Windows 10: How to switch from using a PIN to using a password, when you've forgotten your local admin...

Discus and support How to switch from using a PIN to using a password, when you've forgotten your local admin... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Last year I was wanting to change my Microsoft account to be the Local Admin on my laptop. When I did that, it had me change my password, and set a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JArthurs, Apr 2, 2021.

1. JArthurs Win User

How to switch from using a PIN to using a password, when you've forgotten your local admin...

Last year I was wanting to change my Microsoft account to be the Local Admin on my laptop. When I did that, it had me change my password, and set a PIN. A couple of days later I came to realize that I hadn't accomplished that, but instead converted the account on my laptop to become a local only account. The problem is that I've forgotten the password! I'm now forced to login with only the PIN. I want to get back to using a password.

Is there any way without reformatting my laptop to recover the password for the local admin account, with only having the PIN?

:)

JArthurs, Apr 2, 2021
  2. Kol12 Win User

Forgotten admin password.

I've forgotten the administrator password for my notebook. I can login with a 4 digit pin but I need the current password to change the password and that's the one I've forgotten. Also Windows keeps complaining of needing a startup repair but I cannot run it without the admin pass. What can I do?

Kol12, Apr 2, 2021
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Apr 2, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

How to switch from using a PIN to using a password, when you've forgotten your local admin...

Forgotten admin password.

Sorry but "Admin account" might be a description. Is your answer to 1 that you are signed in to the built-in account with the username Administrator or do you just mean that you are signed in to an account that has admin status [an account that you have made at some stage]?

The account to select in the list is the one that you want to reset the password to. If that is the one you are signed in to then you'll get that To change your password press Alt+Ctrl+Delete message instead [and the existing password is needed in order to do any change].

You need to be signed in to a different admin user account in order to reset the existing one's password. By the way, you will lose all your saved internet sign-in credentials by resetting it.
    - You could create a new password-protected, admin-level local user account {steps given in a separate post below} then sign in to it so you could then use netplwiz to reset the original one.

Denis

Try3, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

1. How to switch from using a PIN to using a password, when you've forgotten your local admin... - Similar Threads - switch using PIN

2. Windows recovery.:Forgotten local admin password but know the PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery.:Forgotten local admin password but know the PIN: My daughter powered off the pc mid-update and it will no longer boot to desktop. I have tried the various recovery options to use system restore / uninstall latest update etc but they all ask for a password instead of the PIN that I have been using for several years and I...
  3. Windows recovery.:Forgotten local admin password but know the PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery.:Forgotten local admin password but know the PIN: My daughter powered off the pc mid-update and it will no longer boot to desktop. I have tried the various recovery options to use system restore / uninstall latest update etc but they all ask for a password instead of the PIN that I have been using for several years and I...
  4. Windows recovery.:Forgotten local admin password but know the PIN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Computer Password PIN Used - Password Forgotten - Sharing Computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Password PIN Used - Password Forgotten - Sharing Computers: HiI have tried calling Microsoft on their local number to be told they don't do telephone support any more. I am unable to find where I'm supposed to go now, hence posting here.I am using Windows 10, running Office 2019.I have been using PINs on my computer for years and no...
  6. Computer Password PIN Used - Password Forgotten - Sharing Computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Password PIN Used - Password Forgotten - Sharing Computers: HiI have tried calling Microsoft on their local number to be told they don't do telephone support any more. I am unable to find where I'm supposed to go now, hence posting here.I am using Windows 10, running Office 2019.I have been using PINs on my computer for years and no...
  7. Computer Password PIN Used - Password Forgotten - Sharing Computers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Forgotten Local Admin User password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotten Local Admin User password: I am sole user on laptop, therefore Local Administrator. Help pages only refer to changing Local Account password. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-local-admin-user-password/ca2b0ec2-00a2-4324-9084-dfada9d5347b
  9. Asking for (forgotten) password when I usually use a PIN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Asking for (forgotten) password when I usually use a PIN: After the latest windows update I ran into an error (memory management : rapportKE64(.sys I think) ) It's trying to boot into the automatic system recovery but it's asking for my password, there is no option to change to PIN like in the usual Windows login. I have a...
  10. Forgotten Windows local password and pin on a laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forgotten Windows local password and pin on a laptop: Hello, I forgot my windows local password and PIN on my own laptop, I got access for another user on the laptop, but not to my own! Please help...