Windows 10: How to stop windows from installing a specific update?

Discus and support How to stop windows from installing a specific update? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I noticed that this particular update keeps causing certain games to crash whenever I play them. It gets fixed whenever I uninstall the update. How do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Alphium, Nov 16, 2020.

1. How to stop windows from installing a specific update?

I noticed that this particular update keeps causing certain games to crash whenever I play them. It gets fixed whenever I uninstall the update. How do I stop windows from trying to install the update?

submitted by /u/Alphium
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Alphium, Nov 16, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    [Windows 10] hide/prohibit install of specific Windows Update

I have never intentionally used windows to provide my device drivers (except for older printers without Vendor drivers for clients). I only manually update from the vendor websites. Will just have to make a list of things to disable/remove if I finally decide to load it up on a machine.

Ahhzz, Nov 16, 2020
  4. How to stop windows from installing a specific update?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

How to stop windows from installing a specific update?

1. How to stop windows from installing a specific update? - Similar Threads - stop installing specific

2. How can I stop Windows Update from updating a specific driver but keep updating the rest?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I stop Windows Update from updating a specific driver but keep updating the rest?: Windows update keeps updating my integrated graphics with a driver than causes issues with some games. For these games to work correctly I have to install a newer version of the software that controls the graphics amd and windows update keeps updating to the obsolete version...
  3. How can I stop Windows Update from updating a specific driver but keep updating the rest?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop Windows Update from updating a specific driver but keep updating the rest?: Windows update keeps updating my integrated graphics with a driver than causes issues with some games. For these games to work correctly I have to install a newer version of the software that controls the graphics amd and windows update keeps updating to the obsolete version...
  4. How to stop windows update from installing driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop windows update from installing driver updates: I have ASUS Vivobook 16X OLED with AMD Ryzen 7 500H and Radeon built in graphic driver. I've faced an issue with screen flickering which is caused by an outdated graphics software, and AMD recently released an update which solved the issue. Now windows updated forces me to...
  5. How to stop windows update from installing driver updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop windows update from installing driver updates: I have ASUS Vivobook 16X OLED with AMD Ryzen 7 500H and Radeon built in graphic driver. I've faced an issue with screen flickering which is caused by an outdated graphics software, and AMD recently released an update which solved the issue. Now windows updated forces me to...
  6. How to stop specific cumulative update from installing? KB5007186

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop specific cumulative update from installing? KB5007186: Currently by 15th November 2021, there is a new cumulative update KB5007186 that causing a lot of issue once installed into my PC. I already uninstalled the update once in safe mode. Now Windows Update is going to reinstall it into my PC again. I can't access Windows Update...
  7. How to stop specific cumulative update from installing? KB5007186

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop specific cumulative update from installing? KB5007186: Currently by 15th November 2021, there is a new cumulative update KB5007186 that causing a lot of issue once installed into my PC. I already uninstalled the update once in safe mode. Now Windows Update is going to reinstall it into my PC again. I can't access Windows Update...
  8. How to stop specific cumulative update from installing? KB5007186

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. How to you stop a specific update from installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to you stop a specific update from installing: I have several computers that were effected by the March critical update released on March 9th effecting users printing to copiers. I have uninstalled the update several times and Windows keeps reinstalling them. How can I target a specific update not to reinstall?...
  10. How to stop bugged update from installing ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop bugged update from installing ?: That's just it. This update is bugged and gives me an awful display experience. I installed windows several times to track it down, and I finally did. Now I need a way to not install it. And uninstalling it after it gets installed is not a solution. If it starts bugging my...