Windows 10: How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS)

Discus and support How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] We all have heard about Windows Keys all the time. This Product Key activates Windows on your computer so you can use it without any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 13, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS)

WinClub, Dec 13, 2018
  2. John Ado Win User

Windows 10 Pro Retail or OEM or Volume License

Hi Raju,

This is an interesting topic. If the last three letters of your Product ID ends with
    OEM, then your license was issued by manufacturer. These type of licenses cannot be transferred to another computer because it is tied up with the device itself. Otherwise, if it doesn't end with OEM, your copy of Windows is from a retail merchant.
    These licenses can be transferred to another computer. Unless your device was issued by your company, or from an organization, then it could have been activated under Volume licensing.

To be sure, check the type of license you that you have by following these steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type slmgr -dli and press Enter.
    • It will show you a pop up box telling you what type of license you are using.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

John Ado, Dec 13, 2018
  3. SarahKong Win User
    go from the oem to the volume licensing

Do your machines travel a lot?

Meaning will they be possibly off network for more than 100 days?

If so, then use the MAK volume licensing.

If not then use the KMS volume licensing.

MAK is a one time activation therefore it is good as long as the operating system is installed. But you can't recycle the licenses.

KMS is a server that runs on your network that activates the devices. And the devices will reactivate every 180 days. Therefore, you can recycle licenses.

We always use KMS for desktops and MAK for mobile devices.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/licensing/produ...

SarahKong, Dec 13, 2018
  4. RajuDS Win User

Windows 10 Pro Retail or OEM or Volume License

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not a Tech Savvy hence unable to understand how to access command prompt on newly installed Windows 10 Pro. I am still learning & getting adapted on Windows 10 features.

I had asked the dealer to install either retail or OEM version of 64 Bit Windows 10 on my PC.

Product ID is: 00331-10000-00001-AA575

Can you please guide me now whether it is:

1. Windows 10 Pro Retail

2. Windows 10 OEM

3. Windows 10 Volume License.

Immediately upon installation, I asked the dealer why OEM alphabets are not there in the product ID to which he said that for Windows 10 edition OEM alphabets are not used.

When I contacted Microsoft chat support team for seeking help on Windows 10 updates, the team said my product is volume license hence I should contact volume license team. It was shock of disbelief for me to know instead of OEM whether the dealer has installed
    volume license version.

I would appreciate your prompt response to above.

Thanks and regards

RajuDS, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

1. How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS) - Similar Threads - tell license OEM

2. Reinstall Windows with Volume MAK licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows with Volume MAK licensing: Hello all,I have a laptopt that came with Windows 10 pre-installed by the vendor and the type of licensing seems to be "Volume MAK" and linked to my account. Due to some issues I would like to format the computer hard drive and do a clean reinstall of Windows, but I'm not...
  3. Reinstall Windows with Volume MAK licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows with Volume MAK licensing: Hello all,I have a laptopt that came with Windows 10 pre-installed by the vendor and the type of licensing seems to be "Volume MAK" and linked to my account. Due to some issues I would like to format the computer hard drive and do a clean reinstall of Windows, but I'm not...
  4. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail: OK, I asked a similar question already.Basically, according to cmd's slmgr command, my windows key is on the retail channel.However we bought the computer a while ago, a year or so after windows 10 first released.I'm really confused, since it's telling me it's a retail copy,...
  5. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail: OK, I asked a similar question already.Basically, according to cmd's slmgr command, my windows key is on the retail channel.However we bought the computer a while ago, a year or so after windows 10 first released.I'm really confused, since it's telling me it's a retail copy,...
  6. How can I actually tell if a license is oem or retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Transferring a windows 10 volume MAK license

Transferring a windows 10 volume MAK license: So I’m building a pc and wanted to use windows 10. I have this asus laptop with a volume MAK windows 10 license and I wanted to transfer it to my new PC. Does anyone know if it’s actually possible to transfer that license?...
  8. OEM Windows 10 license converstion to KMS (Volume Licensing) without any cost ?

OEM Windows 10 license converstion to KMS (Volume Licensing) without any cost ?: Need to understand if OEM licenses can be changed to volume licensing without any additional cost ? Here is the scenario : An organization is purchasing LAPTOPs with Windows 10 pro pre-installed and then they wipe out the operating system and install windows 10 pro using...
  9. What are KMS and MAK Volume Licensing Keys of Windows

in Windows 10 News
    What are KMS and MAK Volume Licensing Keys of Windows: [ATTACH] Microsoft wants to make sure that every Windows 10 that is used is activated i.e. marked as genuine. When a copy of Windows is activated it goes through a check. The way a copy of Windows is activated differently from each [...] This post What are KMS and MAK Volume...
  10. Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume: How to: Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume How to Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume When it comes to purchasing licenses for Windows there are a number of different channels that you can purchase through. The most...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 activation code VOLUME_MAK

2. does retail box microsoft use KMS or MAK?

3. OEM vs volume_mak keys

4. kms oem,
  5. kw9-00017 activation problem,
  6. determine if windows 10 is using kms or mak,
  7. oem vs mak licence,
  8. how to know if licences is KMS or MAK,
  9. retail key vs OEM:DM vs volume MAK,
  10. windows 10 licensing how to tell if MAK key is installed,
  11. windows 10 oem to kms,
  12. w to now licence is oem or mak,
  13. how-to-tell-if-windows-10-license-is-oem-retail-or-volume-mak-kms,
  14. windows 10 retail to kms,