Windows 10: How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?

Discus and support How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i have a cyberpower fangbook 3, normally to change the volume i have to press fn+ f9 or f8 just to change the volume. I would like to change that so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xdarkmario, Mar 11, 2017.

1. How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?

i have a cyberpower fangbook 3, normally to change the volume i have to press fn+ f9 or f8 just to change the volume. I would like to change that so that i dont have to press the FN key to do things like that but unlike any other laptop i had theres no way to do that as far as i can see. No bios option to switch or no settings or no special shortcuts like FN lock. is there a way i can change its function?

:)

xdarkmario, Mar 11, 2017

2. wifi button cant be pressed ON after some update on my windows 10

Firstly, make sure the wifi is enabled in the laptop itself. Use the Fn+ one of the function keys, 'Fn+F5' perhaps. Look for a radio tower beacon or monitor with waves on the sides on one of the function keys. You can google for info on your specific machine.
    Some laptops have a physical switch somewhere around the edge.

laudablepus, Mar 11, 2017
  3. SharmaVts Win User
    "fn+esc" stopped working

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 3542 laptop

Before to change the behavior of function keys I used to simply press 'fn+esc' which used to the change the purpose/behavior of fn keys,

but now fn+esc does nothing. I have to go to bios everytime always to change the behavior

the 'fn+esc' was very useful as i use function keys for both function and multimedia. It is problem to turn off a laptop always to change the behavior

How do I get the setting back - 'Using Fn+esc to change the behavior of fn keys?'

SharmaVts, Mar 11, 2017
  4. How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?

Same deal with my ASUS laptop which is a bit annoying. So I'll tag along and see if anybody chimes in with an idea.

alphanumeric, Mar 11, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
  6. It's not just sound up down though. Not for me anyway. It's the same deal with mute, pause, play. Screen brightness up down etc. I like to play some tunes out on the deck, then my wife says something to me out the window. I have to fumble for the Fn key and the mute key. Then ask her to repeat. For me the PITA part is having to use two hands as the Fn key is in the bottom corner of the keyboard and the F keys are all across the top.

alphanumeric, Mar 11, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    Mute/Play/Pause etc are also in Stack Overflow link above...

8. How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?

Ok, I'll have a look, thanks. I was in the middle of something when I posted and didn't have a chance to have a look see.

alphanumeric, Mar 12, 2017
  9. and this will let me reverse the function? like make it that i have to press fn to use the F1-12? or do i have to manually script all of that?

xdarkmario, Mar 14, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    You'd have to script it all. It is pretty easy as you can just copy the example from StackOverflow and rearrange the order. I don't know a better way unfortunately.

11. well i got some of it working i dont have to press fn to adjust volume ot brightness but the only thing is that now i have duplicate actions like ether pressing fn+f7 or pressing f7 alone both do the same thing now and the function of f7 alone is gone now.

xdarkmario, Mar 14, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    I think you need to map them the other way around as well so you map both F1 to "Play" (or whatever) and Fn+F1 to F1.

Like this
    Code: ; F1 key by default, Fn+F1 is now Play/Pause MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE::F1 F1::MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE ; F2 key by default, Fn+F2 is now Mute/Unmute VOLUME_MUTE::F2 F2::VOLUME_MUTE[/quote] AutoHotKey script that remaps the F1-F12 function keys on the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile keyboard to be pressed without having to use the Fn key. Disables some of the Windows 8 shortcuts, but leaves media keys intact. . GitHub

13. How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?

I think I'll just keep pressing the Fn key. I appreciate the effort, I just don't feel like scripting all my F keys.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it?

1. How to switch the FN key function on a laptop that dosent support it? - Similar Threads - switch key function

2. Fn key to brightness not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fn key to brightness not functioning properly: Hello,Briefly: Fn key combination with the brightness adjuster keys in my case, F4 and 5 is malfunctioning. I can see the bar pop up when I use the buttons, but the slider only increases and decreases once, no matter how many times I press the buttons. The brightness remains...
  3. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?: While trying to solve another issue I found these weird key combinations with uncertain functions. BTW, my PC is DELL XPS 13 9310, Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.What are these keys? And is it documented somewhere? Are there more such functions?Key combinationScan codeTested...
  4. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?: While trying to solve another issue I found these weird key combinations with uncertain functions. BTW, my PC is DELL XPS 13 9310, Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.What are these keys? And is it documented somewhere? Are there more such functions?Key combinationScan codeTested...
  5. FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?: I have a 2015 Lenovo Ideapad. The function keys (as well as arrow keys, the real killer here) are overloaded with functionality like screen brightness, volume, sleep, etc. Something is wrong with the FN key and it acts as though it is permanently depressed, making the f and...
  6. Fn + Windows Key + Other functions?

Fn + Windows Key + Other functions?: Hey, I've gotten an update of windows August 2020 today and after reboot, I pressed the windows key but no window bar has open. Luckily I figured out soon after to need to press Fn + Windows key + another function key to uses the default windows function such as open window's...
  7. Windows and Fn keys Swapped in functioning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows and Fn keys Swapped in functioning: I have MSI GL63 laptop and my windows version is 2004. today i noticed that my Fn key and Windows keys swapped functioning . Is this windows issue or any other? How can I solve it?...
  8. Way to permanently switch meaning of FN-keys with Non-FN function?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Way to permanently switch meaning of FN-keys with Non-FN function?: I need quite occasionally press keys on the top row of my keyboard like F2, F5, Print,.... To get them I always have to press additionally (just before) the <Fn> key. I want to avoid this. Is there a way to switch (forever) the meaning of Fn with Non-Fn keys? Only for the...
  9. Function key (Fn) is not working!

Function key (Fn) is not working!: When i press Fn + F1 or any other combination nothing happens. I have troubleshooted, restarted and tried many fixes. Please help! It's a Toshiba laptop. The issue has been occuring for a long time....
  10. Fn Key functions are not all working

Fn Key functions are not all working: hello i have VAIO E VPCEH3AEA Fn + F1 = lock touchpad =>not working Fn + F2 = mute volume => working Fn + F3 = decrease volume => working Fn + F4 = increase volume => working Fn + F5 = decrease brightness => not working Fn + F6 = increase brightness => not working Fn...