Windows 10: How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer

Discus and support How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When you run a Virtual Machine, many times you require to transfer files between your host computer and the VM. But many users reported that they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 15, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer

When you run a Virtual Machine, many times you require to transfer files between your host computer and the VM. But many users reported that they are unable to do this. This article guides you on how to transfer files between a Virtual Machine and a host computer.

How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer transfer-files-VM-and-host-computer-500x251.png

VirtualBox is a software that lets you run another operating system on your computer. You can run multiple operating systems on your computer depending on RAM and processor. The system on which the Virtual Machine runs is called the host computer.

Transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer

VirtualBox has four options when it comes to sharing the files between the host computer and the VM. Let’s see the function of each one:

• Disable: This option disables the file transfer between VM and host machine.
    • Host to Guest and Guest to Host: These two options enable one-way file sharing.
    • Bidirectional: This option enables the two-way file sharing feature, i.e., from VM to host machine and vice versa.

How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer transfer-files-VM-and-host-computer-1-452x500.png

By default, the Virtual Machine is set to disable. You have to change this setting to bidirectional. The following steps will help you do this.

1. Launch VirtualBox and select the operating system for which you want to enable the bidirectional file transfer option.
    2. Click on the ‘Settings‘ button. A new window will open.
    3. Select ‘General‘ on the left side.
    4. Under the ‘Advanced‘ tab, select ‘Bidirectional‘ from the drop-down menu in Shared Clipboard and Drag n Drop options.
    5. Click OK to save the settings.

Read: VirtualBox USB not detected.

Now, launch the Virtual Machine and check whether the copy and paste or drag n drop feature is working or not. If you are not able to transfer the files between the Virtual Machine and the host computer, you have to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions.

How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer transfer-files-VM-and-host-computer-2.png

Follow the below-listed steps:

1. In the Virtual Machine, go to ‘Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image.’
    2. Open the File Explorer in VM and go to This PC.
    3. Open ‘CD Drive (D): VirtualBox Guest Additions.’
    4. You will find three installation files. First, try to install ‘VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.’ If this Guest Addition does not install on your computer, try installing another one. The installation of the Guest Additions depends on the architecture of the host computer.
    5. After the installation gets completed, reboot the Virtual Machine and check whether you are able to transfer the files bidirectionally or not.

In my case, the copy and paste was working only for the text and not for file transfer. But, I was able to transfer the files by the drag n drop method.

Hope this article helped you.

Read: How to make VirtualBox VM full screen.

How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer transfer-files-VM-and-host-computer.png
    This article How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 15, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

BSOD when launching Virtual Machine

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. I understand how difficult it could be when the computer doesn’t work as it is supposed to, we will look into this for you. Please reply with the following details to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting
    steps:

• Which application are you using to create Virtual Machine?
    • Does the issue occur only when launching a Virtual Machine?
    • Have you reinstalled Windows on the computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I have analyzed the dump files shared by you. Since the issue occurs when you launch Virtual Machine, I suggest you to try disabling the VMWare USB Arbitration Service and check if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type services.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Look for the VMWare USB Arbitration Service and double click on it to open
      Properties.
    4. Select Disabled from the drop down for
      Startup and Stop the service.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 15, 2021
  3. rss81 Win User
    transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, May 15, 2021
  4. idgat Win User

win 10 to ssd for virtual machine/box

Seems to be a bit of confusion here, some steps you take relate to outright installation (i.e. host machine), others towards installation on a virtual device.

You need ...
    An Windows OS already installed on a computer (will be know as the host)
    Then install virtual software (e.g. Virtual Box - freeware)
    Run VB, then install the virtual Win 10 OS in the virtual box program. You can use the ISO

idgat, May 15, 2021
Thema:

1. How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer - Similar Threads - transfer files between

2. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  3. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  4. what is the relationship between Host machine RAM and number of hyper V virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is the relationship between Host machine RAM and number of hyper V virtual machines?: what is the relationship between Host machine RAM and number of hyper V virtual machines? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-relationship-between-host-machine-ram/6f6840d9-ff87-4c8b-b4ca-c37c816f02ec
  5. what is the relationship between Host machine RAM and number of hyper V virtual machines?

what is the relationship between Host machine RAM and number of hyper V virtual machines?: what is the relationship between Host machine RAM and number of hyper V virtual machines? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-relationship-between-host-machine-ram/6f6840d9-ff87-4c8b-b4ca-c37c816f02ec
  6. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  7. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?: I have HDD A which has Windows 10 Pro. I also have HDD B which has Windows 7 Pro. They are each Virtual Machines VM's. When using B I can use it on every computer. I do not activate the internet. I simply use the VM and the programs contained. I use B with Windows Hyper-V. I...
  8. Can Virtual Machines be transferable between machines?

9. HOSTS file rules do not apply to Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HOSTS file rules do not apply to Virtual Machines: Hello, I'm running a couple of Virtual Machines on my Windows 10 PC and in my host OS, I have a HOSTS file that blocks certain domains. However, I noticed that these domains are accessible through the VMs and the HOSTS rules do not apply there. This came as a big shock to me...
  10. Firewall between host and Hypervisor manager virtual machine.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firewall between host and Hypervisor manager virtual machine.: I have created a virtual machine. I would like to protect my computer the host from any malicious programs on the virtual machine viruses or other malware. How would I go about doing this? Do I need to make new rules against Hypervisor manager in the firewall settings? can I...