Windows 10: How to stop Windows from trying to download updates

Discus and support How to stop Windows from trying to download updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I have new PC running W10 Home and I have installed and activated Office XP on it. Windows Update is trying to install updates for Office XP but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by daniellouwrens, Jun 10, 2018.

1. How to stop Windows from trying to download updates

Hi

I have new PC running W10 Home and I have installed and activated Office XP on it.

Windows Update is trying to install updates for Office XP but they will
    not download and a "TRY AGAIN" link comes up up when I click on it
    Windows tries for a few seconds then the message comes back.

How do I stop Windows from trying to download them?

There are a lot of updates pending but these ones are preventing
    progress.

Any help or advice appreciated

Cheers

Daniel

:)

daniellouwrens, Jun 10, 2018

2. Windows Update in Windows 10 stopped downloading an update 95% complete and won't finish the download.

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

From your issue description, I understand that you are facing issue with Windows updates. Not to worry, I am here to help you with this issue.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Click on search bar next to Start Menu.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Windows Update

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter. Restart the PC and check.

If the above steps doesn't work, try the below automatic Windows troubleshooter
    and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-10

If the above steps doesn't work, try the below.

I would suggest you to manually reset the Windows update components and check if it helps.

Reset Windows update components.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates. Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components manually:

• Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    • Stop the BITS, Cryptographic,
      MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
      • net stop wuauserv
      • net stop cryptSvc
      • net stop bits
      • net stop msiserver
    • Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and
      Catroot2
      folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
      • ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      • ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    • Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic,
      MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the
      ENTER key after you type each command.
      • net start wuauserv
      • net start cryptSvc
      • net start bits
      • net start msiserver
    5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

For reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
    incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry,
    click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 11, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Apps from the store wont download

Hi Sumon,

Sorry for the delay in response.

• Do you face this issue only with these apps?
    • Did you try downloading other apps?
    • Did you try stopping these apps and then downloading it again?
    We would suggest you to try the steps mentioned in the link

• Type troubleshooting in the search
      box
      and hit Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane and select Windows store apps.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and check.
    If the steps don't work try these steps:

Try to reset the Windows store and check.
    • Press Win + R on the keyboard to open run Window.
    • Type wsreset.exe to reset the Windows store cache.
    Hope this information helps.

Ravinath P, Jun 11, 2018
Thema:

How to stop Windows from trying to download updates

1. How to stop Windows from trying to download updates - Similar Threads - stop trying download

2. How do I stop Windows to keep showing or trying to download this update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Windows to keep showing or trying to download this update?: By now I know it won't download this update but it keeps asking to download it only to fail again and again in trying to. Is there a way to deactivate this?...
  3. How do I stop Windows to keep showing or trying to download this update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop Windows to keep showing or trying to download this update?: By now I know it won't download this update but it keeps asking to download it only to fail again and again in trying to. Is there a way to deactivate this?...
  4. How to stop windows from automatically downloading cumulative updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop windows from automatically downloading cumulative updates?: I recently accidentally installed cumulative updates, I now uninstalled them (some I couldnt uninstall apparently) but now if I press "search for updates" you know, incase there was an update, it automatically downloads ALL cumulative downloads and I cant stop it......
  5. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates: I'm running WIN10 v 1909 and Avast antivirus. Since the upgrade to WIN10 v 1903, I've been getting an error message telling me Windows Defender Antivirus update(s) have failed and specifically - "..Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...
  6. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates: Moved from Windows Updates section, as suggested I'm running WIN10 Home edition v1909 and Avast antivirus. Since the upgrade to WIN10 v 1903, I've been getting an error message telling me Windows Defender Antivirus update(s) have failed and specifically - "..Security...
  7. How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop Windows Defender Antivirus from downloading updates: I'm running WIN10 v 1909 and Avast antivirus. Since the upgrade to WIN10 v 1903, I've been getting an error message telling me Windows Defender Antivirus update(s) have failed and specifically - "..Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602...
  8. How do I stop update from downloading

How do I stop update from downloading: It keeps downloading and installing and I don't want it cause it causes my start menu from displaying. I need it to stop installing. [img] 113111
  9. How to stop updates from downloading automatically ?

How to stop updates from downloading automatically ?: I'd like to have updates set to download at users convenience or at a specific time of day. Is it possible in windows 10 ? 111691
  10. How to stop an update download

How to stop an update download: The other day I connected a TomTom satnav to a usb port to check it for problems for a friend. The next day Win10 reported an update for TomTom was ready to download and install. There does not appear to be any way to stop this happening. Can anyone suggest how I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can i stop windows 7 from trying to do updates that do not work

2. I want windows updates to quit trying to update my computer

3. stop windows 7 from trying to update

4. how to stop my pc from trying to download a update,
  5. stop an update trying to download