Windows 10: How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.

Discus and support How to Transfer Users between isolated computers. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello. Can you help me solve my USERS problem below? I have 30 New, Windows 10 v1703, stand alone computers - no network, no server... [They must... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Robert08182017, Aug 17, 2017.

1. How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.

Hello.
    Can you help me solve my USERS problem below?

I have 30 New, Windows 10 v1703, stand alone computers - no network, no server...
    [They must remain isolated - l_o_n_g story - don't ask.]
    I need to add 53 users, identical list, to each computer.

The data I enter for a NEW USER via MMC is:
    --User name
    --Full name
    --Description
    --Password
    --Confirm password
    --User must change password at next logon == YES or check this box

I can add my users here:
    MMC \ Console Root \ Local Users and Groups \ Users
    Or here:
    Administrative tools \ Computer Management \ System Tools \ Local Users and Groups \ Users

And both allow this:
    Action \ Export list
    Which creates a text, .CSV or .TXT, file for me.

Examplie Lines from the file looks like this:
    User1020,Smith, Bob B.,AGENCY STAFF
    User1023,Smith, Sam S.,AGENCY STAFF
    User1024,Smith, Tom T.,AGENCY STAFF

I would like to put this file on a USB drive and import it from computer #01 to #02, #03,...

But I can't find a way to "IMPORT" this list.

I was suggested that I attempt WET (Windows Easy Transfer; move folders\files from a Win-7 unit...)
    This did not work.

I'm just learning PowerShell so I have no idea how to work it out that way either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Robert08182017, Aug 17, 2017

2. How to transfer program files between computers

Hi Leah. I'm Greg, a volunteer and 8 year Windows MVP here to help you.

Easiest and safest is to sort your files into their applicable User folders (Documents, Pictures, Desktop, Music, Downloads, Videos, etc). Then drag or copy the User folders to external storage or transfer media.

In the new install open the storage or media, open the User folder, on File tab Select All, drag or copy the group into the User folder by right-clicking on an empty area of it.

Here are ways to move files around easiest:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2086566/the-man...

That said you can use a File backup program to transfer your files but we do see cases where they are lost this way so the direct method is best. Before I'd use any of the backups built into WIndows to transfer, I'd try free Macrium for both file and image
    backup that is more flexible and reliable:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-ref...

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/B...

https://reflect.macrium.com/webtutorial/How_to_...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 17, 2017
  3. Time Lady Win User
    How to transfer program files between computers

I personally use Macrium reflect to image my laptop then when I clean install I can mount the image (after installing Macrium) & copy all my personal files back to the pc. This would also work the same when transferring files from one pc to another.

The other way would be to remove the hard drive from the old pc & place it into a hard drive caddy & plug it in to the new pc to move files that way.

Time Lady, Aug 17, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.

Do you need to do anything except add the users?

If not you could you just use a batch script like this specifying user name and (optionally) the password Code: net user /add USER1000 Password1000 net user /add USER2000 net user /add USER3000 Password3000 etc[/quote]

5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Robert08182017

You can add a user account from an elevated command prompt. See Option Six in this tutorial.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option6

Try it in a batch file.

Edit. Oh, I see lx07 has just beaten me to the punch *Smile

6. Thank you so much lx07 and Bree.
    The "net user" command works great directly from the command prompt!
    If I use the line below(I am runnin as admin just to be clear) from C:\

net user SMITHB pa55w0rd% /add /comment:"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Bob B." /logonpasswordchg:yes

and then run just "net user" SMITHB shows up in a screen list: User accounts for L: \\computer.
    MMC populated just fine when I checked there also.

So.....
    I created a test .bat file to see what would happen:
    This file is located here: C:\01

TITLE LOCALUSERS2.BAT
    REM CLEAR THE SCREEN FIRST
    CLS
    CD\
    PAUSE
    net user SMITHB pa55w0rd% /add /comment:"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Bob B." /logonpasswordchg:yes
    net user SMITHS pa55w0rd% /add /comment:"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Sam S." /logonpasswordchg:yes
    net user SMITHT pa55w0rd% /add /comment:"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Tom T." /logonpasswordchg:yes
    PAUSE

And the following error messages appear (no matter where I try to run the bat file):
    C:\>net user SMITHB pa55w0rd"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Bob B." /logonpasswordchg:yes
    The user name could not be found.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2221.

C:\>net user SMITHS pa55w0rd"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Bob B." /logonpasswordchg:yes

C:\>net user SMITHT pa55w0rd"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Bob B." /logonpasswordchg:yes

Any thoughts on where I messed up?
    Thank you again!

Robert08182017, Aug 17, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes. It's because you have used the % character in the password. The % character has a special function in batch files, for example %1 is substituted by the first argument you use when calling the batch file. Best to avoid it. If you really must have a % in batch files then you must escape it by typing %% for each % you want.

To see this in practice, try this in a batch file then run it with an argument:
    Echo %1
    Echo %%1

As it's just the temporary password, I'd use something else, like $ for example.

8. How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.

Yes!
    Problems solved.
    Thank you so very, very much.
    Tested out the file below and my users all showed up.
    I appreciate all the help!

TITLE LOCAL-USER-CREATOR
    REM DOS special characters you CAN NOT use are |,<,>,2>,>>,&,%,&&,||,(),@,.,{,:,^
    REM CLEAR THE SCREEN FIRST
    CLS
    CD\
    PAUSE
    net user SMITHB pa55w0rd$ /add /comment:"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Bob B." /logonpasswordchg:yes
    net user SMITHS pa55w0rd$ /add /comment:"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Sam S." /logonpasswordchg:yes
    net user SMITHT pa55w0rd$ /add /comment:"Agency Staff" /fullname:"Smith, Tom T." /logonpasswordchg:yes
    PAUSE

Robert08182017, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.

1. How to Transfer Users between isolated computers. - Similar Threads - Transfer Users between

2. How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to transfer files between Virtual Machine and Host Computer: When you run a Virtual Machine, many times you require to transfer files between your host computer and the VM. But many users reported that they are unable to do this. This article guides you on how to transfer files between a Virtual Machine and a host computer. [ATTACH]...
  3. Office transfer between computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office transfer between computers: I want to transfer Office 2013 from one laptop to another. The other laptop has Office 2007. Then I want to buy Office home and student 2019 for the second laptop. How is this done?...
  4. transferring files between user accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring files between user accounts: How can I transfer my files apps and files in my administrator account to the local account i use now? i have tried to copy the account but i cant because that account is an administrator account and it can't be copied to any user account. help me to solve this problem....
  5. How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to transfer files between 2 OS's on same computer: I have recently installed Windows 10 64bit onto a new HD and i was trying to copy files from my old 32bit HD onto it. I have tried two different methods. First starting on the new drive. I access the old drive and simply attempt a copy paste. However i am never even able to...
  6. transferring data between user accounts

transferring data between user accounts: Ok so basically what has happened is my brother has been on my pc and signed into my friends microsoft account and "linked" it or something and now his microsoft account holds all my data and cookies and pretty much everything i have ever done on my pc. i uased a local...
  7. Cant transfer folders between two computers?

Cant transfer folders between two computers?: Hello, Does anyone have experience transfer data between two computers ? I connected rj45 between them didnt work connected them both to a router doesnt work Sometimes i can see each computer name but when i click on it , it says network credentials but neither computer...
  8. transfer files between computers on a home network

transfer files between computers on a home network: I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected...
  9. transfer digital licenses between computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer digital licenses between computers: Hi I have 4 computers, 3 with win10 pro and one with home. I would like to transfer one of the computers to the home device as it's my newest laptop. I do not know what type of license I have, oem or retail etc... I know they were all upgraded from win7 to 8 to 10.......
  10. Transferring data between two computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring data between two computers.: Hello, I have recently bought a new laptop and I want to transfer all the data from my Personal Computer to laptop. Which option should I use, disk image or clone creator? Is transferring all the data in order to make my laptop the same as my computer even possible? Both...