Windows 10: How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

Discus and support How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently got my laptop hdd replaced with an ssd and needed the entire system cloned but I guess the technician didn't understand because he gave me a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by George.__, Apr 1, 2021.

1. George.__ Win User

How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

I recently got my laptop hdd replaced with an ssd and needed the entire system cloned but I guess the technician didn't understand because he gave me a laptop with a fresh windows 10 copy and only the user profile files stored in a folder called backup

Is it possible to system clone my external hard drive to the current ssd in the laptop and how would I go about doing that.

:)

George.__, Apr 1, 2021
  2. OrbitzXT Win User

How to clone a hard drive?

I'm a little confused about one thing with this guide.

If my existing HDD is unplugged, and the only thing plugged in is my new, blank, SSD...where is the system image being stored for Windows to restore from?

Edit: I missed the part where it says you'll need an extra HDD to do this, my bad. Do you know if an external HDD would work to store the system image on?

OrbitzXT, Apr 1, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Apr 1, 2021
  4. How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

Migrating to a SSD - clone or fresh install?

Also to make it clear when cloning both the source (your hard drive) and the destination drive (your SSD) must both be connected.

When Imaging only the source (hard drive) and an external USB drive to store the image need be connected. After the Image Backup is created you remove the hard drive, connect the SSD and restore the image (using the image backup product's "Recovery Media"
    which you need to create and boot from) to the SSD. Most products also have a "SSD" option check box to properly configure the SSD offset.

You can read a product's user's guide to see exactly what step are required for cloning or imaging.

: http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

1. How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd - Similar Threads - system clone external

2. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  3. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  4. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?

Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?: Hi OK I got a new fan and attempted to fix my old laptop (the Acer Aspire 5742) but it didn't work. (Even though the old fan looks ok. And it wasn't even that dusty). But it was an eleven year old laptop, so... Anyway I still have 4 days work on the old laptop SSD. So will...
  6. Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive: My operating system runs on a Corsair SSD hard drive. I plan to clone the OS to a much larger Samsung SSD hard drive using Acronis.. And I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues between the hard drives? 137880
  7. Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system)

Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system): Hi folks while Ms seems to be deprecating the Windows to go idea (currently its only officially available when "Certified" devices are used and you use Windows enterprise you can easily make a Windows to go from any Windows edition -- the problem is that most of the Free...
  8. Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system): Hi folks while Ms seems to be deprecating the Windows to go idea (currently its only officially available when "Certified" devices are used and you use Windows enterprise you can easily make a Windows to go from any Windows edition -- the problem is that most of the Free...
  9. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831
  10. Cloning SSD via External USB Drive

Cloning SSD via External USB Drive: I just acquired a second laptop identical to the one I have. I will have exactly the same configuration on both and keep them in sync. I need to clone the SSD to the new SSD, but I don't have access to a desktop or eSATA port. Is there a way to use Macrium Reflect to clone...