Windows 10: How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive?

Discus and support How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Windows 10 PC has a 3.5" floppy drive, and I have a few old boxes of disks here. I want to to a full format and verify on the floppy disks to verify... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Calab, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Calab Win User

How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive?

My Windows 10 PC has a 3.5" floppy drive, and I have a few old boxes of disks here. I want to to a full format and verify on the floppy disks to verify that they are good, and that the floppy drive is working OK.

Other than the built in formatter (does it verify?) are there any floppy disk testing programs out there that will work on a Window 10 or 7 machine?

:)

Calab, Mar 25, 2021

2. Computer without a floppy disk drive that indicates a floppy disk drive? :-(

Hi, JClaude

My name is Kathleen and I am an Independent Advisor. I would be happy to help you today.

1 Open the Control Panel. Select "System and maintenance", then "Administrative tools".

2 Double-click on "Computer Management". Click "Continue" to verify that you want to open the Computer Management window.

3 Click on the link titled "storage" in the lower left corner of the window and then select "Disk Management". Find the drive letter assigned to the floppy drive in the panel in the center of the window, such as "(A How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)" or "(B How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)."

4 Right-click on the letter of the diskette drive and select "Change drive letters and paths." Click on the drive letter and choose the "Delete" option.

5 Click OK. "Close the window and restart the operating system to erase the floppy drive from the list of available drives.

Let us know if these steps help you to resolve the issue.

KahtleenTasman85, Mar 25, 2021
  3. Rhaine C. Win User
    Floppy disk drive driver

Greetings,

I appreciate your swift response, if the above steps did not work no worries since this is an open forum , we can ask assistance from other community volunteers with their feedback and suggestion with this issue.

For the meantime you can try to check on this thread by @Gary_816

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

After 6 hours this worked for me. I have the Teac drive also and it appeared to install correctly, but did not show up in Windows Explorer. During a boot up the drive clicks and spins like 3.5" drives did on older systems if there is diskette in the drive.
    I opened "Devices and Printers" in the Control Panel and the drive was there. With the diskette still inserted, right click on the Teac icon and select "Browse files > Floppy Disk Drive (AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)". File Explorer should open up and you will see the files on the
    floppy listed. You will now see "Floppy Disk Drive (AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)" listed under "This PC". Right click on "Floppy Disk Drive (AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)" and select "Pin to Quick access". "Floppy Disk Drive (AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)" should appear under "Quick access". Although "Floppy Disk Drive (AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)" will disappear
    from "This PC" after you close and reopen File Explorer, it will remain under "Quick access" and you can access it from there. It appears that W10 now thinks there is an internal drive "(AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)" because if you right click it "Eject" does not appear as an option.
    Why it disappears from "This PC" is a mystery.

Note: On my machine (ASUS) if I take out the diskette or disconnect the drive, "Floppy Disk Drive (AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)" stays in the "Quick access" menu. So no need to keep a diskette in the drive all the time or even have it connected all the time. Worked fine after I reconnected
    it.

Note 1: Under "Devices and Printers" the Drive was identified as "TEAC FD-05PUB". If you get something different (assuming you have a TEAC) try running "Troubleshoot" and see if that corrects it.

I hope the information above helps.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

With Warm Regards,

Rhaine C., Mar 25, 2021
  4. How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive?

Floppy Disk Drive (AHow to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? :)

Hi Penny,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

We are really sorry to say that the Floppy Disk Drive has no compatibility with Windows and there is no support to floppy disk drives.

For further more clarifications I would suggest you to check/Contact with the manufacturer.

keep us posted if you are facing any other issue with Windows.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive?

1. How to test 3.5" floppy disks and drive? - Similar Threads - test floppy disks

2. Flashdisk shown as floppy disk drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flashdisk shown as floppy disk drive: I use defraggler and after sometime it's not responding I close the app and then try to use it again but I noticed that the flashdisk media type became floppy disk drive. How do I fix it?...
  3. Floppy disk drive on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Floppy disk drive on Windows 10: I recently bought bought a floppy drive off Amazon along with some diskettes, but when trying to format the drive it gives me an error saying "Windows was unable to complete the format". Does anyone have a fix for this?...
  4. Floppy disk drive driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Floppy disk drive driver: I have a Sony external USB FDD identified by my Windows 10 control panel as MPF-MSRW1. Although my PC identifies it as present, the driver it has used does not seem to work. I have used Troubleshooter and Update Driver facilities but neither is able to determine a driver that...
  5. Floppy Disk

Floppy Disk: Window 10 does not recognized the floppy disk when a disk is inserted. Is there an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/floppy-disk/fde13a9a-d820-4fe5-b508-5b03d022ba1e
  6. Floppy disk drive not reading disks

Floppy disk drive not reading disks: I have an external floppy disk drive that I have been using and it has stopped working with the message: "A: is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."...
  7. Computer without a floppy disk drive indicates a floppy disk error :-(

Computer without a floppy disk drive indicates a floppy disk error :-(: Hello all I have Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop computer with Windows 10 (build 1809) up to date! The computer works very well and does not have a floppy disk, never have and will never have because no port is provided on the motherboard for this! Yet in the "Device Manager",...
  8. Computer without a floppy disk drive indicates a floppy disk error :-(

in Windows 10 News
    Computer without a floppy disk drive indicates a floppy disk error :-(: Hello all I have Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop computer with Windows 10 (build 1809) up to date! The computer works very well and does not have a floppy disk, never have and will never have because no port is provided on the motherboard for this! Yet in the "Device Manager",...
  9. Computer without a floppy disk drive that indicates a floppy disk drive? :-(

Computer without a floppy disk drive that indicates a floppy disk drive? :-(: Hello all I have Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop computer with Windows 10 (build 1809) up to date! The computer works very well and does not have a floppy disk, never have and will never have because no port is provided on the motherboard for this! Yet in the "Device Manager",...
  10. Iomega floppy disk usb drive

Iomega floppy disk usb drive: Hi. I would like to know whether I can use my old Iomega floppy disk usb drive under Windows 10. If yes, what should I do to perform the right steps towards an adequate installation of that drive. Rgs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. floppy drive test program