Windows 10: How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

Discus and support How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm running WIN10 v 1909 and Avast antivirus. Since the upgrade to WIN10 v 1903, I've been getting an error message telling me Windows Defender... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by silverfox2019, Nov 25, 2019.

1. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

I'm running WIN10 v 1909 and Avast antivirus.

Since the upgrade to WIN10 v 1903, I've been getting an error message telling me Windows Defender Antivirus update(s) have failed and specifically - "..Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.305.2729.0)...Error 0x80070643...Retry"

I see that Windows Defender Antivirus is turned off. Despite this, WIN10 continues to download Windows Defender updates, it then finds it cannot install the updates because - I'm guessing - the program Windows Defender Antivirus is not running. I think this then generates the above error message.

Would stopping WIN10 seeking the WDA updates stop the error messages being generated and, if so, how can I stop WDA seeking the updates. The WDA registry is protected.

:)

silverfox2019, Nov 25, 2019
  2. afornal Win User

Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, Nov 25, 2019
  3. Windows Defender update stuck on "0% Downloading"

Good Morning

For the last 3 weeks I for some reason can't update windows Defender. It's stuck on downloading.

Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.275.1086.0)

Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.259.652.0)

Once the update doesn't work I get the following error message:

Code:
    [b]Error 0x80070003 while downloading update for Windows Defender.
    [/b]
    I've tried everything also methods below:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.
    • Select Troubleshooting. Click on
      and select Windows Update troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Try below given method if issue persist.

Method 2:

If issue persist I suggest you to reset Windows Update component. Kindly follow the below given steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • Stop the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.
      • net stop bits
      • net stop wuauserv
      • net stop appidsvc
      • net stop cryptsvc
    • Rename the softare distribution folders backup copies. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.
      • Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
      • Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
    • Restart the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.
      • net start bits
      • net start wuauserv
      • net start appidsvc
      • net start cryptsvc
    • Restart your PC and check if it works.
    Method 3:

The system file may have got corrupted due to corruption in system file. I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

PierreCoetzee1, Nov 25, 2019
  4. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

Windows Defender Antivirus 1.297.1248.0 fails to download.

This morning 7/17/19 and yesterday 7/16/19 we found that the Windows Defender Antivirus update will stop downloading on a random percentage. This stops all other updates from downloading. The only way we could bypass this issue was to turn off Windows
    Defender Antivirus in Group Policy editor. Is there any other way to get around this issue?

ericflorey, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

1. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates - Similar Threads - stop Defender Antivirus

2. Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates: I want to use Windows Defender Firewall to block outbound connections. I've configured it to block outbound connections and added a rule to allow the browser. However Windows Defender Antivirus then cannot download antivirus updates. I've tried adding a rule to allow...
  3. Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking Windows Defender Antivirus antivirus updates: I want to use Windows Defender Firewall to block outbound connections. I've configured it to block outbound connections and added a rule to allow the browser. However Windows Defender Antivirus then cannot download antivirus updates. I've tried adding a rule to allow...
  4. How to download Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to download Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...: I am not able to download Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.395.92.0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-download-security-intelligence-update-for/d61208fa-4f4e-4aff-8eb2-b84ff66f3809
  5. How to download Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...

How to download Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...: I am not able to download Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.395.92.0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-download-security-intelligence-update-for/d61208fa-4f4e-4aff-8eb2-b84ff66f3809
  6. I want to stop all windows defender antivirus and malware defender updates

I want to stop all windows defender antivirus and malware defender updates: There are a lot of windows updates and my laptop doesn't have very good specs so its really laggy and slow Things like anti malware executable and cryptographic services take up 100% disk and slow everything I really want to stop it from using it or run at all pls help i dont...
  7. How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”?: Windows 10.0.18362.778: How to stop “windows defender antivirus service”? I couldn’t figure out how to stop “windows defender antivirus service” [img] 154767
  8. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates: Moved from Windows Updates section, as suggested I'm running WIN10 Home edition v1909 and Avast antivirus. Since the upgrade to WIN10 v 1903, I've been getting an error message telling me Windows Defender Antivirus update(s) have failed and specifically - "..Security...
  9. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates: I'm running WIN10 v 1909 and Avast antivirus. Since the upgrade to WIN10 v 1903, I've been getting an error message telling me Windows Defender Antivirus update(s) have failed and specifically - "..Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...
  10. Windows Defender Antivirus not Updating

Windows Defender Antivirus not Updating: Windows Defender Antivirus is not getting update and showing message of Virus and Spyware Definitions could not be installed. Please Provide me Suggestion.[ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop defender from downloading updates background