Windows 10: How to tell what type of display

Discus and support How to tell what type of display in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Under all the old Windows programs you used to be able to go to display settings and be able to tell which type of monitor and display was which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Trust_No1, May 30, 2017.

1. Trust_No1 Win User

How to tell what type of display

Under all the old Windows programs you used to be able to go to display settings
    and be able to tell which type of monitor and display was which

example a Samsung monitor or a Sony TV monitor

it used to tell you in the detect portion, you could tell exactly which was which. So how do I tell that now. I work with remote setups and dual monitors but I can't tell which is which.

Is there a way to tell with this new superior Windows 10 that they have put out?

:)

Trust_No1, May 30, 2017

2. Windows 10 - How to tell what type of Activation I have, Digital Entitlement / Digital License or Product key

Not at all, please do.

Thanks

J W Stuart, May 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - How to tell what type of Activation I have, Digital Entitlement / Digital License or Product key

Good wiki. Liked and suggested as asset, mind if I refer people to it?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How to tell what type of display [​IMG]

Here perhaps? (Sorry, I don't have a desktop).

dalchina, May 30, 2017
  5. Trust_No1 Win User
    No that doesn't do it.. I already know what types I have, I just don't know which i am looking at

Trust_No1, May 30, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    I use the good but for-a-fee program System Information for Windows Professional (aka SIW Pro) available from Gabe Topala. Here's what it shows me about my video device chain (GPU board and monitors):

It's truncated because I didn't want to change my screen resolution to get everything in (the rest of the missing monitor stuff is identical to what's show for Monitor 1 because they're both identical devices). I hope this shows you what you might be looking for on your system. If so, visit SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala for more information about ordering and download (I pay $50 a year for 10 licenses plus one technician's license, but it costs $100 to buy the first year at that level, $50 thereafter).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 30, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 30, 2017
  8. Trust_No1 Win User

No ... Look at your images
    you see where it says Display <Mobile PC Display> that is what I want to know...
    you used to be able to click on one side or the other and it tells you the TYPE of monitor attached.

The problem is some places have certain things that are displayed on their TV, but they may rearrange the monitors. Monitor 2 moved to the left or vise versa When I am hooked up remotely, Windows 10 offers no way for me to tell which display is which,where as all previous versions did, as you demonstrate in your example.

And people wonder why I believe Windows 10 to be no-so-great, they have stripped the guts from it. It is becoming useless.

Trust_No1, May 31, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Don't know why the difference but my monitor is shown correctly in Device Manager as an HP Compaq L2105tm on my Win10 RTM Version 1607 Build 14393.1198 but it shows as a Generic on my Win10 Insider Preview Version 1703 Build 16199.1000. It also shows as an HP 22" on Linux Mint. I use a KVM.

Berton, May 31, 2017
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    You misunderstand...I already know that they are different types.

Display manager only tells you what is installed, it doesn't tell you their identity (1 or 2)

But look at the images again..the old way you could click on right or left screen and it would tell which type of display it was for that location. So if they moved them around, unless it was written down somewhere that the mobile display was 1 and the TV was display 2. You wouldn't know which was which.

I would physically have to keep a journal of which displays were which.

let me show you

if you click on 1 , if you look at Display, it tells the type and if you clicked on 2 it would tell you what it is.

I just don't know why they remove such fundamental functions.
    Windows 10 has dozens of small things they have removed

Trust_No1, May 31, 2017
  11. I used to run extended displays with a monitor and a laptop (with the laptop screen).

The only way I could identify the screen is by opening a window then dragging it on both screen. Since Windows 10 by default have taskbar on both screens it is pretty difficult to tell which is 1st and then 2nd.

Of course, the laptop screen is my default screen so Windows makes this as the 1st screen while the monitor that is plugged into the laptop is the 2nd one. I don't know about yours but try removing the cable of one of your monitor then just plug it again then check.

RoasterMen, Jun 1, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    As MS has apparently removed a needed feature, suggest using the Feedback app and commenting on an MS forum.

dalchina, Jun 1, 2017
  13. Trust_No1 Win User

Yes that fine if you are standing in front of the screens. But not if you are troubleshooting remotely.

As if that really helps, done it dozens of times and nothing ever changes.

Trust_No1, Jun 1, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Then I'll remove my subscription to your thread. Thank you for your comment. Good luck.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to tell what type of display - Similar Threads - tell type display

2. how to tell what a paint 3D file is

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to tell what a paint 3D file is: recently due to extrenous circumstance I have been forced to reset paint 3D now to preserve my work I wish to gain my most recent project A challenger 2 MBT which cannot be opened by paint 3D due to the fact that it shall cause paint 3D to crash as soon as I interact with the...
  3. how to tell what a paint 3D file is

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to tell what a paint 3D file is: recently due to extrenous circumstance I have been forced to reset paint 3D now to preserve my work I wish to gain my most recent project A challenger 2 MBT which cannot be opened by paint 3D due to the fact that it shall cause paint 3D to crash as soon as I interact with the...
  4. Can someone please tell me what type of ram I have?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone please tell me what type of ram I have?: Can someone please tell me what type of ram I have? Here is my laptop model: Asus ZenBook UX434IQ_Q407IQ. Don't tell me to check in the windows task manager because all it says is "other" for memory type....
  5. Can someone please tell me what type of ram I have?

Can someone please tell me what type of ram I have?: Can someone please tell me what type of ram I have? Here is my laptop model: Asus ZenBook UX434IQ_Q407IQ. Don't tell me to check in the windows task manager because all it says is "other" for memory type....
  6. Please tell me how to type this command correctly to delete it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please tell me how to type this command correctly to delete it: del / D:\DCIM\Camera\20200715_101327.jpg I cannot delete this jpg from one of my older backup disks and therefore cannot use the disk - it seems to be locking the whole thing up. I have tried over and over, I have tried Formatting, I have tried typing into cmd prompt as...
  7. RAM type is not displayed

in Windows 10 Customization
    RAM type is not displayed: I checked my task manager in that under performance tab and memory option only the storage is visible and not the type of RAM. I have a 8 gb ddr4. Even in bios setup I can only see the storage and not the type. laptop model is Asus ROG STRIX G731GT-H7179T and its a brand new...
  8. how to tell what devices are on my network

how to tell what devices are on my network: how to tell devices on my network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-tell-what-devices-are-on-my-network/5c8ebd94-5bd6-4675-a08b-8b48ece5e79e
  9. How To Tell What Verison an SM App is?

How To Tell What Verison an SM App is?: For all the MS apps like for Photos, Weather, etc.? I see nothing to tell them this. At least in the Apple App store, they list the new version, plus the date the version was released and the version history. Thanks. 23116
  10. How to tell what's running on network

How to tell what's running on network: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and I've noticed that something has been down/up loading over my network at 64KB/sec for the last several hours. However, none of my programs that I would associate with the network - browsers, Steam, Origin, etc - were running. I have tried...