Windows 10: How to switch my Windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button

Discus and support How to switch my Windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; How do I switch my windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button? if I have Outlook open and a word document and I press the power button, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DennisWinks, Dec 1, 2018.

1. How to switch my Windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button

How do I switch my windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button?

if I have Outlook open and a word document and I press the power button, I get the PC stating that Outlook is preventing it from switching off and I need to first save the Word document.

I would like the power button to automatically save that unsaved Word document and close off Outlook and then shutdown.

:)

DennisWinks, Dec 1, 2018
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Switch off PC without mouse clicking when press the Power Button

Check this setting in Power Options...
    How to switch my Windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Iceni Win User
    When the Power button is Pressed Pc turns on then Off again.

Power on switch sounds to have a fault. Sometimes when they start to go the contact plates can stick when you press the button.

Unplug the power switch header, And plug the reset switch into the power on header. Then start again using the reset switch as the on button. If it clears the fault then it's time to buy a new switch (or just keep using the reset switch).

Don't be tempted to plug the power switch into the reset header as it may cause constant resets if it is the fault.

The later in boot restarts could still be the switch, It depends on the switch and what's wrong with it. If there is a loose contact plate then movement on that plate could cause soft restarts in windows, or hard restarts before windows has got up. Rule out the basic before you spend money.

Iceni, Dec 1, 2018
  4. qubit Win User

How to switch my Windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button

PC doesn't power down after holding power button for 4 seconds

Although not very likely, it is just possible that the switch is intermittent, so it could contact momentarily when held in to trigger a normal Windows shutdown, but then not maintain that connection solidly for the whole 4 seconds. This is why I suggested touching the contacts with a screwdriver, to rule out this possibility.

Also, afaik the 4 second off is not controlled by the BIOS, the PC switches off no matter what. That BIOS power configuration refers only to momentary presses.

qubit, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

How to switch my Windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button

1. How to switch my Windows 10 PC off with one press of the power button - Similar Threads - switch off press

2. How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...: My laptop a Mecer Z140C express + won't switch on. This started when I clicked update and shutdown the previous evening and then the next morning it wouldn't switch on. When I plug in the laptop to charge the light on the side is green which shows that it's full but the...
  3. How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...: My laptop a Mecer Z140C express + won't switch on. This started when I clicked update and shutdown the previous evening and then the next morning it wouldn't switch on. When I plug in the laptop to charge the light on the side is green which shows that it's full but the...
  4. How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. When I switched the power switch my PC automatic start without press the power button of PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When I switched the power switch my PC automatic start without press the power button of PC: When I switched the power switch my PC automatic start without press the power button of PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-switched-the-power-switch-my-pc-automatic/5aef23f4-2113-4d62-99e1-e6bb50187611
  6. When I switched the power switch my PC automatic start without press the power button of PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I switched the power switch my PC automatic start without press the power button of PC: When I switched the power switch my PC automatic start without press the power button of PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-switched-the-power-switch-my-pc-automatic/5aef23f4-2113-4d62-99e1-e6bb50187611
  7. When I switched the power switch my PC automatic start without press the power button of PC

8. My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...: My desktop PC randomly wakes from sleep on its own after a few minutes or so. Referring back to this thread, I checked the powercfg log using "powercfg -lastwake" run as admin in powershell. Curiously, this reports back withWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source...
  9. My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...

My PC gets woken up by the power button, without pressing the power button...: My desktop PC randomly wakes from sleep on its own after a few minutes or so. Referring back to this thread, I checked the powercfg log using "powercfg -lastwake" run as admin in powershell. Curiously, this reports back withWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source...
  10. Switch off PC without mouse clicking when press the Power Button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Switch off PC without mouse clicking when press the Power Button: Hi, Please could someone point me to a way of making it so that when I press the Power Button on my Windows 10 desktop that the computer will power down without me having to click with the mouse to turn off various programs or clicking the "restart anyway" button that...