Windows 10: How to Sysprep Windows without losing wallpapers, taskbar icons etc?

Discus and support How to Sysprep Windows without losing wallpapers, taskbar icons etc? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm a computer reseller and I've been fixing and selling computers in my area for the last couple years. I've been doing really well and normally the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pcwhiz24, Oct 15, 2020.

1. pcwhiz24 Win User

How to Sysprep Windows without losing wallpapers, taskbar icons etc?

I'm a computer reseller and I've been fixing and selling computers in my area for the last couple years. I've been doing really well and normally the way I would sell them is I would install Windows, go through setup and create an account, then install the drivers, software, updates, etc. then sell it ready to go as it is. It would just have an account (usually called "user").

Now I wanted to do things more professionally, where my customers actually go through the setup part and set up their own account, agree to the EULA, and set up their passwords. I learned about audit mode (Pressing SHIFT+CTRL+F3 at setup) and found I can set up the PCs how I want them. I tried it on a laptop and set it up all real nice, put a nice 4k wallpaper theme with everything it needed. Problem is when I go back to OOBE and create a new user, all those wonderful wallpapers are gone! It's back to the default theme and that nice theme I carefully set up is gone as well as the taskbar icons and settings. I really don't want that at all.

So after doing research I learned about "copyprofile" but I don't know how to use it and apparently in the newest Windows 10 builds it breaks the taskbar. With Windows 7/8 I found I can copy the Administrator account directly to the default account but I can't in Windows 10. Is this even possible?

Also two more questions:

1. How do I sysprep Windows 7 without losing activation? I have some Windows 7 laptops with their Win 7 COA labels on the bottom and I activate them just fine in audit mode but when it's in OOBE it asks the user for the product key. Is there a way to keep it activated or is it not possible? I know about creating an answer file with the ADK tool but I don't know how to properly do that.

2. Is it really illegal to install Windows 10 on computers with Windows 7 COA labels? They activate just fine every-time and I did it like that for a while until recently. I went to the spice works forum and was told that the free upgrade expired and it would fail an audit, unless it was upgraded during the free period. Windows 8 ones automatically activate Windows 10 without having to put in a product key. Are those illegal too?
    This brings me to another question: If it really is illegal to do the free upgrade, how would I figure out that a laptop had been upgraded to Windows 10 during the free period if it didn't have the original hard drive? Like say I receive a laptop with a Windows 7 COA label (or Windows 8/8.1) and it had it's original HDD removed. How would I know if was upgraded in the free period? I've had some Windows 7 laptops activate Windows 10 as soon as they connected to the internet. I'm so confused sometimes by this and really want to keep things legal. I sell from home and I'm doing pretty well and want to open up a proper shop next year. Yes I heard about the whole reseller program Microsoft does but it has way too many rules (can't even upgrade a CPU) and it's ending this year anyways.

For now I just install the OS they came with to stay on the safe side (hell people still buy laptops with Windows 7 here lol). I mean is it still fairly safe to use? If a laptop doesn't have a COA label or it's not readable (or it's Vista or older depending on model) I put Linux Ubuntu or Mint. I will often run the recovery partition if they still have that too. Most people just want a cheap laptop for web browsing/zoom or YouTube and those distros are perfect for those.
    Sorry I know it's a lot of questions but I need help lol.

:)

pcwhiz24, Oct 15, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 15, 2020
  3. NIGHTMARE icon in windows taskbar

Ok ... this is really an annoying thingy in Windows Vista that till today. My top wish list is to solve this !!! *Bang Head :banghead:*Bang Head :banghead:*Bang Head :banghead:*Bang Head :banghead:*Bang Head :banghead:

See attached pic ... for eg. open My Computer ... icon is of course as shown - the My Computer default Vista icon ... after you browse? *swoosh* kind of black magic ... it changes to that icon with the green arrow ... browsing back to My Computer it remains like that ... with the green arrow!!!

This happens to any and all folders ! ... When you load it ... it comes up with the default folder ... after exporing through folder it changes ... and remains like that.

For info : have tried a fresh installation of Vista to make sure that no bug got in. So must be some DAMN Vista settings

Thanks mates ... hope you enjoy this puzzle !

ragingspeed, Oct 15, 2020
  4. John Ado Win User

John Ado, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Sysprep Windows without losing wallpapers, taskbar icons etc? - Similar Threads - Sysprep without losing

2. lose icon

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    lose icon: Why my icon did not show in regular image, it shows white folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lose-icon/836002a4-6203-4d33-b697-d40ff4c5bd98
  3. How to send someone a file/folder with a custom icon without losing the icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to send someone a file/folder with a custom icon without losing the icon: As we all know, when you change the icon of a folder it only works locally because when you select an icon it only uses it as a full path instead of making the icon a part of the folder/file itselfAnd because of this, It's impossible to send someone a folder with icons since...
  4. clock disappearing, apps freezing, icons losing image, etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    clock disappearing, apps freezing, icons losing image, etc: I updated to windows 10 and I've had multiple issues continue to happen. Restarting the computers fixes the issues but they happen multiple times a day. The clock disappears, image icons on my desktop go blank, computer runs slow. Right clicking the task bar or desktop...
  5. Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??: I have a Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10 [Version 6.3.19042]) system here that I am very happy with; all SSDs, including an M.2 NVMe drive for games, excellent video card, tons of USB 3 slots. However, my motherboard is an 8-year-old Gigabyte with Core i7-3820. So I've purchased a...
  6. Hiding taskbar without moving icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hiding taskbar without moving icons: Everytime I try to hide my taskbar, my icons get all jumbles. Is there anyway to stop that? submitted by /u/kyle22455 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l5lljx/hiding_taskbar_without_moving_icons/
  7. Sysprepped without generalising

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sysprepped without generalising: Warning: I am very new to this stuff so sorry if I sound like an actual imbecile also I do not know what generalise means I just built a new pc using ryzen instead of intel which I was using before so I decided to actually sysprep my hard drives for once instead of slapping...
  8. How do I fix icons in position on wallpaper and taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I fix icons in position on wallpaper and taskbar?: I have icons for documents and shortcuts to software on my desktop and taskbar. Occasionally Windows 10.0.18362 'tidies up' for me and I can't find a darn thing! Can I fix things in position I want and not have them move?...
  9. how to add desktop icons to sysprep image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to add desktop icons to sysprep image: Can you tell me how to keep the icons I set in my customized windows 10 image. I add them and do a sysprep with copyprofile but when i image the new computer, my desktop and network, and user - etc icons are not there. Also can you or someone show me how to keep the "select...
  10. Windows Taskbar not showing pinned icons, open applications, etc

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Taskbar not showing pinned icons, open applications, etc: [img] Here is a screenshot of my current view. On the taskbar, I can only access the start menu. Clicking on the search opens the pop up but I cannot type anything. All keyboard shortcuts are working. I also can't see my pinned icons, or any of the icons in the bottom...