Windows 10: HOW TO SWAP THE C:DRIVE

Discus and support HOW TO SWAP THE C:DRIVE in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey Legends I would like to know how to swap C drive with my external hard drive wich is connected through Usb type a. How do i do it without causing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AzeezKhan2, Mar 7, 2021.

1. HOW TO SWAP THE C:DRIVE

Hey Legends

I would like to know how to swap C drive with my external hard drive wich is connected through Usb type a. How do i do it without causing a Malfunction for the Os to run i tried to allocate a new drive and shift it from C: to A:new drive However it does not allow me saying there are some programs or Application files which are dependent on c: drive and then it interrupts the process. The main reason i wanna do this is cause when i am importing a file for my project the program Data is being saved on My C: drive program data,i also tried saving the location to D: Drive which is my External Drive While installing the application well it doesn't matter cause when i run the Cmd and import the file and when it starts importing it directly saves the imported file to Program data though i clearly selected my Drive d to be used while installing the App and also tried the settings option where i changed the location path for all the new apps to be installed yet it still doesn't work and right away goes. No matter what i do it is still saved on The program Data in C: drive.However i need extract memory space for the file to be imported the main reason why i am trying to use my external drive.

can you guys help your friend out here i would Appreciate your efforts....

:)

AzeezKhan2, Mar 7, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Jacee Win User

HOW TO SWAP THE C:DRIVE

C: Drive disk cleanup

I've already done your suggestions....... yep, need a bigger drive for C: suppose!

Jacee, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

HOW TO SWAP THE C:DRIVE

1. HOW TO SWAP THE C:DRIVE - Similar Threads - SWAP DRIVE

2. Recorded BitLocker Key / Swapped Drive / Permanently lost BitLocker Key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recorded BitLocker Key / Swapped Drive / Permanently lost BitLocker Key?: The gist: Lenovo support recommended a drive swap from corporate computer with broken screen to temporary one. Initially, the BitLocker key worked and now it fails. IT told me it cannot be salvaged.Computers: Corporate Windows Lenovo ThinkPad P15 Gen2's and we use...
  3. Recorded BitLocker Key / Swapped Drive / Permanently lost BitLocker Key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recorded BitLocker Key / Swapped Drive / Permanently lost BitLocker Key?: The gist: Lenovo support recommended a drive swap from corporate computer with broken screen to temporary one. Initially, the BitLocker key worked and now it fails. IT told me it cannot be salvaged.Computers: Corporate Windows Lenovo ThinkPad P15 Gen2's and we use...
  4. Files lost after swapping to a drive.

Files lost after swapping to a drive.: Recently I was working on a project which was contained within a folder. I was running low on space on C: so I moved the folder over to my flashdrive E:. After moving the folder over to my flashdrive however, the folder is empty. I searched for some of the contents using the...
  5. Files lost after swapping to a drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files lost after swapping to a drive.: Recently I was working on a project which was contained within a folder. I was running low on space on C: so I moved the folder over to my flashdrive E:. After moving the folder over to my flashdrive however, the folder is empty. I searched for some of the contents using the...
  6. Files lost after swapping to a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Swapping C and D drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swapping C and D drives: Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work and I have two SSDs. C drive is 2 TB and the D drive is 1TB. I work within dropbox with very large project files and...
  8. Swapping C and D drives

Swapping C and D drives: Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work and I have two SSDs. C drive is 2 TB and the D drive is 1TB. I work within dropbox with very large project files and...
  9. Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision: I am switching computers from a Dell Optiplex 7020 to a Dell Precision 3431. I'd like to simply swap the C: drive with Windows and all my programs from the 7020 to the 3431. I've done this in the past with optiplex upgrades. But when I put the old drive in the 3431, replacing...
  10. Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision

Trying to swap boot drive from Optiplex to Precision: I am switching computers from a Dell Optiplex 7020 to a Dell Precision 3431. I'd like to simply swap the C: drive with Windows and all my programs from the 7020 to the 3431. I've done this in the past with optiplex upgrades. But when I put the old drive in the 3431, replacing...