Windows 10: How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to...

Discus and support How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In May 6th, I bought a Win10 digital license from Microsoft Store for a virtual machine created in VMWare Workstation14. The virtual machine is Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ben_C_70, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Ben_C_70 Win User

How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to...

In May 6th, I bought a Win10 digital license from Microsoft Store for a virtual machine created in VMWare Workstation14. The virtual machine is Win 10 system and is activated by the license using with my Microsoft Account. Now I have to run the virtual machine in a different laptop computer. I just copy the virtual machine from the old laptop computer to the new laptop computer, and then when I launch the virtual machine beencopied and login with the same Microsoft Account of mine, it shows "Win 10 inactivated". I try to transfer the digital license from the old virtual machine to the new one by following the activating steps given by Microsoft official web site in the case of "I have change the hardware of the machine". But it can't work, because it always show the old machine and do not show the new machine in the Reactivating Dialog window, and I can't select the new machine, as if the Microsoft Server do not recognize the new machine and only recognize the old one. By the way, it is very strange when I check my Microsoft Account to find how many devices I am running, it shows the new virtual machine and the old one simultaneously. So the Microsoft Server should recognize the new virtual machine and give it a chance to be activated! I want to ask for help from Microsoft or other one who knows how to solve the problem. Thanks a lot.

My email is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

:)

Ben_C_70, Jun 27, 2020

2. Transfer Windows 10 license to vmware workstation

I would like to transfer my license from my laptop to a virtual machine (VMware Workstation). My hard drive failed on my laptop and I have decided to run Windows 10 under a virtual machine instead fo directly on the laptop.

I installed Windows 10 on a virtual machine, but it did not find the license (expected).

Is there a way to transfer the license for the laptop to the virtual machine? Or is there a way to capture the license from the data on the former hard drive? It appears that some or all of the data is on the hard drive, but the laptop will not boot off
    of it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TimRMcDonald, Jun 27, 2020
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Jun 27, 2020
  4. pparks1 Win User

How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to...

vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10

Right from this page;
    VMware Workstation Player FAQs: Create and run virtual machines | United States

also
    More detail
    I use VMWare extensively at work.

pparks1, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

1. How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to... - Similar Threads - transfer Win10 digital

2. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...
  3. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...
  4. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Transfer Windows 10 license to vmware workstation

Transfer Windows 10 license to vmware workstation: I would like to transfer my license from my laptop to a virtual machine VMware Workstation. My hard drive failed on my laptop and I have decided to run Windows 10 under a virtual machine instead fo directly on the laptop. I installed Windows 10 on a virtual machine, but...
  6. how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive: I want to try a lot of tutorials as given here windows tutorials tutorial index So I need to prepare a lot of live USB sticks or USB sticks in the formats in which tutorials mention. Most of these tutorials that I want to try are windows installation media creation, creating...
  7. Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine: I asked this question previously, but had a follow-up question which was never answered, so I assume that it has to be asked separately. I have Windows 10 Education on a physical machine that I built - is there any way of transferring it to a virtual machine running on a...
  8. VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine: I guess I should know this but I don't. If I create a VM with say win version 1703 or 1709 or even DL the "latest and greatest" 1803 and let the updates fly will anything installed to that VM be written to the BIOS "outside" of the VM? Didn't either the Spectre or Meltdown...
  9. Vmware workstation rel 14 out

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Vmware workstation rel 14 out: Hi there vmware rel 14 out ( I guess they skipped V13 !!!) has a load of new features including Unity support for W10 , New CPU support, new guest OS support for various OS'es, support for latest V4 Linux kernels (both HOST and GUEST OS'es) etc. here's a link to...
  10. Reusable Win10 VMWare virtual machines. Activation concern

Reusable Win10 VMWare virtual machines. Activation concern: Hi, I need to be able to create and distribute secure Windows 10 VMWare virtual machines. I will be encrypting and restricting the VM's using Workstation Pro. I will be providing them to contractors at my company and once they complete their work I need to be able to...