Windows 10: How to stop windows from changing my default sound devices?

Discus and support How to stop windows from changing my default sound devices? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This has been an ongoing issue that i really hate. everytime i plug in a new tv, a new controller, a new anything that windows recognizes has a speaker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NewVirtue, Jan 1, 2019.

1. NewVirtue Win User

How to stop windows from changing my default sound devices?

This has been an ongoing issue that i really hate. everytime i plug in a new tv, a new controller, a new anything that windows recognizes has a speaker or microphone, windows will automatically change my default audio device and my default communication device to that new thing. i hate it!!!! i know what i want my audio to run through. i set it myself. stop changing my audio device!!!

how do i get windows to stop doing this??? this is particilar frustrating with playstation controllers which have both a speaker and a microphone. i have multiple controllers and multiple front usb ports. every time a new controller gets used with a new port everything gets swapped around. i just want windows to leave my settings alone. please help

:)

NewVirtue, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Aceman.au Win User

Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Jan 1, 2019
  3. dual monitors stops sound

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• When will the sound disable, when playing through main monitor or the extended monitor?
    • Did you try enabling the sound from the sound drivers and check if it helps?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    This issue causes because the monitor automatically takes the HDMI sound as the Default input. Disable and enable the speakers and check if it helps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the volume control and then
      Properties
    • When you connect the HDMI it becomes the default output device, even though it has no speakers.
    • You need to change this back to "Speakers" and set as default.

How to stop windows from changing my default sound devices? [​IMG]

Hope this helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Solaris17 Win User

2 sound devices—one dedicated to FRAPS—will this work?

most games dont have a select sound device option so you would need to change your default sound device in the windows CP and then change the sound device to the other in ventrillo

Solaris17, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. How to stop windows from changing my default sound devices? - Similar Threads - stop changing default

2. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select an audio device as the default audio device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to...
  3. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select a device as the default device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to reset my...
  4. Stop changing my default audio device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop changing my default audio device: I can't even believe that I have to say this, but if I select a device as the default device on my system - that means I want to use that device as my default audio device.I've disabled all other devices, and every single time I wake my PC or restart I have to reset my...
  5. Preventing Windows from unauthorized changing of default sound devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Preventing Windows from unauthorized changing of default sound devices: Hey folks, I handle many audio devices on my Windows PC. And successfully so, as long as Windows is distracted. There is the Realtek system audio. Then all three Monitors bring their audio capabilities and drivers through HDMI and Display Port and the projector as well. There...
  6. How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10: When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or other audio devices to your PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change default Sound Output Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Output Device We...
  7. How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10: When you connect more than one microphone or another recording device to your Windows 10 PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Input Device We can...
  8. Stop windows changing default sound devices when a new device is connected

Stop windows changing default sound devices when a new device is connected: Firstly. Regarding Administrators / Moderators. Do not interfere with this thread, especially since most of you never bother to read the questions properly or provide relavent solutions. This threadshould not have been closed. Smittychat. Did not bother to read the question...
  9. How to stop Windows from changing the name of the sound output device?

How to stop Windows from changing the name of the sound output device?: I am on Windows 10 Version10.0.18363 Build 18363. My PC is connected to my Yamaha TSR-700 AVR via HDMI. From the AVR, I connect to the TV. When my TV is off, and I play a CD on my PC, then I can upmix it to the surround decoder. And all my speakers are used. When my TV...
  10. How to stop Windows from automatically switching default sound devices on connection?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop Windows from automatically switching default sound devices on connection?: If I connect any sort of new audio device, bluetooth speakers, usb mic, etc., Windows automatically sets that new device as the default and starts using it. That's really annoying, as I have to be switching the default devices all the time, which in itself is a bit of a...