Windows 10: How to sync folders between a wired connected PC and WiFi laptop?

Discus and support How to sync folders between a wired connected PC and WiFi laptop? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Up front, I am not an expert on this: as a single user with standalone PC I had nothing to do with 'sharing' stuff. Have been puzzling about the below... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tfwul, Nov 24, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

How to sync folders between a wired connected PC and WiFi laptop?

Up front, I am not an expert on this: as a single user with standalone PC I had nothing to do with 'sharing' stuff.

Have been puzzling about the below for many hours now and maybe, what I want, isn't possible. Don't know.

I would like to sync folders between my desktop PC (wired connected) and my laptop (WiFi).
    Both having the latest Windows 10 x64 version (1809)
    On both the folders are within an encrypted drive, i.e. they only become accessible after entering a password.
    Outlook accounts on both.

On both: Settings->Accounts->Sync your settings: all enabled.

I went through the tutorials, but am not sure which one might be applicable for this situation.
    Shared folders? Homegroup? Shared Libraries? What will work in case of LAN and WiFi?
    Should I use 3rd party tools?

I had this idea to make a junction (mklink /j) from a folder on the PC to a OneDrive folder.
    OneDrive on the laptop will then be the same as the folder on the desktop.
    However, it seems that can't make a 'link' from the OneDrive folder on laptop to a folder on that device.
    I tried, it failed.

Note: in case of many changes within the 'linked' PC-folder, then OneDrive on laptop is (very) slow.
    Even when restarting sync a few times, nothing seems to happen. It does sync, but it may take a while.
    A few hours, the next day, I don't know.

Appreciate suggestions.

Thanks!

:)

tfwul, Nov 24, 2018
  2. pgoelz Win User

Wired PC shows in list of WiFi access points

I'm on the fall creators update on a laptop. The laptop is connected to my router via WiFi. I also have one wired PC on the network. I just noticed that the wired PC shows up at the top of the list of networks (complete with a "connect" button) when I
    single left click on the WiFi icon in the system tray to show a list of WiFi access points. This is new behavior (with the FCU?) and I can't for the life of me find any information anywhere regarding why the wired PC shows up. If I click "connect", the process
    simply stalls until I click "cancel". Is this supposed to be some way to enable connection sharing? Or an RDP connection?

Anyone?

Paul

pgoelz, Nov 24, 2018
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Things to do once connected new G-Sync monitor

I'm getting my G-Sync monitor today.

I think I have to take the following steps:

• Connect 1440p G-sync monitor with DP cable
    • Connect second 1080p 60Hz monitor by HDMI
    • Startup PC
    • Reinstall display driver
    • Restart PC (I always do that after display driver install)
    • Activate G-Sync in NV control panel (I believe also V-Sync is auto on after that?)
    • Set my 1440p monitor from 1080p to 1440p
    • Calibrate my 1440p monitor
    Also ingame, I should turn off V-Sync?
    Are there any problems running a second 60Hz 1080p monitor?

Is there anything else I should do/know?

P4-630, Nov 24, 2018
  4. pgoelz Win User

Wired PC shows in list of WiFi access points

I don't think that explains this particular issue. The wired PC that shows up in the laptop's list of WiFi APs is connected to the router via ethernet and does not have a WiFi card. So it can't (or at least shouldn't) advertise an available connection.

The icon next to the wired PC name is also new and unfamiliar.... looks like 3/4 of a simple celtic knot with a "carat" where the fourth loop would be.

I have tried searching for a variety of keywords like "new icon in WiFi list" and "wired PC in list of WiFi connections" and come up virtually empty. I'm sure it is something added in the FCU but I'll be danged if I can figure out what it actually is.

Paul

pgoelz, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

1. How to sync folders between a wired connected PC and WiFi laptop? - Similar Threads - sync folders between

2. Internet connection between PC and Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet connection between PC and Laptop: Is there a way to make a Intenet connection From my Laptopwindows 10 to my PCwindows 7 by a internet lan cableThat yellow cable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-connection-between-pc-and-laptop/5649c2ea-a2aa-450d-ad2f-7412d266a0d4
  3. Internet connection between PC and Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet connection between PC and Laptop: Is there a way to make a Intenet connection From my Laptopwindows 10 to my PCwindows 7 by a internet cableThat yellow cable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-connection-between-pc-and-laptop/5649c2ea-a2aa-450d-ad2f-7412d266a0d4
  4. Complete Sync between PC and Laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Complete Sync between PC and Laptop?: Is there a way to fully sync a PC and another windows 10 device? I know you can sign in to a microsoft account and sync devices but is there a way to theoretically start a Video Editing project on a laptop, save it, and open the same project on a PC seconds later without...
  5. Syncing Applications Between Laptop and PC

Syncing Applications Between Laptop and PC: Is there any way to sync applications between a laptop and PC? This would allow me to run applications on my laptop and move to my PC, already logged in and on the same user profile. I tried syncing data through my Microsoft account but none of my programs copied over....
  6. How to sync a folder between two laptops?

How to sync a folder between two laptops?: Hi everyone, I have two laptops, Laptop A and Laptop B. I use Laptop A for working from home and Laptop B is mainly for Netflix as it also works as a tablet. Is it possible to sync my work from Laptop A to Laptop B? OneDrive doesn't work on Laptop A so I am unable to use...
  7. VPN connection between PC and Laptop

VPN connection between PC and Laptop: I don't know what else to do, my VPN connection was always working, without any problem. Today cannot connect PC and laptop anymore. Any solution for this? [img] [img] 157291
  8. A way to integrate and sync a folder between to PC-s

A way to integrate and sync a folder between to PC-s: Is there a possibility, to have an automatically synced folder between two PC-s? I am working on the same project on a laptop and on a desktop computer, it's such a hassle to always upload and download files between them, is there a way to fix that problem? If yes, what are...
  9. sync folders between laptop and desktop in Windows 10

sync folders between laptop and desktop in Windows 10: How can I sync folders between my laptop and desktop in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-folders-between-laptop-and-desktop-in-windows/ea5b68ac-1676-49c9-8bf7-15f02fae9dcb
  10. Unusal request --Direct Wire connection between laptop and desktop

Unusal request --Direct Wire connection between laptop and desktop: Hi there Just wondering if this is possible On Desktop computer have OODLES of storage and multi-media file but slow Wifi card. Laptop (new) has mega fast Wifi - AC 5GHZ. Almost as fast as LAN. Want to chromecast some movies to a TV in a friends house. Can I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sync desktop to laptop both connected to router with eternet cables