Windows 10: How to TRULY get one's OS installed/migrated/copied to SSD

Discus and support How to TRULY get one's OS installed/migrated/copied to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; MOST disk cloning forums (that recommend doing an initial install of Windows 10), seem to GLOSS OVER the fact that one CANNOT install Windows 10 to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobertDeMaree, Apr 11, 2019.

1. How to TRULY get one's OS installed/migrated/copied to SSD

MOST disk cloning forums (that recommend doing an initial install of Windows 10), seem to GLOSS OVER the fact that one CANNOT install Windows 10 to a GPT disk. (It has to be either migrated or copied, instead.)

If one attempts to migrate or copy the OS, and the OS is currently active--the migration or copy will, in all likelihood, fail--due to some volume LOCKING or UNLOCKING issues. (Depends on the migration software.)

Unfortunately, this would take a considerable amount of time, trial-and-erroring one's way through different software, in order to find one that is not prone to volume LOCKING/UNLOCKING issues.

My question is: is there SOME way to perform a OS migration/copy, that can be executed OUTSIDE of the realm of WINDOWS 10?

(Meaning, not under the control and/or limitations and/or idiosyncrasies of WINDOWS 10.)

:)

RobertDeMaree, Apr 11, 2019

2. Migrating OS to new SSD

You can use any migration software which came with the SSD, or is available on it's Support Downloads website for your model SSD.

You can use a free easy automated imaging app like
    Macrium Reflect is a Free and Easy To Use Backup Utility.

For the above you should make a boot disk to boot to complete the migration of the image once you swap in the SSD.

But since you said you want to start fresh, and presently have the inferior Upgrade install, why not truly start fresh by doing the

Clean Install Windows 10.
    If you follow the steps in the link you'll have the best install possible, much better than any Upgrade, which will reactivate after install with the Digital Entitlement already attached to that PC.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 11, 2019
  3. OS migration to ssd

I want to migrate my OS to my new ssd, but with the softwares I've downloaded can only move the whole C: drive, but my ssd only has 223gb of storage and I've got in my HDD 500gb of stored stuff. To solve this I made a partition to move all the files that
    weren't files of the OS. When I tried to do this I couldn't move such files. Is there a way to move all my files from the C: drive to the partition or to manually move my OS to the ssd?

marcocatella, Apr 11, 2019
  4. How to TRULY get one's OS installed/migrated/copied to SSD

SSD Installation

Your SSD vendor should have a data migration utility available. Try that to migrate just your OS and installed software to the SSD. Of course it might fail to fit depending on your current system's level of bloat. In that case the best thing to do would
    be a clean install as suggested above.

RobertJWin, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

How to TRULY get one's OS installed/migrated/copied to SSD

1. How to TRULY get one's OS installed/migrated/copied to SSD - Similar Threads - TRULY one's installed

2. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  3. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  4. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme: Got a Samsung Evo 970 and I want to move the files and programs from my Samsung 860 to that as that’ll be where I want the OS to be on now. How do I go about this? Is there no way and I would just need to reinstall everything on the new OS and move documents and stuff using...
  6. Migrating OS to SSD

Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  7. Migrating Windows OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Migrating Windows OS to new SSD: Hi all, I have an HP Envy that currently has a 1TB HDD, but I'm expecting a new machine, a Lenovo Thinkpad P53, in the following week or so. That configuration also has a 1TB HDD, however, I also bought an extra 500GB SSD from Crucial and made sure it's compatible with the...
  8. Trouble migrating OS to an SSD

Trouble migrating OS to an SSD: So, last week I got myself an SSD to use in my desktop PC. And when I try to migrate the whole OS with all my files and installed applications using Macrium. I get an error when I try to boot from the SSD, after all the copying process. And whatever I try doesn't help. Does...
  9. migrating OS to new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrating OS to new ssd: How can I migrate my os to my new ssd without going through any updates and so forth? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-os-to-new-ssd/e6936d37-08ae-469a-b831-f77b68db6072
  10. Migrate OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrate OS to SSD: I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?...