Windows 10: How to toggle between fn keys doing f1-f5 or brightness/volume

Discus and support How to toggle between fn keys doing f1-f5 or brightness/volume in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I own an HP Envy Notebook PC (datasheet here: Page Not Found | HP® Official Site). At the moment, pressing the f1-f2 keys activates their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ConceptEight, Aug 2, 2017.

1. How to toggle between fn keys doing f1-f5 or brightness/volume

Hello,

I own an HP Envy Notebook PC (datasheet here: Page Not Found | HP® Official Site). At the moment, pressing the f1-f2 keys activates their secondary function, so for example turning the brightness/volume up/down. As an avid gamer, using the f-keys is beneficial sometimes, but the only way I can find to swap the f-keys from brightness/volume to the actual f-keys is by rebooting, going into the BIOS, and changing the configurations in there. Is there a simpler way to do it on my computer without having to restart?

:)

ConceptEight, Aug 2, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

FN Button

FN stands for 'function' and it refers to the function keys at the top of your keyboard: F1, F2, F3, etc.

If your keyboard has a FN key, you can use it to toggle between two choices for a given function key. For example: On my keyboard, if I press the F5 key by itself my screen refreshes, which is the Windows default for F5. But if I press F5 and FN at the same
    time, my computer opens a Search box.

BulldogXX, Aug 2, 2017
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Just the fn key, not the F1 or the F12! Don't drag this out.

It does nothing to the backspace key, Tab etc.

Normally only found on laptops, in most cases it will be coloured. F1 to F12 will have a small pictogram in a matching colour indicating things like Wireless, Numlock, Brightness, Volume up/down, Play/Pause.

By default the particular F key will perform the task indicated by the pictogram when the Fn key is held and the function key pressed (lower case "n" is a common mathematical term for a number in a range). There is no fixed function for each key, Dell for
    years used Fn + F5 to switch which screen was to be used and each manufacturer uses their own mix.

On many laptops the BIOS has a toggle setting, the extra function being available by pressing Fn or the function (i.e. F1 = Help) needs the Fn key.

Because it only activates the pictogram it will not do anything with other keys without one.

HairyFool, Aug 2, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

How to toggle between fn keys doing f1-f5 or brightness/volume

Bree, Aug 3, 2017
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    If you haven't already check the following to see if you any Fn Key options ...
    Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware Tab > Options
    Control Panel > Windows Mobility Center.

Note: Didn't see it for you laptop, but watch out for Fn Key Lock (Fn Key+Esc) ... it has bitten me in the butt more than once *Smile

Eagle51, Aug 3, 2017
  6. Ideally I'd like to not have to press the fn key to use the actions as opposed to the functions. Rather I'd just like to toggle fn lock on or off. A metaphor would be holding the shift key to write capital letters when I really just want a caps lock key.

ConceptEight, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to toggle between fn keys doing f1-f5 or brightness/volume

1. How to toggle between fn keys doing f1-f5 or brightness/volume - Similar Threads - toggle between keys

2. How do i switch my fn+F1, F2.... keys functions to just F1, F2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i switch my fn+F1, F2.... keys functions to just F1, F2: So recently i bought a new laptop and im used to pressing just F11 to go fullscreen, no i have to hold the Fn Key too. The same happens if i try pressing F3 in minecraft, I have to hold Fn too. Can somebody help? Thanks...
  3. How do i switch my fn+F1, F2.... keys functions to just F1, F2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i switch my fn+F1, F2.... keys functions to just F1, F2: So recently i bought a new laptop and im used to pressing just F11 to go fullscreen, no i have to hold the Fn Key too. The same happens if i try pressing F3 in minecraft, I have to hold Fn too. Can somebody help? Thanks...
  4. How do i switch my fn+F1, F2.... keys functions to just F1, F2

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Brightness FN keys not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness FN keys not working: Hello, yesterday i reinstalled windows 10 in my Acer Nitro 5 an515-54 laptop, and it was all working except the fn + rignt and left arrow keys. I checked in an "test your input" site, and appearently, it doesn't even register. I already tried fiddling with bios function key...
  6. My volume and brightness keys have switched with fn?

My volume and brightness keys have switched with fn?: I have an HP notebook running the latest windows 10. My volume/brightness keys used to work fine but now they have switched with the fn keys. I went into BIOS and turned off action keys, but that didn't do anything. I do not have a fn lock key on my keyboard, and I've tried...
  7. Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working

Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working: Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-key-fnf5-not-working/ca917718-6d6a-404b-b643-a4398d3f0842
  8. Adjust volume and brightness WITHOUT FN key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adjust volume and brightness WITHOUT FN key?: Hi all, I’m coming from Apple, and now own an Alienware M15 R2 with windows 10. I’m wondering if there is a way to use ONLY the individual brightness control keys and volume control keys to adjust without having to hold “fn” at the same time? Thanks! submitted by...
  9. fn keys for brightness

fn keys for brightness: hello guys I have problem with the fn key for brightness. it work before I format my pc but now didn't work.(p.s for sound, fn keys works but for brightness did not). which can be the problem if u can help me, I will be thankful....
  10. Fn key and F1-F12 keys

Fn key and F1-F12 keys: 1. Previous versions of Win 10 and Office 365 allowed me to make keyboard shortcuts eg F2 = â, F2+Shift = ä, F2+Ctrl = é ... and F3 = ê, F2=Shift = ë etc. Currently the F1 - F12 keys are useless except for the functions showed by symbols (Sleep, Airplane mode on/off, etc)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to switch from f5 to brightness down

2. f5 key toggle

3. how to use shift f5 when it is checking only brighness

4. f4 doing brightness,
  5. toggle between F5 and play/pause,
  6. how to switch f1 to brightness,
  7. how to shift keyboard F5 to volume,
  8. how to switch between f5 and brightness