Windows 10: How to tell Windows not categorize VPNs as metered connection?

Discus and support How to tell Windows not categorize VPNs as metered connection? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use a VPN connection via a .pbk file (dial-up phonebook) so it's not built in Windows. whenever I connect to it Windows 10 thinks i'm using a metered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DefaultUsername1, Apr 12, 2019.

1. How to tell Windows not categorize VPNs as metered connection?

I use a VPN connection via a .pbk file (dial-up phonebook) so it's not built in Windows. whenever I connect to it Windows 10 thinks i'm using a metered connection, i couldn't find any way to change it, all i could find was an option in Windows update to enable downloading over metered connection.

in the Windows network settings my WIFI is already set as non-metered connection but a VPN connection using a .pbk file doesn't show up in there. it's a PPTP connection btw and i'm running Windows Insider 20H1 fast ring.

:)

DefaultUsername1, Apr 12, 2019
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Apr 12, 2019
  3. dust10 Win User
    How do I set my VPN as metered connection

Hi,

I have a limited bandwidth on my internet so I have my connection set to metered. The problem is when I connect to a VPN that metered connection gets overridden(?) and all the updates start downloading. There's no option on my VPN as well about anything remotely containing metered connections so... How do I use my VPN while keeping the metered connection active so the updates won't automatically start downloading?

Thanks!

dust10, Apr 12, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

How to tell Windows not categorize VPNs as metered connection?

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Tired of Germany blocking many youtube videos? *Big Grin How to tell Windows not categorize VPNs as metered connection? :D

P4-630, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

How to tell Windows not categorize VPNs as metered connection?

1. How to tell Windows not categorize VPNs as metered connection? - Similar Threads - tell categorize VPNs

2. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection: My wifi says turn off metered connection but when i go to settings the wifi tab does not appear please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection/f3e9f6a8-62a2-41b4-955f-ff35086fb242
  3. Metered Connections

Metered Connections: How do I change my settings so I can connect to WI-FI? At the moment, it says I can only use an ethernet cord which is not an option. I have a ASUS Desktop running on Windows 10 PRO....
  4. Metered connection

Metered connection: Hello, I've been trying to set up a metered connection for half an hour and after awhile I got it working until it's expire date now the option is grayed out. Here's a screenshot:[ATTACH]...
  5. metered connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    metered connection: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Hello. I live in canada and have a metered connection. I have my wifi set to metered connection and all others I connect the computer to. I have automatic updates set to off. Why does windows still download updates? I have to pay for it in the end WTH?!!!...
  6. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  7. metered connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    metered connection: How do you turn off metered connection off, my Bluetooth devices will not connect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection/5f8da87a-b822-4b37-b7ae-0f00d0e23d8a
  8. METERED CONNECTION

METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  9. METERED CONNECTION

in Cortana
    METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  10. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...