Windows 10: How to turn off Microsoft Edge Version 87 asking to set to default

Discus and support How to turn off Microsoft Edge Version 87 asking to set to default in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm working on deploying the new Microsoft Edge (Version 87) browser to my user's. The only problem is that it asks, within a tool bar at the top of... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by macdad, Dec 10, 2020.

1. macdad Win User

How to turn off Microsoft Edge Version 87 asking to set to default

I'm working on deploying the new Microsoft Edge (Version 87) browser to my user's. The only problem is that it asks, within a tool bar at the top of the screen ,to set it as the default browser. I found the following forum to turn this off via the registry but its not working:

Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt

This post was last updated in 2017 and the new chromium based Edge browser came out this year (2020).

The funny thing is once you've clicked on the X on this prompt you never see it again. Even after a reboot. We have Chrome set as the default browser via group policy.

I tested clicking on setting it (Edge) as the default browser on this bar and it changes the machine so that Edge is the default browser. Of course this changes back to Chrome once a user reboots their machine or logs off and back on.

Any ideas? I've loaded up version 87.0.664.52 of the Edge group policy into our AD servers and their doesn't seem to be a setting to keep it from asking and I've dug through the registry and can't find anything. I've done numerous Google searches and can't find anything either.

Note: Were currently on Windows 10 1909 Enterprise.

:)

macdad, Dec 10, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Security baseline for Microsoft Edge version 87 available

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...7/ba-p/1950297

Latest Microsoft Edge released for Windows

Brink, Dec 10, 2020
  3. Default pages for Microsoft Edge

Hello Angela,

I understand that you are trying to set the starting page for the Microsoft Edge of your preferred web pages. We will help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps you.

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click on the ". . ." at the top right corner. Select Settings.
    • Under Open Microsoft Edge with. Select Specific pages.
    • Set the webpages and Save.
    Please post to us if you have any further queries to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 10, 2020
  4. mrgeek Win User

Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

SUCCESS ! I could not Reset in Apps & features because Edge is not listed. So I used the brute force method. Deleted contents of this folder -

*Arrow Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Browsers Email Tutorials

C:\Users\%username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and the ran powershell (admin) command - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

Opened Edge and a few tabs, checked the 'Always close ...' box and check registry and Voila, the entry is there and set to '0'

How to turn off Microsoft Edge Version 87 asking to set to default [​IMG]

and dialog box doesn't open any more in subsequent openings and closings of Edge. Now to reset my faves and settings. *Mad Thanks for your suggestions, Brink. Cheers.

mrgeek, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

1. How to turn off Microsoft Edge Version 87 asking to set to default - Similar Threads - turn off Microsoft

2. How to set the default Zoom level in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to set the default Zoom level in Microsoft Edge: [IMG]Microsoft Edge is one of the widely used web browsers on Windows with several customization and accessibility features. One of its many Accessibility features is the ability to set the default zoom level for web pages. It allows you to open websites with magnified or...
  3. How to Turn On/Off Rounded Corners in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn On/Off Rounded Corners in Microsoft Edge: [IMG]This tutorial shows how to turn on or off rounded corners in the Microsoft Edge browser on Windows 11/10 PC. You can turn on or off rounded corners for browser tabs as well as browser windows (rounded corners around a browser window frame) for visual separation using the...
  4. How to Turn On or Off Show Downloads Menu in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn On or Off Show Downloads Menu in Microsoft Edge: When a download starts in Microsoft Edge, the downloads menu will show to let you know. This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to show downloads menu when a download starts in the Chromium based Microsoft Edge. EXAMPLE: Downloads menu in Microsoft Edge [img]...
  5. Security baseline for Microsoft Edge version 87 available

in Windows 10 News
    Security baseline for Microsoft Edge version 87 available: We are pleased to announce the enterprise-ready release of the security baseline for Microsoft Edge, version 87! We have reviewed the new settings in Microsoft Edge version 87 and determined that there are no additional security settings that require enforcement. The...
  6. How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?: I'm playing a game and the f1 button closes a window that opens up when I want help on MY GAME. But when I push f1 it pulls down my game and brings up Microsoft edge help. This is REALLY irritating me. I want tao turn off F1 FOR HELP!!!!!...
  7. How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium: How to: How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium How to Turn On or Off Ask Where to Save in Microsoft Edge Chromium Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web...
  8. Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Extensions in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible...
  9. Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Ask to Close All Tabs in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows...
  10. Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt: How to: Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt Turn On or Off 'Make Microsoft Edge your default browser' Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed...