Windows 10: How to tell if a PC has been 'upgraded' from 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10

Discus and support How to tell if a PC has been 'upgraded' from 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have a new laptop that has Win 10 Home pre-installed...no recover disk was supplied. Is there a way to see if this laptop is a clean/fresh factory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trinaz, Nov 6, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

How to tell if a PC has been 'upgraded' from 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10

Have a new laptop that has Win 10 Home pre-installed...no recover disk was supplied. Is there a way to see if this laptop is a clean/fresh factory install of Windows 10 Home....or was upgraded at the factory from a Win 7 and/or Win 8.1 ? It was sold as a Windows 10 Home laptop ?

Thanks....

:)

trinaz, Nov 6, 2015
  2. Tom_WC Win User

How can I tell if a photo in 'collection' has been put into a 'album'?

Finally,
    FastStone
    lets you make extensive comments and gives you the option of hiding or showing them. But I can't find the comments using Explorer (or by searching in FastStone).

That's something you should check as you evaluate different products. Make sure the information you supply is also searchable. Good luck!

Tom_WC, Nov 6, 2015
  3. How can I tell if a photo in 'collection' has been put into a 'album'?

1. I do not have duplicates

2. yes I did there are thousand there organized by tag, but 2000 unspecified! I don't find any way to create or move a pic or group by tag into an album, the drop down menu will let me open it with photos but that is pretty useless. I open a new folder
    and it flies off somewhere sometimes and the end of hundreds of unspecified or in the middle (who knows) AND I CAN NOT TAG IT TO MOVE IT TO WHERE I WANT.

3. I realize photos organize automatically but DOES NOT GIVE ME THE TOOLS IN EITHER PHOTOS OR EXPLORER to
    organize my pictures the way I want
    and have that group available in either to be viewed the way I want, sequence etc. Who figured we could all remember the exact day Aunt Mary wore her new pink dress?

4 of course whats your point?

6 You keep saying no problem, this would be great if I never took any more photos and only wanted the existing pics in one tag! This makes no sense to me. I have a tag group Named "Freds Garden" taken before windows 10, if I want to add more pics to freds
    garden I can't, why no problem.

7 Yes I know

8 no its not "meaningless" I might have a pic in "Freds Garden" and in an album called "Roses" am I supposed to troll through 2000 pics to find out if I have all of them there? Why isn't there a r click for file info to tell me where in photo, or the ability
    to add and move pics around in tags the way I want. Doing it in explorer dkflkfl;kflkdfkldlkfkf

9 No problem!!!!!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE 200 I DOWNLOADED FROM MY 600 DOLLAR CAMERA THAT ARE NOW ADDED TO THE MESS, I am really angry, I have been a loyal customer telling everyone how good Microsoft is and then you slam us with windows 10. WELL THOUGHT OUT PROGRAMS
    THAT WORKED FOR ALL KINDS OF USERS NO LONGER THERE - CUSTOMER LOYALTY THATS FOR SURE. And that niece of mine is now over 25 and she bought an mac.

RelocatingNew, Nov 6, 2015
  4. Superfly Win User

I'm not one to promote my own app, but ShowkeyPlus will give you the info you need.

If it has an 'Original key' - it was a upgrade.

Superfly, Nov 6, 2015
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Why do you suspect that the OS was upgraded? I see no reason why any manufacturer would do this. The only reason why an upgrade is done is to preserve settings and applications in the previous OS, something which the manufacturer has no interest in.

A manufacturer or large organization would not normally install an OS the way individuals do. It is just too time consuming for large numbers of computers. Most likely the hard drive had the OS installed from an image.

LMiller7, Nov 6, 2015
  6. trinaz Win User
    Thanks Thanks LMiller and Superfly...We have had this new laptop for a month and still have not been able to login to Windows 10 Home. Searches have shown that this is a common problem out there...and particularly if the system was upgraded from 8.1 to 10 ?

Doesn't seem likely a manufacturer would toss out a bunch of 8.1 outdated systems if they could get rid of them at a discounted price with Win 10 Home Installed ?? When we called the manufacturer...they simply said it was our fault we couldn't log in and we were pretty much on our own ??

Bink has been helping me but I'm still getting use to the terminology used in 10 vs the straight forward options in 7 Pro

Thanks...

Thanks...

trinaz, Nov 6, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have had a new laptop for a month that you have not been able to log into?!!!!! Wow, I would have taken that back the first day.....just me.

NavyLCDR, Nov 6, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Fill out your system specs please. That will help us help you.

See here: How to See Your System Specs with "System Info"

With that info we can show you how to restore the computer to it's Factory new state so you can setup a user account and get logged in.

I agree with NavyLCDR though, return it and get a new one, maybe even a different manufacturer.

Ztruker, Nov 6, 2015
  9. There should be a keyboard key you can press on boot up to do the factory reset. That will put it back to the OOBE, Out Of the Box Experience. It will be like it was the first time you turned it on. Need more info on why you can't log on? Like when this happened? What message you get, what screen you see. Have you ever been able to log on since you first turned it on? Etc.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to tell if a PC has been 'upgraded' from 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - tell has been

2. how to upgrade from window 8 to window 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to upgrade from window 8 to window 10: my laptop keeps informing me to upgrade to window 10 but when i tried, the system says i cant upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-upgrade-from-window-8-to-window-10/2890728e-2cdd-4219-b6b6-4b884b427f7d
  3. how to upgrade from window 8 to window 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to upgrade from window 8 to window 10: my laptop keeps informing me to upgrade to window 10 but when i tried, the system says i cant upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-upgrade-from-window-8-to-window-10/2890728e-2cdd-4219-b6b6-4b884b427f7d
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1: Hi, Can I still upgrade free of cost into windows 10 from windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 Computers. They can activate by windows 7/8/8.1 product keys. Please reply...
  5. How to tell if a PC has been used or started up before

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to tell if a PC has been used or started up before: I would like to purchase a new PC but I want to make sure that the one I’m getting has not been returned by a customer and then re shelved and that it has never been used, I heard the windows 10 out of box experience will show up if it’s been the first time it’s ever went...
  6. upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 in RAID 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 in RAID 1: I have a Dell precision T3600 with RAID 1 configuration running Windows 7 Professional that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. My goal is to upgrade without loosing functionality. So, I have some questions. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 in the RAID 1 configuration following a...
  7. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  8. Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10: I have some legal/technical questions Today I updated 3 pcs to Windows 10 1909 PC1: Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro, I didn't need to provide a license key. PC2: Windows 8 Home to Windows 10 Home, I didn't need to provide a license key, but when I tried to upgrade from...
  9. Recovery CDs for Windows 7 when PC has been upgraded to Windows 10...

Recovery CDs for Windows 7 when PC has been upgraded to Windows 10...: How can I recover my PC when Windows 10 won't allow my Windows 7 recovery disks to work? I get a message stating that my computer is on a different version than Windows 7...
  10. How to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8

How to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8: I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 after it unwittingly started an upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8. I disliked the appearance of Windows 8.1 so upgraded from there to Windows 10. I hoped to continue using Windows 8 on my desktop - I like its appearance, it has been...