Windows 10: How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

Discus and support How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I do a back up to my external hard drive, Windows tiome stamps filenames with a UTC date in Parentheses. These are d\istracting when looking for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by TomGresko, Apr 10, 2023.

1. TomGresko Win User

How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

When I do a back up to my external hard drive, Windows tiome stamps filenames with a UTC date in Parentheses. These are d\istracting when looking for files, How do I prevent Windows from UTC time stamp on the file name?This just started happening about a month ago. Never had this issue!

:)

TomGresko, Apr 10, 2023

2. C6-01 Symbian Anna Date Time Stamps in UTC, not local time

After recording audio clips or taking pictures, the date time stamp on the files are UTC time, not local time. This is different than the prior firmware and is a defect. I reported this to Nokia.

musiclvr---01, Apr 10, 2023
  3. TuckerCox Win User
    Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp after Win 10 Anniversary edition install

Recently did a Win 10 anniversary ed. install. Backup files on external hard drive lost their original filenames. Ditto for folders. Folder name is 3 digits, e.g., 707 or 828. Filenames begin with three digit number followed by UTC time stamp in parentheses,
    for example

139 (2016_08_10 20_14_08 UTC) or

225 (2016_08_10 20_14_08 UTC) or

1298 (2016_08_10 20_14_08 UTC)

Any way i can restore the original filenames? Otherwise, i have to view each file and give it a new name, all 700 of them!!

Ahhh!! Life in the gizmo world.

Thanks in advance. Tuck

TuckerCox, Apr 10, 2023
  4. How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

UTC files

A brief explanation of File History might help.

This tool creates a number of copies of your data files. To distinguish between versions, it appends a date stamp to each file name. This is what you call a "UTC backup".

While the external backup medium is connected, File History will copy your data files to this medium. When the medium is disconnected, File History will copy your files to a buffer area on the internal disk. This buffer area is cleared automatically when
    you reconnect your external medium.

If your buffer area is no longer cleared then File History is probably confused, perhaps because you changed or manipulated your external backup medium. To deconfuse it I would do this:

1. Create an image of your system drive, using a tool such as Macrium Reflect.
    2. Do some spot checks to ensure that you could retrieve individual files from the image.
    3. Wipe the file history folder on your external and internal disks.
    4. Start afresh with File History.

Frederik Long, Apr 10, 2023
Thema:

How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

1. How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up... - Similar Threads - stop creating annoying

2. How to change time zone from UTC to UK time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change time zone from UTC to UK time: How to change time zone from UTC to UK Standard time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-time-zone-from-utc-to-uk-time/febaa38c-117f-494b-9d34-04c4ae2f4c7b
  3. How do I stop file date and time stamp from changing when MOVING files in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I stop file date and time stamp from changing when MOVING files in Windows 10?: I am moving a large number of photos to various different folders.I had downloaded the files from cloud storage into Zip folders. When I extracted the photographs from the Zip folders, the file date/time stamp remained intact.I then moved the files for March 2019 into a...
  4. How do I stop file date and time stamp from changing when MOVING files in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop file date and time stamp from changing when MOVING files in Windows 10?: I am moving a large number of photos to various different folders.I had downloaded the files from cloud storage into Zip folders. When I extracted the photographs from the Zip folders, the file date/time stamp remained intact.I then moved the files for March 2019 into a...
  5. How do I stop file date and time stamp from changing when MOVING files in Windows 10?

6. How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...: When I do a back up to my external hard drive, Windows tiome stamps filenames with a UTC date in Parentheses. These are d\istracting when looking for files, How do I prevent Windows from UTC time stamp on the file name?This just started happening about a month ago. Never had...
  7. How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...: When I do a back up to my external hard drive, Windows tiome stamps filenames with a UTC date in Parentheses. These are d\istracting when looking for files, How do I prevent Windows from UTC time stamp on the file name?This just started happening about a month ago. Never had...
  8. Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp: Hi,Just like the title mentions it, my files were renamed and they now have an UTC with a time stamp on them. Because of that, programs can't find them. I obviously can't rename all them one by one because of the large number of files. Someone had an issue similar in 2016 and...
  9. How to change the format for file time stamps

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the format for file time stamps: Googling yielded only how to change the date itself. That is not what I want. I want theformat changed. Currently, file time stamp dates display as 2020-4-16. I want it to show as 16-04-2020 or 04-16-2020. The year is useless to me in the grand scheme of things. Going into...
  10. Ideas for preserving time stamps of backed-up files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ideas for preserving time stamps of backed-up files?: So, one of my primary backup solutions is CrashPlan, but it doesn't preserve the creation times or files after you restore them. Does anyone have any ideas in regard to software that could possibly back up time stamps in a separate database, which you could then apply to...