Windows 10: How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

Discus and support How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Austin Gordon, May 25, 2023.

1. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late to return it so the key has sat unused in my email. Now however, my nephew is building a computer and would like to use the extra key I have. My question is: since I bought the key from my microsoft account is it tied to me? If my nephew activates the key he will want to tie it to his own microsoft account, but can he do this even though I bought the key through my account?

:)

Austin Gordon, May 25, 2023
  2. Kari Win User

key points of Tutorial "Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital "

Yes.

Yes. Signing in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, the password is always that of Microsoft account.

Yes. Digital license of a Windows 10 PC can only be attached to one MS account at any given time.

Yes.

Please notice that license transfer and management can be confusing if you do not use descriptive computer names.

By default Windows names a PC with DESKTOP-XXXXXXX where XXXXXXX is a random 7 character alphanumeric string. Naming your PC before assigning license to a Microsoft account helps you to identify your computers and digital licenses when transferring licenses.

Here's how to name a PC when installing Windows 10:

(Video from thread Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! Solved - Windows 10 Forums)

To give a descriptive name later, see this tutorial: Change Computer Name in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

3. Kari Win User
    Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

4. Kari Win User

How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

Identifying PC's from Digital Activation in microsoft account

You will not need the product key to transfer a license. You have done it correctly by using a Microsoft account to register your digital licenses. it makes the transfer easy.

When you have replaced the motherboard and boot the PC in its deactivated state, check the computer name. It has remained unchanged, being the same it was before motherboard was replaced. When you know the PC name, select I recently changed hardware on this device:

How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another? 192878d1529475144t-identifying-pcs-digital-activation-microsoft-account-image.png

Sign in with your MS account. You will get a list of your registered devices. Select the same PC from the list, click Activate and continue following on-screen instructions:

How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another? 192879d1529475239t-identifying-pcs-digital-activation-microsoft-account-image.png

Tutorial: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

In my case, I have never had any issues to do this. Only information you will need is the name of the PC to transfer its license to new hardware setup.

Thema:

How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

1. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another? - Similar Threads - transfer digital key

2. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?: So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late to return it so the key has sat unused in my email. Now however, my nephew is building a computer and would like to use the...
  3. How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer a digital key from my microsoft account to another?: So a while ago I bought a key to windows 10 home online from microsoft on accident. I already have windows and by the time I caught it it was to late to return it so the key has sat unused in my email. Now however, my nephew is building a computer and would like to use the...
  4. Is it possible to transfer a digital license linked with a Microsoft account to another...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is it possible to transfer a digital license linked with a Microsoft account to another...: ...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-transfer-a-digital-license/677411be-556f-42e5-9115-40625081ab26
  5. Transfer digital license to another account

Transfer digital license to another account: Hey there!I thank you in advance for reading this.I've given my current laptop to another person, but I want it to preserve my digital license. I don't want my account linked to this laptop anymore, so I would like to transfer this license to the new holder account. Is it...
  6. Transfer digital license to another account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer digital license to another account: Hey there!I thank you in advance for reading this.I've given my current laptop to another person, but I want it to preserve my digital license. I don't want my account linked to this laptop anymore, so I would like to transfer this license to the new holder account. Is it...
  7. Transfer digital license to another account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys

Transferring Digital Microsoft Keys: Hi there, About 2-3 years ago we bought a Surface laptop. The laptop came with a Win 10 Pro digital license linked to the device. It is not in use anymore and I was wondering where you can find this license and if it is possible to transfer it to a different device like a...
  9. Transferring digital licence to another microsoft account

Transferring digital licence to another microsoft account: I bought a new laptop yesterday. The seller installed windows 10 I bought the license in the shop. However, they used my mother's details and created a new microsoft account, while I was out and I didn't know that now windows requires microsoft account during first setup. I...
  10. Digital license transfer to another account

Digital license transfer to another account: Hey, I want to change the Microsoft account linked with my PC. However, I am uncertain if by doing so my digital license will be transferred to the new account. I have ensured that the older account is signed out from my device. I was also observing the activation page which...