Windows 10: How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt

Discus and support How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since v1809 had a bad reputation, to test whether the v1809 update was viable, I made clones of my v1803 system, then on a clone ran the SetUp.exe for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joseph PHILIPPA, Dec 7, 2018.

1. How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt

Since v1809 had a bad reputation, to test whether the v1809 update was viable, I made clones of my v1803 system, then on a clone ran the SetUp.exe for v1809-on-the-USB-stick, because I was told that an upgrade can not be done by booting from the USB. The first clone failed to update because of "0x8007023E - 0x2000C The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation." About a week later, I tried again with a later clone on a different HDD. It succeeded. So then I ran it in my 'original' system (source of the clones), but again got "0x8007023E - 0x2000C The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation.". In the meantime the C:\$Windows.~BT has reached size 3.07Gb or 2.88Gb-size-on-Disk, so I thought maybe it might auto-update satisfactorily - as I had found a laptop do. So I would like to trigger the start of the (auto)update at a time that suits me - what is the a way to do that ?

:)

Joseph PHILIPPA, Dec 7, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

Different install.esd in C:\RecoveryImage and C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources

When upgrading, Windows 10 creates the folder C:\Recoveryimage to store the files to revert the upgrade if needed, meaning it contains the install.esd file from your previous build. The folder C:\$Windows.~BT stores the install files for the new, upgraded build, its install.esd being the one for the new, upgraded build.

An example:

• Build 10041 installed clean and upgraded to build 10049
      • ESD file in C:\Recoveryimage is build 10041
      • ESD file in C:\$Windows.~BT is build 10049
    • The same machine further upgraded to build 10074
      • ESD file in C:\Recoveryimage is build 10049
      • ESD file in C:\$Windows.~BT is build 10074
    • The same machine further upgraded to build 10130, skipping one build (10122)
      • ESD file in C:\Recoveryimage is build 10074
      • ESD file in C:\$Windows.~BT is build 10130

Kari, Dec 7, 2018
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Anusha Win User

How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink How to trigger the install of C:$Windows.~bt ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt

1. How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt - Similar Threads - trigger install $Windows

2. C:\$Window.~BT\ files to send in?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C:\$Window.~BT\ files to send in?: how do you get these files? where/how do you send them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cwindowbt-files-to-send-in/64673b14-efd1-45e0-9c4f-edba5df5ff63
  3. how to free $WINDOWS.~BT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to free $WINDOWS.~BT: Hi, The $WINDOWS.~BT is 25G on my 128G SSD device. The files are 03/19/2019. I don't want to recover my old windows. When I start Disk Cleanup I don't see Old windows or similar category. It says 118MB can be free. Is it safe to delete this folder? How?...
  4. How to trigger the Windows Update to install?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to trigger the Windows Update to install?: Windows Update hasn't made any updates since I installed it. The interface has changed a lot since previous versions of Windows. Does anyone know how to trigger an update? 56101
  5. Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory

Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory: Hi In Windows 10, how do I delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory? Thanks Bye 22003
  6. Different install.esd in C:\RecoveryImage and C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources

Different install.esd in C:\RecoveryImage and C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources: So, i have installed Windows 10 technical preview a while back using the media that I created from the 10041 build. Yesterday, via Fast Ring updates, I got the 10130 release installed. I was going to take the install.esd and make an installable ISO from it. I was surprised...
  7. $windows.~bt

$windows.~bt: With an upgrade from Win 7 to 10, a folder with the Thread title appeared at the top of my C drive folder. In that folder were the following sub folders: Boot, EFI, New OS, Sources, Store & Work. The two I am really interested in are the Boot and EFI folders. Just wondering...
  8. C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources doesn't exist? Confused

in Windows 10 Support
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources doesn't exist? Confused: I wanted to make an ISO file from the ESD just in case I have an issue. I am running build 14267. I copied and pasted the C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources into task and it said folder couldn't be found. I then went under C and checked "show hidden items" under view and no luck either....
  9. C:\$windows.~BT

C:\$windows.~BT: On one of my windows 7 pro machines I have found this folder (C:\$windows.~BT) which is 4.3gb in size and has a setup.exe file (look like windows install disk). It has downloaded onto this PC with out me doing anything, dated 2nd August 2015. I have already upgraded 2...
  10. C:\$windows.~bt\sources HAS NO ESD FILE

C:\$windows.~bt\sources HAS NO ESD FILE: Since 14901, now on 14926, no such file. Drive space low enough system sometimes complains; perhaps in such case upgrade proceeds without local esd file (HOW that could be is a mystery but it's all i can think of) Microsoft Answers doesn't know. Any idea where ESD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start windows installation from $WINDOWS BT

2. 0x8007023e 0x2000c

3. how to show c:\$windows. BT

4. 0x8007023e - 0x2000c,
  5. couldnt install windows 10 0x8007023e,
  6. in c:\$WINDOWS.~BT,
  7. how to install from windows.bt