Windows 10: How to tell if my license is OEM or full ?

Discus and support How to tell if my license is OEM or full ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A few years back, I purchased a WIN 8 Pro license to grade my Dell laptop from WIN7 home to WIN 8 pro. Since WIN7 home came with the laptop, it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hw_user, Mar 4, 2021.

1. hw_user Win User

How to tell if my license is OEM or full ?

A few years back, I purchased a WIN 8 Pro license to grade my Dell laptop from WIN7 home to WIN 8 pro. Since WIN7 home came with the laptop, it was probably an OEM license. I want to retire the old Dell laptop. If my understanding is correct, I can move my WIN8 pro to my new laptop only if my WIN8 pro license is a full license. Can anyone help me how to tell

if my WIN 8 pro license is a full license? I do not have the original invoice. Will the product key served as an identifier?

:)

hw_user, Mar 4, 2021
  2. Xalorous Win User

Can I run virtual windows with my OEM license?

1. Backup your Windows installation.
    2. Uninstall Windows from your hard drive.
    3. Install Windows in a VM.
    4. Ensure the Windows installation has internet access.
    5. Attempt to activate the installation. You may need to call Microsoft to complete this step over the phone.

If they ask you why your are re-activating, tell them you have removed the old installation and changed your system configuration and that you are now reinstalling. (All true.)

Don't volunteer that the Windows 7 key is OEM. Your Windows 10 entitlement may or may not be marked as originating from OEM. If they say that it is OEM and that you cannot use it to activate, then you know. Say thanks and end the call. Restore your backup from step 1 and stick with dual boot, or purchase a copy of Windows 10 and activate yours that way.

Of course, you could always install Hyper-V component of Windows 10 and run your Linux inside. No licensing issues that way. And it may be installed and running by default.

Also, before step 2, you might try to find some sort of P2V solution. This basically takes an 'image' of your physical system and converts it to a virtual machine. VirtualBox wiki article. This may trigger a reactivation due to the significant change in the HAL (hardware abstraction layer).

Xalorous, Mar 4, 2021
  3. Windows 10 OEM Licensing

Hi

I have a few questions about windows 10 OEM licensing:

1. Is OEM licensing acceptable for business use?
    2. What restrictions does OEM licensing have other than the transfer rights?
    3. Can the OS be reloaded without breaching the license agreement, and if so, can I also replace the HDD with an SSD?
    4. What other hardware upgrades can be done under OEM licensing?
    5. What would be a breach of OEM licensing?
    6. What benefits would a business get if they move to Microsoft 365 vs OEM?
    Thanks in advace

Adriaan Rautenbach, Mar 4, 2021
  4. John Ado Win User

Windows 10 Pro Retail or OEM or Volume License

Hi Raju,

This is an interesting topic. If the last three letters of your Product ID ends with
    OEM, then your license was issued by manufacturer. These type of licenses cannot be transferred to another computer because it is tied up with the device itself. Otherwise, if it doesn't end with OEM, your copy of Windows is from a retail merchant.
    These licenses can be transferred to another computer. Unless your device was issued by your company, or from an organization, then it could have been activated under Volume licensing.

To be sure, check the type of license you that you have by following these steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type slmgr -dli and press Enter.
    • It will show you a pop up box telling you what type of license you are using.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

John Ado, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

1. How to tell if my license is OEM or full ? - Similar Threads - tell license OEM

2. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail: OK, I asked a similar question already.Basically, according to cmd's slmgr command, my windows key is on the retail channel.However we bought the computer a while ago, a year or so after windows 10 first released.I'm really confused, since it's telling me it's a retail copy,...
  3. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail: OK, I asked a similar question already.Basically, according to cmd's slmgr command, my windows key is on the retail channel.However we bought the computer a while ago, a year or so after windows 10 first released.I'm really confused, since it's telling me it's a retail copy,...
  4. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. OEM License

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  6. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  7. Does Microsoft store sell full license or OEM

Does Microsoft store sell full license or OEM: I am looking to build a new pc and use windows 10. But the only place I feel safe buying keys is the Microsoft store. So when I buy and build my pc, I want to buy a key from the Microsoft store. But are the keys from Microsoft store full or are they OEM cause I plan on...
  8. How to return to OEM license?

How to return to OEM license?: Hi, I bought a windows 10 pro license key from ebay, my computer already had windows 10 home installed from when i purchased my computer so it had a oem license. I entered the product key for Windows 10 pro which has now locked my computer into S mode unless I purchase...
  9. How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS)

in Windows 10 News
    How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS): [ATTACH] We all have heard about Windows Keys all the time. This Product Key activates Windows on your computer so you can use it without any limitation. There are multiple places from where you can buy a Windows key. It can [...] This post How to tell if Windows 10 license...
  10. Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 License: how do I tell if I have a full retail or a limited OEM license?: I purchased a Dell PC 2 years ago with a Windows license, but as always I immediately reblasted with Linux (I am a linux admin). My plan, as many times before, was to have the Windows license in case I needed it at some point - for instance, to create a Windows virtual...