Windows 10: How to Transfer Windows 7 Upgraded to 10 Registration to a New Hard Drive

Discus and support How to Transfer Windows 7 Upgraded to 10 Registration to a New Hard Drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I was given a laptop that had a legitimate copy of Windows 7 home edition installed. I upgraded that to Windows 10 home when it was offered as a free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jrichar9-56, Jul 29, 2020.

1. How to Transfer Windows 7 Upgraded to 10 Registration to a New Hard Drive

I was given a laptop that had a legitimate copy of Windows 7 home edition installed. I upgraded that to Windows 10 home when it was offered as a free upgrade.

Sadly, the hard drive containing the OS died and I've lost all my files nothing valuable. I want to reinstall Windows 7 Home to a new hard drive and again upgrade it to Windows 10. I still have the software installation key sticker on the laptop of the original windows 7 OS.

Not sure I have the Windows 10 upgrade key.

Is it possible to do that and not pay for a new Windows OS?

Thanks,

jrichar9

:)

jrichar9-56, Jul 29, 2020
  2. lonewolf Win User

Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer. Is it possible?

Windows 10 is still a free upgrade if your on win 8 or 7 and yes if its a sata drive you can move the Hard drive over to a new computer but the operating system will not work.

lonewolf, Jul 29, 2020
  3. How to transfer windows 8/10 to new hard drive

I have a windows 8 installation disk with licence, I used it to build a computer.

I have since used the free upgrade to windows 10 on this computer.

I just purchased a new SSD drive that I want to install in this computer.

I am looking for step by step instructions on the best way to install or transfer windows 10 to this new drive.

Do I install the windows 8 and then upgrade to windows 10? Will I have to pay to do that? Do I need to do anything before the install? Take down the key or licence number somewhere? Where do I find that?

Any help or suggestions would be of great assistance.

Thanks.

TimRebstock, Jul 29, 2020
  4. GFritz_33 Win User

How to Transfer Windows 7 Upgraded to 10 Registration to a New Hard Drive

Replacing windows 10 after hard drive crash

Hi SarahKong

Thansks fo the response. I looked at the Wiki that you suggested. The first step of the wiki is as follows:

"

Determine whether your Windows 10 license can be transferred. There are some restrictions when it comes to transferring the license:[1]
    • If you upgraded from a retail version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you can transfer your license (but only once).
    • If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer as many times you want.
    • If you upgraded from a OEM (pre-installed by your computer’s manufacturer) Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license, your Windows 10 license cannot be transferred.
    • If you upgraded using the Easy Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10, you can transfer the license using Digital Licensing."
    My windows 10 is the pre installed one that comes on my computer. So my situation does not seem to fit any of cases mentioned above.

i look forward to any other suggestions you may have.

Regards

GFritz_33, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

How to Transfer Windows 7 Upgraded to 10 Registration to a New Hard Drive

1. How to Transfer Windows 7 Upgraded to 10 Registration to a New Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Transfer Upgraded Registration

2. Transferring an window 7 key that was upgraded to window 10 to new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring an window 7 key that was upgraded to window 10 to new pc: I have a window 7 key that i use to upgrade to window 10 when it came out and have been using this for the last few year.recent build myself a new pc and install window 11 on it. I want to use my old key to install window 10 on a virtual machine on this new system.I try to...
  3. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?: I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer...
  4. How do I transfer upgraded Windows 10 Key to a New Hard Drive in the same Laptop?

How do I transfer upgraded Windows 10 Key to a New Hard Drive in the same Laptop?: Dear Friends, On 24/05/2020, My hp Pavilion dv6 laptop crashed & showed blue screen which shows only the sad smiley face, this blue screen occurred repeatedly on restarting and auto-repair did not fix the problem; I suspected that the blue screen problem was caused by the...
  5. Windows 10 - Hard Drive Transfer

Windows 10 - Hard Drive Transfer: I bought a computer last fall and it ran great after I upgraded it into a gaming computer. The only issue that is starting to arise is that the old hard drive has started skipping and isn't running near as quickly as my other hard drives. I have a brand new barracuda 2tb hard...
  6. How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 News
    How to transfer Windows 10 to an external hard drive: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When upgrading or changing primary HDD/SSD in Windows, it’s painful if you need to install Windows 10 again. Not only does it take time, but it is also tedious to install Windows updates, drivers, apps, and configure everything again. Since [...] This post...
  7. New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a Lenovo G580 laptop that came with Windows 8 originally installed. After the Windows 10 release, I upgraded. The hard drive has been slowing down, so decided to replace with a SSHD. Before doing that, I did the Windows 10,1903 update, then I created a Windows...
  8. Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive

Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive: Windows 10 was installed on my computer when i bought it, about to upgrade hard drive, how do i get window10 on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-hard-drive/8416286a-0f0e-412a-a166-567a3667d147
  9. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  10. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive: A friend of mine currently has Windows 7 installed and wants to get a new hard drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. Whats the current way to do this? 59709