Windows 10: How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down?

Discus and support How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So the question is and it's not new in the titleThe problem is when NumLock is turned ON whenever i press, for example, Num1 i get input "1" as you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tsurugi_is_here, Jan 29, 2023.

1. How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down?

So the question is and it's not new in the titleThe problem is when NumLock is turned ON whenever i press, for example, Num1 i get input "1" as you would expect. When i hold CTRL or ALT and press Num1 i still get input "1", but as soon as i hold SHIFT and press Num1 i get input "END", which is an alternate function for non-NumLocked Num1 key. BUT i still have NumLock status on my keyboard ON as i myself haven't switched it off during any moment of this.I haven't found any options for switching this behavior and it's unwanted for me, i'd like to have this feature disabled if i can. I use stan

:)

Tsurugi_is_here, Jan 29, 2023

2. How to enable NumLock key in Windows 10

Neither the registry hacks or holding down the NumLock key at startup works for me; as previously stated, the only thing that does work - with my system configuration - is to shut off fast start up. In order to do so, here are the steps again in case you
    missed it:

1. Go to the Control Panel (right click on Start button and choose "Control Panel" or press the "Win-x" keys to get to the same menu and choose Control Panel.)

2. Click on the "System and Security" setting and then click on the "Change what the power buttons do" option under the Power Options heading.

3. Click on the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link near the top of this window.

4. Under "Shutdown settings" uncheck the box in front of "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

I have no idea what they put in the fast startup programming to cause the NumLock key to be disabled - and how it makes start up faster to actually take the time to disable the key after it has been enabled by the BIOS I don't know, either - but turning
    off it off will make the NumLock key remain activated. I hope it works for you, too, Janedgc.

Holly

Thank you Holly for this suggestion. I tried it and it didn't work for me. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've given up. I just turn off manually the number lock button each morning. Huguette

HuguetteMonroe, Jan 29, 2023
  3. Bree Win User
    Someone with extensive registry knowledge (shift disabling numpad)

It does that for my laptop too. With NumLock turned on the shift key turns off the effect of NumLock while it's pressed. Apparently it's always done that - certainly did back in 2004....

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/old...06-00/?p=37953

...and not just in Windows, Ubuntu too.
    [ubuntu] shift switches numlock actions

It's been the bane of gamers the world over.
    shift numlock game - Google Suche

4. How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down?

Windows10 - numlock not on at startup

Hi guys,

Trick was not really helpful.

After a logon, the NumLock key is now effectively on, but I need this before the logon.

My logon password has digits, and I would need the Numlock key to be «ON» at the logon process.

Is there another way to solve that ??

Thanks for your help.

Robert

RobertHenault, Jan 29, 2023
Thema:

How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down?

1. How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down? - Similar Threads - switch off SHIFT

2. keys spamming while held down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keys spamming while held down: My keyboard is typing same key twice when held downalso.. the special keys alt,ctrl,win spams when i try to hold it down for shortcuts.and this is the scene for only my PC.. in my laptop, it works totally fine..i tried most of the things.. like deleting the driver and...
  3. keys spamming while held down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    keys spamming while held down: My keyboard is typing same key twice when held downalso.. the special keys alt,ctrl,win spams when i try to hold it down for shortcuts.and this is the scene for only my PC.. in my laptop, it works totally fine..i tried most of the things.. like deleting the driver and...
  4. keys spamming while held down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Disable NumLock Off functionality.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable NumLock Off functionality.: I work with VMs and I sometimes press the key accidentally and find myself with my numpad becoming useless until I notice the issue and turn NumLock back on.I don't see a valid usecase for having NumLock off for anyone using a full size keyboard.Is there a way to enforce that...
  6. Disable NumLock Off functionality.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable NumLock Off functionality.: I work with VMs and I sometimes press the key accidentally and find myself with my numpad becoming useless until I notice the issue and turn NumLock back on.I don't see a valid usecase for having NumLock off for anyone using a full size keyboard.Is there a way to enforce that...
  7. How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch off SHIFT key feature of temporary disabling NumLock status while held down?: So the question is and it's not new in the titleThe problem is when NumLock is turned ON whenever i press, for example, Num1 i get input "1" as you would expect. When i hold CTRL or ALT and press Num1 i still get input "1", but as soon as i hold SHIFT and press Num1 i get...
  8. Any way to disable how Shift overrides/disables the NumLock?

Any way to disable how Shift overrides/disables the NumLock?: Hi all, as the title says, is there any way to prevent the Shift key from temporary disabling the NumLock key? I found many questions on the internet regarding that, mostly from gamers, but no solutions. I found an old topic here which gave the exact opposite of the solution,...
  9. Disable NumLock key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NumLock key: The NumLock key is very close to the Backspace key on my Lenovo laptop. As a writer I use the Backspace key 1000 times a day. In contrast: I honestly have no idea what the NumLock key does. So it's incredibly annoying when the giant NumLock off/on icon appears in the middle...
  10. COmPUTER thinks my "shift" Key IS HelD DOWN AT random.

COmPUTER thinks my "shift" Key IS HelD DOWN AT random.: SO THE MOST RECeNT UPDATE HAS MADe A PROBLem where mY shIft kEY I cannot TELL wHich ONe LEFT OR Right BUT IT is causIng me TO tyPe TexT lIKe tHIs. i am not EVen toUChING THe shift KEY WHiLe WRIting this. IT SEEMS TO OCcUR randomlY makinG it HARd to Type passWArds Having me...