Windows 10: How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?

Discus and support How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My hdd is now faulty and I bought a new hdd, how can i transfer the files from my old hdd to the new hdd?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by unknown human being, Jul 26, 2021.

1. How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?

My hdd is now faulty and I bought a new hdd, how can i transfer the files from my old hdd to the new hdd?

:)

unknown human being, Jul 26, 2021
  2. RexCypher Win User

Transfering OS from old HDD to new HDD

My old hdd is windows 10, but only has ~30gb left of storage and a broken sata cable receiver. Bought a 3TB hdd. Is there a way to transfer all the files and os system from the old to the new?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RexCypher, Jul 26, 2021
  3. GhostmanT Win User
    Transferring everything from an old HDD to a new HDD

So I just bought a new 3 TB HDD and wanted to figure out what the best way to trasfer all the files (including my Windows 10 OS) onto the new drive. I might use the old one as a back up for important files but I want my new and bigger one to be my main
    drive/ boot drive. Any suggestions are appreciated.

GhostmanT, Jul 26, 2021
  4. BossDweeb Win User

How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?

Transferring everything from an old HDD to a new HDD

If all of your files/software are on the same partition as Windows they will be transferred to the new HDD when

your clone/image/migrate Win10 to the new HDD.

If you have data or software on a separate partition or HDD to Windows you can simply copy that data

to the new HDD.

Be careful to use the same drive letter for the partition that the data is stored on now in case there

is something that requires the original file path ( software in particular, but some data may as well ).

There are a number of cloning tools. I use the free version of AOEMI Partition Manager, but HDD mfg's

also have similar software available from mfg's web site.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

- I appreciate that 3TB may be more than enough space for your needs, but you should seriously consider

getting an SSD for Windows. 120GB is adequate, but 240GB is more cost effective per GB.

Of course this is a bit of a bother if you have everything on C:\ , but Windows loads faster and runs quicker

from and SSD. Once you've used Windows on an SSD you will never want to go back to HDD...

Sooo slow... Software also benefits some, but games are fine on an HDD as they only benefit from

slightly decreased loading times on SSD, and of course, data if fine stored on an HDD.

BossDweeb, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd?

1. How to transfer my files on my old hdd to a new hdd? - Similar Threads - transfer files old

2. How to boot from my old HDD on new build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to boot from my old HDD on new build: Hey there,My motherboard finally went out not too long ago, and since it was time for me to upgrade my system anyways, I did an entire new build excluding my old memory and HDD. I have a retail version of WIN10, and when I went to boot UEFI shows "no bootable drives", though...
  3. How to boot from my old HDD on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot from my old HDD on new build: Hey there,My motherboard finally went out not too long ago, and since it was time for me to upgrade my system anyways, I did an entire new build excluding my old memory and HDD. I have a retail version of WIN10, and when I went to boot UEFI shows "no bootable drives", though...
  4. How to boot from my old HDD on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  6. Encrypted files on my old HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypted files on my old HDD: Hi, So i recently found 2 of my old harddrives with some encrypted files on them. I have tried to take ownership of the file but it does not allow me to open them/move them so i can keep them. I was wondering if there was a way i can create a user but with my old user...
  7. Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to transfer/migrate windows 10 from an old HDD to a new HDD?: Sorry for the dumb question, but my dad recently gave me his computer which has windows 10 Pro inside of its hard drive (he doesnt have an ssd). I also just realized that windows 10 is not a free OS after 18 long years. Knowing this fact, Im not really willing into spending...
  8. Transferring hdd to new pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring hdd to new pc: I bought a new laptop (let's call it laptop 1). It has a 1 Tb standard hdd. I also have an older laptop (laptop 2) with a 1 Tb SSD and W10. I want to move the SSD from laptop 2 to the new one and am considering several options that I would like advice about. 1. Just...
  9. how to clone my old hdd to my new one ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to clone my old hdd to my new one ?: I have my windows 10 and my programs installed on my Samsung ssd also I have 1 WD BLACK HARD DRIVES 1 WD blue 1 WD green also a hitachi 500 GB that hitachi recently becomes soo slow when I open a folder with videos it takes a lot of time to load the videos also...
  10. Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC: I have an older PC in which the motherboard is dying. I bought a newer PC and since the HDD is still good on old PC I wanted to install the HDD to the new PC as a 2nd drive. That way i can keep the files and have more room. My question is to make room on old HDD can I delete...