Windows 10: How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive

Discus and support How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When upgrading or changing primary HDD/SSD in Windows, it’s painful if you need to install Windows 10 again. Not only does it take... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 18, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive

WinClub, Aug 18, 2019
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 18, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 18, 2019
  4. How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive

Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive

1. How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive - Similar Threads - transfer external hard

2. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  3. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  4. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. transferring photos to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transferring photos to external hard drive: Can someone please help me put my photos that I have saved onto my pc with OneDrive sync on, onto an external hard drive. i only want the image folder placed onto the external hard drive not the OneDrive back up.I have tried several times and it is coming up with There is not...
  6. transferring photos to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferring photos to external hard drive: Can someone please help me put my photos that I have saved onto my pc with OneDrive sync on, onto an external hard drive. i only want the image folder placed onto the external hard drive not the OneDrive back up.I have tried several times and it is coming up with There is not...
  7. transfer games from hard drive to external drive problem

transfer games from hard drive to external drive problem: My hard drive is almost full to purchased an external game drive. Went to Steam and followed their instructions to transfer games to newly created folder on the game drive. Followed directions to the letter and when I hit the create new folder, message was "read only" and...
  8. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  9. PC Hard-drive Information Transfer to External Hard-drive

PC Hard-drive Information Transfer to External Hard-drive: The drive that is in my PC has filled up, so i ordered a new external hard drive but im unsure of how to get some apps onto this drive and to have my computer start to put information onto this external drive....
  10. How do I transfer photos in Windows 10 to my external hard drive

How do I transfer photos in Windows 10 to my external hard drive: How do I transfer photos in Windows 10 to my external hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-photos-in-windows-10-to-my/babcf323-99c6-4d31-8f7a-46bd3e1e8cb4"