Windows 10: How to switch backups from one drive to another

Discus and support How to switch backups from one drive to another in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My computer had Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 10. I was using the Windows Backup program but my drive ran out of room and it had to stop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Newaryon, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Newaryon Win User

How to switch backups from one drive to another

My computer had Windows 7 which I upgraded to Windows 10. I was using the Windows Backup program but my drive ran out of room and it had to stop backing up and gave me errors. Now I bought a new 8 TB usb external drive. I changed my settings to back up to that drive and it seems to be doing that correctly.

What should I do with the old backup files on my D: drive? They pretty much fill up that drive and I'd like to make some space on there. Can I simply cut and paste them into the folder containing the new backup sets on the new drive? Do I need them at all since I had a period of many months in which my system would not back up at all so they are out of date by now?

Diane

:)

Newaryon, Jul 9, 2020
  2. taz420nj Win User

Switch OS from one drive to another?

Macrium Reflect is my favorite (and it's also free!). It actually lets you skip the separate step of having to expand the partition when you're done... You can do the clone right on the target machine by creating a bootable CD/flash drive (WinPE) and booting right to it. Simply select the source drive, click "Clone this drive", then click "Cloned Drive Properties" and adjust the target partition size as desired. Then click Finish and let it do its thing. You can also image the source drive to a third drive (the image is stripped of space hogs like the page file and hiberfil.sys, and then compressed so the image will be much smaller than the source), and then restore it to the new drive.. This will give you a backup copy to restore from (albeit a snapshot from today unless you take periodic images) if the new drive fails down the road.

taz420nj, Jul 9, 2020
  3. Carol D. Win User
    Backup from one external hard drive to another

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I have been backing up my photos from one external hard drive to another (both 2TB) using Windows
    7 backup and restore for a few years. After copying all my images to a 5TB drive, and having another blank 5TB drive for backups, I tried to change the settings to reflect the
    two new drives, but I'm not getting the option to back up from an EHD. I hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Carol D., Jul 9, 2020
  4. How to switch backups from one drive to another

Query on switching Operating System from one to another Hard Drive

Hello Gilly,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your requirement in this regard.

• You mean to say, switching operating system to another hard drive?
    • Are you concerned about changing drive letters?
    If you say yes for the first question, then you can only do it by performing Clean Install. I mean, you need to take a backup of your both hard drives and need to Install Windows 10 on D: drive. However, there is no manual option to complete this operation.

Sometimes, you might also see problem with Windows 10 activation. Ensure that you should have a valid windows 10 product key, while performing Clean Install.

You can refer below help article provided by Andre Da Costa:

How to: Do a clean install of Windows 10

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

How to switch backups from one drive to another

1. How to switch backups from one drive to another - Similar Threads - switch backups drive

2. How to transfer windows installation from one drive to another.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to transfer windows installation from one drive to another.: I recently purchased an NVMe drive and I'm trying to transfer the windows installation to that drive. I've already transferred all the data and recovery partitions using MiniTool partition wizard, and I've changed the boot priority to the new drive in BIOS but it's still...
  3. Incremental backup from one external drive to another?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Incremental backup from one external drive to another?: I'm using an external SSD connected to my router as a central storage device for all my files. I'd like to make regular backups to another external drive (not an SSD) to keep my data safe. I've tried connecting both drives to my PC and doing a complete copy but this takes...
  4. How to copy from one flash drive to another?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy from one flash drive to another?: How do I copy the folders from one flash drive to another and preserve the folder modification dates and security permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-from-one-flash-drive-to-another/fcf961df-ce99-4ea8-b13a-45179f677093
  5. How to switch parental control from one account to another

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to switch parental control from one account to another: I am in this position: I've installed my girl laptop using a new account microsoft accountgirl2020 with a new google mail*** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Now I want to use parental control for this account from my personal account mail *** Email address is...
  6. Restore a backup from one laptop to another laptop

Restore a backup from one laptop to another laptop: Hello, I just broke my laptop (Asus S510UN, it's an i7, 16GB, NVME) it slipped from my hands and fell. I am looking to buy another of the same configuration may not be the same brand. Too bad, because it was recent (2018), worked very well and I took a while to install all...
  7. Backup from one external hard drive to another

Backup from one external hard drive to another: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I have been backing up my photos from one external hard drive to another (both 2TB) using Windows 7 backup and restore for a few years. After copying all my images to a 5TB drive, and having another blank...
  8. Switching backup drives.

Switching backup drives.: How do I get my system to backup on my c:\ drive instead of the "backup drive" I have installed in the tower? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-backup-drives/25a7a015-c844-4c54-b04d-b8477df93e65
  9. Backup... to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup... to another drive: So I want to back up y picture automatically to another drive. Sort of like Raid, but just for 1 folder. I know I can just copy the folder each time I want to back it up but I was looking to see if there was an easy way to automate it without additional software. I do NOT...
  10. Backup one partition to another

Backup one partition to another: Hi, I have two basic GPT partitions (except from the WINRE and EFI system partitions) C:[Windows] and D:[Data] I want to create a periodic image backup of C: in D: Is that possible to do that using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) that comes also with Windows 10 or only...