Windows 10: How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10

Discus and support How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a one-stop solution for Internet safety and privacy needs. When they work, they are great, but when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 6, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10

How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10 VPN-Error-809-100x100.png
    How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10 VPN-Error-809-150x75.png A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a one-stop solution for Internet safety and privacy needs. When they work, they are great, but when they don’t, they can leave you baffled. It’s quite a common thing for VPN connections to occasionally [...]

This post How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10 is from TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Oct 6, 2019

2. IPSec VPN eror 809 after Windows 10 upgrade

I found that a windows 10 service blocks L2TP/IPSEC VPN access.

If you go to services.msc

Find "Xbox Live Networking Services" and disable that service.

After I did that the VPN worked for me.

I have tried everything from adjusting firewall rules to adding the registry entry to no avail with Error 809.

AdamWebb- [O365], Oct 6, 2019
  3. My win 10 laptop can not be connected with VPN with the error"809"

I can not use the VPN by P2TP. And I have tried all the methods on the internet including changing or adding registry. It can not work. I need help! thanks!
    How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10 error-connecting-to-vpn-connection-error-809.png

Double_here, Oct 6, 2019
  4. TonyFor Win User

IPSec VPN eror 809 after Windows 10 upgrade

Adam, same issue here, and I was stumped until I saw your advice. It worked but I do wonder why. On the affected client, that service was set to manual start and was not running when I had the 809 error or at any time in the last six months. I disabled it
    -- and just as you described, the VPN worked.

VPN error 809 apparently refers to the default behaviour of L2TP/IPSEC VPNs not working behind NAT devices (Network Address Translation), which is the mode that most home routers work in. As I'm sure you are aware, you can introduce and change a registry
    setting on both VPN clients and the VPN server to avoid the error.

But how can a non-running service cause the client to fail as if the registry setting is missing? I could understand that removing the service might undo some other registry setting. But disabling the service?

There is a warning in one Microsoft TechNet article that even with the registry setting changed, you can get unpredictable results. And Microsoft don't officially support this kind of VPN behind NATs.

It's a pity the PTTP is a broken protocol in a security sense. It was a lot easier to install and use!

TonyFor, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

1. How to troubleshoot VPN Error 809 on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - troubleshoot VPN Error

2. VPN RAS L2TP error code 619 & 809

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN RAS L2TP error code 619 & 809: Hello,I have recently had a couple of users report being unable to connect to our onsite VPN, they are reporting error codes 619 and 809 for the RASClient, this did happen on my own machine and I ended up reinstalling windows after trying many different solutions as none seem...
  3. VPN RAS L2TP error code 619 & 809

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN RAS L2TP error code 619 & 809: Hello,I have recently had a couple of users report being unable to connect to our onsite VPN, they are reporting error codes 619 and 809 for the RASClient, this did happen on my own machine and I ended up reinstalling windows after trying many different solutions as none seem...
  4. VPN RAS L2TP error code 619 & 809

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Troubleshooting Windows 10 activation errors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Troubleshooting Windows 10 activation errors: How can i activate Windows 10 on laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooting-windows-10-activation-errors/716024fe-e501-450d-81dc-a5da8b695cd9
  6. Troubleshoot Windows 10 activation errors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Troubleshoot Windows 10 activation errors: Troubleshoot Windows 10 activation errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshoot-windows-10-activation-errors/6a1b6344-5bc4-4202-b1be-59e1ef70b5c9
  7. VPN L2TP error code 809

VPN L2TP error code 809: Hello I need help. my env: win 10 1909 build 18363.719, L2TP with preshared key After I used CC cleaner my L2TP VPN stop working. Before was working fine and nothing changed on network or VPN server. Also on other devices works fine. I try to kind of debug my situation and...
  8. How to fix VPN Error 800 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to fix VPN Error 800 on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides a safe connection between a local client and a remote server over the internet. When a user attempts to connect to a VPN but fails, they receive a VPN error message. There are many [...] This post How to fix VPN Error...
  9. Windows 10 VPN Error

Windows 10 VPN Error: So I'm trying to create a VPN for my computer and when I hit "connect" after making it, an error popped up saying "The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve". Does anyone know what this means?...
  10. windows 10 troubleshooting error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 troubleshooting error: Hello, I get an error 0x80070057 when I try to open windows update troubleshooter. HERE IS A PICTURE [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-troubleshooting-error/33925729-0fac-4421-9f96-12a83e6c9e9a