Windows 10: How to Switch Default Drive from C: to D:

Discus and support How to Switch Default Drive from C: to D: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, A while back my friend built a pc for me with a hard drive of about 230 gb. After a while I bought a 1tb hard drive and never got around to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by garciatainaa, Apr 12, 2021.

1. How to Switch Default Drive from C: to D:

Hello,

A while back my friend built a pc for me with a hard drive of about 230 gb. After a while I bought a 1tb hard drive and never got around to properly switching everything. Its connected and I have a few folders in it. Recently I ran out of storage on my c: drive and want to switch everything over to my d drive. I'm having difficulties doing that and I'm scared im going to lose everything.

Please Help :

:)

garciatainaa, Apr 12, 2021

2. Switch Default Drive from C: to D:

Hi there,

I recently purchased a new computer where the hard drive is partitioned into a smaller C drive which is just a boot drive and larger D drive which is meant for everything else. I am having trouble because the C drive is the default drive for installation
    of new programs, saving user files, etc. but my C drive does not have sufficient space for this. While some programs allow me to choose an alternative address for installation, other programs do not and just use the default drive.

I have tried switching the default under Setting/System/Storage, but the problem persists. I also tried manually editing the program directory via Regedit, but this just caused problems when trying to install new programs as the installations would crash.

I would be very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks!

ShamilaCharania, Apr 12, 2021
  3. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Issue:

Error (blue screen) when booting with stop code (DE Stillstandcode) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Computer restarts automatically and then freezes with message “automatic repair being prepared” (DE “Automatische Reparatur wird vorbereitet”). After manual
    shut down, the same happens all over again.

System:

Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL with pre-installed Windows 10 (updated to latest version / fixes) with two drives:

128 GB SSD with Windwos and program files (C: “Windows-SDD”)

1 TB HDD as data storage (D: “Data”)

Reason:

Not clear. Just three days before a BIOS update (ALCN28WW V2.05) has been installed, after which the fingerprint scanner didn’t work any longer. Lenovo support suggested to reset BIOS to defaults and re-install driver, which did not solve the problem,
    but at least the computer still worked. After another restart, the issue occurred.

Troubleshooting:

1) Loaded default settings in BIOS again
    no change.

2) Booted from Win 10 installation USB flash drive, chose repair options (DE “Computerreparaturoptionen”), then troubleshooting (DE “Problembehandlung”), then start help (DE “Starthilfe”)
    PC could not be repaired; then chose advance options (DE “Erweiterte Optionen”), command prompt (DE “Eingabeaufforderung”); change to drive C: and D: and could see that all directories are still there, BUT DRIVE LETTERS
    ARE SWITCHED: C: shows as “Data” holding all directories formerly under D:, and D: shows as “Windows-SDD” holding all directories formerly under C:

Pretty sure that this switch of drive letters is related to the issue (Windows probably tries to boot from C:, which is the wrong drive now), not idea how this came, and no idea how to switch it back to make Win work again.

Thanks for any helpful suggestion!

Wolfgang Soundso, Apr 12, 2021
  4. How to Switch Default Drive from C: to D:

Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did as suggested, but it did not solve the problem.

Not sure from which drive I'm supposed to execute the commands and if this matters at all. When entering command prompt mode, I was on drive X: and can change to C: and D:, I executed first on C:, then on D:, with same result:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR -> process completed

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT -> access denied

BOOTREC /scanos -> 0 Windows installations found

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd -> 0 Windows installations found

As indicated in my original post, drive letters C: (was originally the SSD with Windows and program installations) and D: (was originally the HDD holding data) have somehow switched. When I go to C: in command prompt and execute DIR, it shows me all the
    content that was supposed to be on D: and vice versa.

That means, I can find the Windows directory that was supposed on C: under drive letter D: now, which might be a symptom of the issue, or the root cause.

So might it help to switch back drive letters C: and D:, and how can this be done?

Thanks and regards.

Wolfgang Soundso, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

How to Switch Default Drive from C: to D:

1. How to Switch Default Drive from C: to D: - Similar Threads - Switch Default Drive

2. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  3. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  4. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Setting default storage from Drive C to Drive D does not work

Setting default storage from Drive C to Drive D does not work: My default storage ARE ALL set to Drive D but Windows 10 is still automatically saving EVERYTHING in Drive C. I am not sure why this is happening. Please HELP....
  6. Switch up my C and D drive

Switch up my C and D drive: Hello, I have decided to reinstall my Windows 10, because previously my windows has installed on C drive - which is for some reason 1TB HDD, and then D drive - which is 128 SSD. I would like to ask how can I switch these two so my windows can install on SSD marked as C...
  7. How to switch C: and D: drive

How to switch C: and D: drive: Hi all! I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive. Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to clone the Windows 10 system to the SSD. That worked for the evening. Today, when I booted my system up, everything was...
  8. How do I Restore Default my Download Drive from D: to C:

How do I Restore Default my Download Drive from D: to C:: I can't restore default it because of the D:\System Volume Information.. please help me to bring it back to C drive thankyou! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-default-my-download-drive-from-d/2647dbaf-b4b5-4796-bddd-a53c43e323ab
  9. How to move pictures from the C drive to the D drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move pictures from the C drive to the D drive?: I have folders with a bunch of pictures and I want to move them to the D drive because there is more space there. How to do that? Also is there a way to set the D drive as the default drive so pictures saved will automatically go there? submitted by /u/jayx468 [link]...
  10. Switching Game download and install from C to D drive

Switching Game download and install from C to D drive: i recently bought sea of theives from the microsoft store and when it updated it came to my attention the game installed into the c drive not the d which is much bigger.. its telling me i have to clear up space but there is not the space to be cleared on c i need to know how...