Windows 10: How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer

Discus and support How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have recently installed Windows 10 64bit onto a new HD and i was trying to copy files from my old 32bit HD onto it. I have tried two different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SNLshooter, Jan 10, 2020.

1. How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer

I have recently installed Windows 10 64bit onto a new HD and i was trying to copy files from my old 32bit HD onto it. I have tried two different methods. First starting on the new drive. I access the old drive and simply attempt a copy paste. However i am never even able to view the files. (I do get the you do not have permission, press continue to gain access prompt.

The second method was to start on the old hard drive (32bit one) and copy the files from there onto the 64bit drive. This seemed to work and then when I went to access the files on the new drive, I was not able to access them at all. For instance. I copied the entire contents of "My Documents" from the 32bit drive to the directory of "My Documents" on the 64bit drive but after the fact, I am completley locked out of My Documents. It says "Can not access, directory or file is corrupted/do not have permissions"

Now I understand that i have permission issues and the such. My question more so is. What would be the best way to go about doing this? (So I dont have to mess with permissions?)

(Also as a side note, after attempting this, I can no longer access windows on either drive now How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer :(...)

Tommorow I am doing a clean install of the 64bit and going to try and copy all the old files onto a flash drive and see if that works better.

submitted by /u/SNLshooter
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SNLshooter, Jan 10, 2020
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Jan 10, 2020
  3. LonGun Win User
    Need Help Files Transfer

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. That computer has two internal HDDs:

The 1st HDD is C:\ that running Windows. And it has 20GB total of capacity.
    The 2nd HDD is D:\ that is empty. And it has 90GB total of capacity.

The C:\ drive is almost run out of space (full). Is there a way I can transfer everything in the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive and begin to use the D:\ drive from there on as primary drive?
    Can the Windows Files Transfer feature in XP transfer everything I have in C:\ to D:\? If it cannot, then which way can I use to perform the above step?

Thank you.

LonGun, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Steevo Win User

How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer

Cable to transfer files

OMG. I have never met anyone who actually bought one of those file transfer things.

Firewire will do the same as USB, but faster, so will a cheap crossover cable. I can wlak you through the steps of moving data so you will not miss a beat.

Anything more than $10 to buy a cable is too much.

Steevo, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer

1. How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer - Similar Threads - transfer files between

2. Difference between 2 files that have the same extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between 2 files that have the same extension: Hi 1st time here, I have a situation where files are being written to a folder with the same file extension (.art) and they can be either a csv type or a PDF and I want to copy the csv files only to another folder to be FTP to a site. I have been looking at Powershell as I...
  3. How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer: When you run a Virtual Machine, many times you require to transfer files between your host computer and the VM. But many users reported that they are unable to do this. This article guides you on how to transfer files between a Virtual Machine and a host computer. [ATTACH]...
  4. How does file sharing between 2 different accounts on the same computer work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How does file sharing between 2 different accounts on the same computer work: If I bought a game on one account, would I have to redownload it on the other account so they both have it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-does-file-sharing-between-2-different-accounts/ff35cb15-9729-4f43-9c29-70382f64ac0c
  5. File sharing between 2 computers

File sharing between 2 computers: File sharing between 2 computers used to be easy when Homegroup was available! How do I file/folder share between 2 computers using Windows 10? If I right click on a folder> Give Access to > Homegroup is not accessible. If I select "specific people" > Add it tells me this...
  6. Transfer of 2 pdf files between computers now requires permission

Transfer of 2 pdf files between computers now requires permission: I have 2 computers, Win10 Pro & WinXP SP-3. For some time now, I've been transferring files back & forth between them on my network. All of a sudden, this happens: 1. I'm on the Win10 machine & open a particular document folder named Bridge in Windows Explorer. 2. While on...
  7. transfer files between computers on a home network

transfer files between computers on a home network: I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected...
  8. transfer files between computers on a home network

in Windows 10 Support
    transfer files between computers on a home network: I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected...
  9. Transferring OS between two SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...
  10. How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.: Hello. Can you help me solve my USERS problem below? I have 30 New, Windows 10 v1703, stand alone computers - no network, no server... [They must remain isolated - l_o_n_g story - don't ask.] I need to add 53 users, identical list, to each computer. The data I enter...