Windows 10: How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu

Discus and support How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Starting next month and available as a preview right now, Windows 11's Start Menu will show promotions for certain apps. This time, advertised apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 24, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu

Starting next month and available as a preview right now, Windows 11's Start Menu will show promotions for certain apps. This time, advertised apps will show up in the recommended section of the Start Menu of the operating system.

The new placement complements the advertisement of apps in the pinned section of the Start Menu. Microsoft shows icons of apps and games there right after installation, but only on unmanaged Windows 11 devices.

Work on the feature began in early 2023. This was also the time when Microsoft started to implement ads for its subscription services Microsoft 365 in the Start Menu. These advertise the benefits of OneDrive when users click on the profile icon, which started to show an error icon as an attention grabbing measure.

Microsoft announced the addition on its support website: "The Recommended section of the Start menu will show some Microsoft Store apps. These apps come from a small set of curated developers. This will help you to discover some of the great apps that are available."

The recommended section may also start showing frequently used apps that are not pinned to the Start Menu or taskbar already.

Here is a screenshot of a promoted app, 1Password Password Manager. Microsoft published it on the official Windows blog earlier this month.

How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu [​IMG]

Microsoft has changed the design since then. Ads for applications have a "promoted" label in the latest iteration, which helps distinguish them from regular apps installed by the user.

The ads are mixed with frequently used apps and files, and recently added programs. This alone is problematic. Some of the advertised apps may not be free to use. The password manager 1Password, for instance, requires a subscription.

Ads may show up on non-managed Windows 11 devices only according to Microsoft.

Disabling Ads for Apps in Windows 11's Start Menu

How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu windows-11-stop-start-menu-app-ads.png

Windows 11 users may disable the feature. Here is a step-by-step guide on how that is done:

1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Go to Personalization > Start.
    4. Toggle "Show recommendations for tips, shortcuts, new apps, and more" to off.

The change disables ads for applications in the recommended section.

While you are at it, consider switching the layout to "more pins" to increase the room for pinned apps in the Start Menu. Another option is to switch to a third-party Start Menu. Start11 is such a tool, but it is not free.

Closing Words

Microsoft is already testing new ways to push recommendations -- in other words ads -- to users of Windows 11. Soon, a recommended icon could also be placed on the Windows 11 taskbar by default.

What is your take on this new feature?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 24, 2024

2. Like seeing Promoted Apps in the Start Menu? You'll love the Windows..

Like seeing Promoted Apps in the Start Menu? You'll love the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu 79708d1485966997t-like-seeing-promoted-apps-start-menu-youll-love-windows-6_capture_story.jpg

Read more: http://www.neowin.net/news/like-seei...versary-update

How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu tipsmall.png
    Tip How to Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

Cluster Head, Apr 24, 2024
  3. Brink Win User
  4. Brink Win User

I'm still seeing start menu ads dispite turning them off

Hello BreadedChicken, and welcome to Ten Forums. How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu :)

The Occasionally show suggestions in Start setting is only for the Suggested apps shown in the All Apps list in the Start menu instead.

*Arrow Turn On or Off App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

You can also turn off automatic installation of suggested apps to completely stop them. Be sure to also read the blue note box at the top of the tutorial below for more info.

*Arrow Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Apr 24, 2024
Thema:

1. How to turn off App Promotions in Windows 11's Start Menu - Similar Threads - turn off App

2. Windows 11: Microsoft rolls out Start Menu Promotions

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11: Microsoft rolls out Start Menu Promotions: Microsoft released optional updates for its Windows 11 operating system yesterday. These non-security updates may introduce new features and changes to Windows. The official changelog of KB5023778 for Windows 11 version 22H2 lists bug fixes, improvements and changes. These...
  3. how do i turn the top apps from the start menu off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i turn the top apps from the start menu off: so wanted to remove the top apps from the search menu and I turned it off in the settings but it didn't work how to I stop it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-the-top-apps-from-the-start-menu-off/7867171e-6895-4e0a-8638-7825b41ee0e3
  4. how do i turn the top apps from the start menu off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i turn the top apps from the start menu off: so wanted to remove the top apps from the search menu and I turned it off in the settings but it didn't work how to I stop it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-the-top-apps-from-the-start-menu-off/7867171e-6895-4e0a-8638-7825b41ee0e3
  5. How to turn off S Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off S Mode: Hi,I logged in with a school ID so I could get free Microsoft Office through my school. I needed to download a Lockdown Browser in order to take a test. It successfully downloaded but when I try to start the software, Microsoft states I need to disable S Mode by visiting the...
  6. How to turn Accent Color On or Off for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn Accent Color On or Off for Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 11: [ATTACH]Windows 11 comes with different attractive themes. You can apply your favorite theme via the Settings app. When you apply a theme, Windows automatically applies color to the Taskbar and the Start menu as per the selected theme. But if you want, you can change the...
  7. How to turn off the top news in the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off the top news in the start menu: Right click the bottom barPick News and InterestClick Turn OffRestart PC, you will not see the Top News Icon again.You can delete the app, but the same Top News Icon will show up. The above method works....
  8. How to turn off START MENU AUTO EXPAND?

How to turn off START MENU AUTO EXPAND?: I am referring to the way in which you hover your mouse pointer over something like the power icon, and it automatically expands outward. I am well aware of the mach2 program that does it. Problem is, it is only a temporary solution. The auto expand will turn itself back...
  9. Turn off tiles in Start Menu

Turn off tiles in Start Menu: I saw how to disable the apps in the Start Menu. Can the tiles be disabled? I have never used them and never will. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-tiles-in-start-menu/deb68d78-20e3-4c60-a11f-33eb505ec97c
  10. Like seeing Promoted Apps in the Start Menu? You'll love the Windows..

in Windows 10 News
    Like seeing Promoted Apps in the Start Menu? You'll love the Windows..: Like seeing Promoted Apps in the Start Menu? You'll love the Windows 10 Anniversary Update [img] Possibly the most despised feature of Windows 10 is advertisements. They show up in your apps list, lock screen, and even the Start Menu. Sadly, Microsoft plans to...