Windows 10: How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive

Discus and support How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This seems like something that should be incredibly easy, but it isn't. I have a BitLocker protected external drive connected to my computer. When I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Carl W.Hart, Oct 5, 2018.

1. How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive

This seems like something that should be incredibly easy, but it isn't.

I have a BitLocker protected external drive connected to my computer. When I unlock it in order to access it, I do not see any way to lock it up again other than to physically disconnect and reconnect it. This seems like a really dumb way to do it, but I do not see any other way. When I right click on the unlocked drive and go to Manage BitLocker, the only thing that looks like it might be the way to do it is "Turn on auto-lock" but when I click that, absolutely nothing happens. The drive remains unlocked.

Can anyone help?

:)

Carl W.Hart, Oct 5, 2018
  2. Marc Cai Win User

Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Oct 5, 2018
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Oct 5, 2018
  4. Paola Gar Win User

How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive

1. How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive - Similar Threads - turn BitLocker turning

2. turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?: Windows program download recently relating to Bitlocker askin me to turn it off to run the program & can't turn Bitocker back on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turned-off-bitlocker-cant-turn-back-on/f591a0cd-c764-415b-86bd-64c33bc31e7a
  3. turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?: Windows program download recently relating to Bitlocker askin me to turn it off to run the program & can't turn Bitocker back on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turned-off-bitlocker-cant-turn-back-on/f591a0cd-c764-415b-86bd-64c33bc31e7a
  4. Not able to turn off bitlocker.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to turn off bitlocker.: I am using a windows 10 home i have resently updated it. But afer updation I am facing bitlocker issue. I have seen in control panel and also in settings but there is no way to off this. I also don't have the revovery key. I have also tried to solve in cmd and in power shell...
  5. Missing D Drive after turning off bitlocker

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing D Drive after turning off bitlocker: I'm using Dell Inspiron 15 7570 with Windows 10 Home edition installed in C drive SSD. I have an external HDD D drive which was bitlocker encrypted according to what it displayed in the partitions application. In settings, I turned off bitlocker and from then, I can't see the...
  6. My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...: For clarification, I have my display to turn off after ten minutes of inactivity and usually, the monitor would go off and stay off until the mouse was moved or a key pressed. Recently I've noticed that after the ten minutes elapses, the monitor goes to turn off and then...
  7. turn off the BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    turn off the BitLocker: how to turn off the bit locker ???????????????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/turn-off-the-bitlocker/7356108d-7698-453b-976f-a86f3c47a6ae
  8. Turn Off Bitlocker

Turn Off Bitlocker: Hi, I was asked for BitLocker Recovery Key when I clicked on disk D in File Explorer. Entering key did unlock the disk but I still get the same request every time I reboot the laptop. Dell Inspiron 15 7570 with Windows 10 Home Regards, Barr Brotherton...
  9. Screens turning back on immediately after turn off timer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screens turning back on immediately after turn off timer: My screens keep turning back on immediately after the "When plugged in, turn off after X" time is reached. The screens fade to black and seem to be going to sleep like usual, but turn back on immediately. This problem just started happening and the feature worked fine before....
  10. How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive

How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive: This seems like something that should be incredibly easy, but it isn't. I have a BitLocker protected external drive connected to my computer. When I unlock it in order to access it, I do not see any way to lock it up again other than to physically disconnect and reconnect...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off bitlocker windows 10

2. bitlocker remove

3. how to turn bitlocker back on

4. turn bitlocker back on,
  5. turning bitlocker back on,
  6. what is a bitlocker code,
  7. how to disable bitlocker on dell windows 10,
  8. how to disable bitlocker,
  9. how to remove bitlocker,
  10. removing bitlocker encryption,
  11. bitlocker suspend,