Windows 10: How to Transfer my Windows Licence

Discus and support How to Transfer my Windows Licence in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am going to be replacing the Motherboard in my PC build soon(as well as my GPU and RAM). The HDD will stay but I am just wondering what do I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by T95DoomTurtle, Mar 8, 2019.

1. How to Transfer my Windows Licence

I am going to be replacing the Motherboard in my PC build soon(as well as my GPU and RAM). The HDD will stay but I am just wondering what do I need to do transfer the Retail License over

:)

T95DoomTurtle, Mar 8, 2019
  2. neilpzz Win User

Transfer Windows 10 Licence from Old/Dead Computer to New Computer

Depends on the licence you have. How did you get your Windows 10 licence, was it via the free upgrade and was the previous system installed by the manufacturer = OEM.

OEM licences cannot be transferred, generally but recent posts suggest MS is allowing some transfers.

Retail boxed licence can be transferred to a new device.

New motherboard = new device.

neilpzz, Mar 8, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    transferring windows licence

Hi David,

Is your Windows 10 licence based on an OEM licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new PC, if it is OEM it will not . ..

DaveM121, Mar 8, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

How to Transfer my Windows Licence

Windows XP Home Licence...

Yep, and I'll give s simple summary for anyone that is still confused.

Retail License:

• Supported by Microsoft
    • Can only be running on 1 machine per license
    • Can be transferred from one machine to another as long as it is removed from the old machine first
    OEM License:

• Supported by the whoever installs it
    • Bound to the motherboard it is originally installed on
    • The motherboard can only be changed in the event of a motherboard failure, and then the replacement motherboard must be the same model or an equivalent model
    Upgrade License:

• Support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from
    • Can be transferred from one PC to another as long as it is uninstalled from the previous computer first
    • When transferred support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from on the new machine

newtekie1, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

How to Transfer my Windows Licence

1. How to Transfer my Windows Licence - Similar Threads - Transfer Licence

2. Can I transfer Software Licence info Not MS Software using RegEdit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer Software Licence info Not MS Software using RegEdit?: Hi,I am trying to transfer a purchased licenced software from an old Win11 Pro machine to a new Win 11 Pro one.My problem is that I purchased the software in 2008, and have moved it several times in the interim, latterly 2022.The original suppliers bluelakestechnology.com,...
  3. Can I transfer Software Licence info Not MS Software using RegEdit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer Software Licence info Not MS Software using RegEdit?: Hi,I am trying to transfer a purchased licenced software from an old Win11 Pro machine to a new Win 11 Pro one.My problem is that I purchased the software in 2008, and have moved it several times in the interim, latterly 2022.The original suppliers bluelakestechnology.com,...
  4. Can i transfer a Windows licence from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i transfer a Windows licence from one computer to another.: Hello,I have a first computer i bought, that came with a windows digital licence.I upgraded it from windows 10 to windows 11 and it's a pro licence, so i have windows 11 pro.The licence is : "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account".Now i...
  5. Can i transfer a Windows licence from one computer to another.

Can i transfer a Windows licence from one computer to another.: Hello,I have a first computer i bought, that came with a windows digital licence.I upgraded it from windows 10 to windows 11 and it's a pro licence, so i have windows 11 pro.The licence is : "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account".Now i...
  6. Possible to transfer over Windows 11 Pro licence from dead laptop to new laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible to transfer over Windows 11 Pro licence from dead laptop to new laptop?: My old laptop which was running Windows 11 Home originally out of the box, which then I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro through the $99 Microsoft Store upgrade has died and will not turn on again. I am getting a new laptop with Windows 11 Home on it, but I still want a Windows 11...
  7. Possible to transfer over Windows 11 Pro licence from dead laptop to new laptop?

Possible to transfer over Windows 11 Pro licence from dead laptop to new laptop?: My old laptop which was running Windows 11 Home originally out of the box, which then I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro through the $99 Microsoft Store upgrade has died and will not turn on again. I am getting a new laptop with Windows 11 Home on it, but I still want a Windows 11...
  8. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer a licence to new PC: I have a windows licence that I bought for an old pc that I have scrapped. I have another pc and wish to install Windows. Is it possible to deactivate my licence on the old PC that I no longer have so that I can use it again?...
  9. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer a licence to new PC: I have a windows licence that I bought for an old pc that I have scrapped. I have another pc and wish to install Windows. Is it possible to deactivate my licence on the old PC that I no longer have so that I can use it again?...
  10. Transfer a licence to new PC