it reads Off.

The change takes effect immediately. You may undo the change by repeating the steps above. The preference should have the On status in that case in the end.

The description reveals that only some apps and programs will be restarted when the feature is enabled. Third-party applications need to register as "restartable apps" to be included in the reopening when the feature is enabled.

Note: Applications configured to run at system start will still do so. Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Windows Task Manager. Select "more details" if you have the basic window, and switch to Startup. Windows 11 lists the main startup applications there. Right-click on any and select Disable to block the program from starting with Windows 11.

How to stop Windows 11 from reopening File Explorer folders

How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in windows-11-dont-restore-folders-on-restart.png

Windows 11 may also reopen folders of the default file manager on the next start of the system; this feature is controlled elsewhere.

Here is how you turn it off:

1. Open File Explorer on the Windows 11 device.
    2. Select the "three dots" in the header and in the menu that opens Options.
    3. Switch to the View tab in the new window that opens.
    4. Scroll down until you find the preference "Restore previous folder windows at log-on".
    5. Remove the checkmark from the preference to turn the feature off.

Windows 11 won't reload File Explorer windows anymore from that moment on. You may undo the change at any time by checking the preference again.

Now You: do you make use of the auto-reopen feature of Windows?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 20, 2022

2. Programs Reopening after restart in windows 10.

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Yes, 1709 has a slightly buggy instant of Auto Reopen. Hopefully, it will be fixed in a coming update.

Check this :

Stop Auto Reopen of Programs after Restart in Windows 10

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/stop-auto-reo...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jun 20, 2022
  3. Dugular7 Win User
    Windows 10 reopens program after shutdown or restart

Hello,

Recently, Windows 10 is reopening programs that were open when the computer is restarted or shutdown.

My wife and I both use the computer, and neither of us like this new feature. We have to use the classic shutdown method to ensure no programs are reopened.

Im a gamer as well, so hate the idea that if my wife last used the computer on her account, my computer will reopen her programs even if ive signed into my account.

How can I disable the feature properly? I want Windows to behave how it did when I paid for it: Restart and Shutdowns did NOT reopen programs.

PS: Microsoft, please stop saying youre seriously considering gamers every Windows release, when you add features like this without the ability to turn it off.

Dugular7, Jun 20, 2022
  4. Dugular7 Win User

Windows 10 reopens program after shutdown or restart

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I have cortana disabled and dont keep a microphone plugged in.

Just to explain further, I know ways to avoid programs reopening by shutting down and restarting in specific ways, therefore my question is not to find other ways to avoid programs reopening on startup. What Im after is a way to avoid programs reopening
    *regardless* of the shut down or restart method used.

Its not the end of the world for me if there isnt a setting, of course we will be fine adapting, but if there is a way to properly disable it then that would make my experience with Windows better.

Dugular7, Jun 20, 2022
Thema:

1. How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in - Similar Threads - stop reopening program

2. how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?: hey im trying to play FH5 a game published by Microsoft and noticed why i was stuck on the loading screen because windows keeps pausing a critical program that syncs the data. any help would be appreciated....
  3. how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do you stop windows 11 from suspending programs?: hey im trying to play FH5 a game published by Microsoft and noticed why i was stuck on the loading screen because windows keeps pausing a critical program that syncs the data. any help would be appreciated....
  4. How to stop Windows 11 from updating on shutdown or restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows 11 from updating on shutdown or restart?: I've been using Windows 11 on my work laptop for over a year with no problems with automatic updates whatsoever.Note that I am a software engineer and use a dual boot configuration with Linux and Windows 11. I use my laptop all day long at work, often rebooting, and REQUIRE...
  5. How to stop Windows 11 from updating on shutdown or restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Windows 11 from updating on shutdown or restart?: I've been using Windows 11 on my work laptop for over a year with no problems with automatic updates whatsoever.Note that I am a software engineer and use a dual boot configuration with Linux and Windows 11. I use my laptop all day long at work, often rebooting, and REQUIRE...
  6. Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?: I don't want this feature. I've never wanted it. I don't kick my power button by mistake. I have a UPS. I'm responsible enough to save what I'm working on in frequent intervals. I do not experience data loss. I'm sick of Windows opening Excel, my email and browser back up....
  7. Reopening programs from last session on Windows 10 after reboot/restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reopening programs from last session on Windows 10 after reboot/restart: Hi I want to reopen all programs from last session, I saw there is a related thread here, but no answer was given. In the last reply Charlie said there is an option: Settings - Accounts - Sign In Options “Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device...
  8. How to stop windows from reopening apps on restart?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to stop windows from reopening apps on restart?: Exactly what it says, what's the fix? is there any way I can stop this from happening? Besides taking extra steps to shut down, 99.9% of the time a restart is done to restart WITH ZERO RUNNING PROGRAMS, If I wanted my programs to restart every time I restarted the pc, I would...
  9. Disable reopening programs after windows update restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable reopening programs after windows update restart: Occasionally, a forced restart is happening on my Windows 10 computer. When the OS is restarted every program that I've had prior to the restart is reopened at startup. The programs are reopened like I would just double-click them. I usually hold 5-6 windows of Visual Studio...
  10. How to stop windows from restarting automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop windows from restarting automatically: This is becoming a big issue for me - I have lots of windows open like spreadsheets, documents, web pages, etc. I never shut my computer off but at night, windows keeps rebooting my machine and I'm losing a lot of work. It seems to be getting worse - rebooting more often of...