Windows 10: How to stop Windows from treating the OneDrive directory as a separate physical drive?

Discus and support How to stop Windows from treating the OneDrive directory as a separate physical drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason Windows treats the OneDrive folder as a separate physical drive, so if you try to move files from the OneDrive folder to another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nimbulan, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Nimbulan Win User

How to stop Windows from treating the OneDrive directory as a separate physical drive?

For some reason Windows treats the OneDrive folder as a separate physical drive, so if you try to move files from the OneDrive folder to another location on the same drive (and these files are un-synced, as I will explain below,) it acts like you need additional free space to hold all those files, even though that's not true. This is causing a large headache for me currently as I need to move a large amount of data out of my OneDrive folder and there is very little free space on the drive.

Background: I've had a kludgy workaround set up for a long time to prevent OneDrive from uploading files from specific folders, since this extremely basic feature (which is needed to prevent certain programs from crashing, and prevent wasting huge amounts of bandwidth and space on my OneDrive account) is something that has never been implemented in OneDrive. The only way I've found to accomplish this is to intentionally set up a sync conflict by placing an empty dummy folder on OneDrive, and then disabling syncing of that folder on my PC (which deletes it,) and then creating the folder again on the PC which registers as a sync conflict. For some reason last night, having chkdsk briefly dismount the drive caused all of my sync conflicts to disappear and OneDrive started attempting to upload 100 GB of data to my account with maybe 1 GB available.

:)

Nimbulan, Oct 26, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
  3. SysJim Win User
    File Explorer stopped showing the separate folders for OneDrive, Dropbox, and iCloud Drive in the left panel.

Original title: File Explorer

After I upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1, File Explorer stopped showing the separate folders for OneDrive, Dropbox, and iCloud Drive in the left panel with Quick Access and This PC. DropBox and iCloud Drive do show up in Quick Access with pins.

How do I get them all back as individual folders, separate from Quick Access, that I can expand as usual for directories? At this point, I can't get to my OneDrive files and folders.

Thank you,

SysJim, Oct 26, 2019
  4. How to stop Windows from treating the OneDrive directory as a separate physical drive?

Windows 10 - OneDrive

W10Privacy utility. Option to permanently stop OneDrive from starting up.

lemonadesoda, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

How to stop Windows from treating the OneDrive directory as a separate physical drive?

1. How to stop Windows from treating the OneDrive directory as a separate physical drive? - Similar Threads - stop treating OneDrive

2. How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?: I merged my desktop folder with my Onedrive folder accidentally. please help me how to separate them as lots of documents present in the onedrive folder is visible on desktop....
  3. How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?: I merged my desktop folder with my Onedrive folder accidentally. please help me how to separate them as lots of documents present in the onedrive folder is visible on desktop....
  4. How to stop onedrive from syncing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop onedrive from syncing: Hi,I accidentally enabled onedrive and it starting syncing 300+GB of photos to the cloud. I do not want this and I do not need this since I have another backup process in place. It also starting syncing documents which I do not want in the cloud due to security reasons.When...
  5. How to stop onedrive from syncing

How to stop onedrive from syncing: Hi,I accidentally enabled onedrive and it starting syncing 300+GB of photos to the cloud. I do not want this and I do not need this since I have another backup process in place. It also starting syncing documents which I do not want in the cloud due to security reasons.When...
  6. Sound Driver is treating the bass speaker as a separate entity from the stereo speakers.

Sound Driver is treating the bass speaker as a separate entity from the stereo speakers.: Last night my audio driver stopped responding, so I re-installed it.After the install, the system started treating my bass speaker as a separate audio system from the rest of the speakers preventing me from running my audio normally.When I go to select "Playback Device", I...
  7. Sound Driver is treating the bass speaker as a separate entity from the stereo speakers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Driver is treating the bass speaker as a separate entity from the stereo speakers.: Last night my audio driver stopped responding, so I re-installed it.After the install, the system started treating my bass speaker as a separate audio system from the rest of the speakers preventing me from running my audio normally.When I go to select "Playback Device", I...
  8. Separating Documents from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Separating Documents from OneDrive: Even after looking for a solution online, I still do not understand - I want all of my documents saved onto my PC, not on OneDrive. I can manually backup my documents myself. I have turned off Backup for Documents in OneDrive, but documents still show as being under...
  9. How to stop my file directories from being attached to onedrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop my file directories from being attached to onedrive?: I have just uninstalled onedrive and moved all my files from the onedrive desktop/documents all over to the user/me/desktop and documents. When i pressed on restore file location on the desktop folder under the my PC headingthis folder currently takes me to the onedrive...
  10. Increase SSD space from separate physical drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase SSD space from separate physical drive?: Hey guys. I'd like to know if it is at all possible to give my SSD more space from a separate physical hard disk? I want to try and increase my SSD partition (as it's only a 120GB total SSD) by taking space from a physical hard disk but don't know how to do it if it is at...