Windows 10: How to TURN OFF Microsoft's terrible account protection

Discus and support How to TURN OFF Microsoft's terrible account protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a Microsoft account that I use on 2 computers. One computer is my PC at home, which is logged into this account via Windows 10. The second is my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Riccorbypro, Sep 12, 2019.

1. How to TURN OFF Microsoft's terrible account protection

I have a Microsoft account that I use on 2 computers. One computer is my PC at home, which is logged into this account via Windows 10. The second is my work laptop, which uses that account on Skype, but not Windows (which is logged in instead with my domain account).

Every few weeks, I get an email from Microsoft saying that they've detected "unusual activity" on my account. Usually after I re-open skype on my work laptop (I have the open on login option turned off), restart my home PC, or otherwise "sign in" to my account. It's important to note that I'm using the actual Skype app on my laptop, and not the terrible Windows Store one that doesn't know a MB4 (back button on the mouse) click from a left click.

I have now had to reset my password "for security reasons" a total of 12 times. It's got to the point where I simply set the password by going to my now specially assigned "enter MS account password" macro and incrementing the number at the end.

I understand that this is done in the interest of my security, but should there not be an option for me to simply NOT be locked out of my account because I signed in? I can understand something like Google's 2FA where it prompts you on an existing device or sends you an OTP, but resetting my password? That's really becoming annoying.

Is there any way to disable this nightmare of a feature, or at least set that I can log in without having to reset my password? I have done all the recommended steps (scan for viruses, ensure that the password is unique, I even reinstalled Windows on my home PC because I was getting fed up with the constant "Please sign in again to confirm your details" bs)

I'm also not entirely sure where to post this, since it covers a Microsoft account issue and not specifically Skype or Windows. Please move this post to the correct area if it's in the wrong place.

* Moved from msn

:)

Riccorbypro, Sep 12, 2019
  2. avelos156 Win User

Unable to "Turn on Tracking Protection" for a specific administrator account

IE11 (automatic updates), Win10.

I'm unable to set Tracking Protection working for a specific user account. While for all other user accounts (normal users) in the same machine Tracking Protection works, for the administrator account it cannot be enabled.

I have downloaded 3 tracking protection lists that are in status "Enabled".

The lists can be enabled/disabled freely.

Even though all 3 lists are enabled, tracking protection does not work at all.

When I click on Settings -> Safety, the corresponding menu option always reads "Turn on Tracking Protection" no matter how many times I select it. In the other accounts where the tracking protection works this menu option reads "Turn off Tracking Protection".

The account's personalized tracking protection list remains in status "Disabled" no matter how many times I have tried to enable it. Although I do not need this list at all, it is an indication/confirmation that something is wrong with my tracking protection.
    For the other user accounts the personalized tracking protection list can be freely enabled/disabled.

I run the ProcessMonitor to see if there is any kind of access issues with the administrator account, but it looks pretty good. No "Access Denied" issues, no weird results.

I also completely removed all IE folders in appdata folder and all IE enties under registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. Everything was recreated at IE11 first launch, however the issue remains.

Any suggestions?

avelos156, Sep 12, 2019
  3. I can't turn on Windows Defender Real Time Protection

We appreciate your response. We suggest that you try to turn on Windows Defender Real Time Protection from a Hidden Administrator account. To enable Hidden Administrator, the following are the steps:

• Right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the command prompt, type in net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter.
    • Log out and log back in using the Administrator account.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Hector Mad, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

How to TURN OFF Microsoft's terrible account protection

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

How to TURN OFF Microsoft's terrible account protection

1. How to TURN OFF Microsoft's terrible account protection - Similar Threads - TURN OFF Microsoft's

2. How to turn off write protection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off write protection?: I have a usb 3.0 that I accidently turned write protection on for because it said it needed write protection or something. I looked up how to turn on write protection which didn't help me at out and now I can't turn it off. I looked at every tutorial and none of them worked....
  3. How to turn off write protection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off write protection?: I have a usb 3.0 that I accidently turned write protection on for because it said it needed write protection or something. I looked up how to turn on write protection which didn't help me at out and now I can't turn it off. I looked at every tutorial and none of them worked....
  4. How to turn off write protection?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. how to turn off Firewall protection messages.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to turn off Firewall protection messages.: I'll try to be nice but Microsoft is making me mad again.I keep getting notifications to turn on the Firewall & network protection.How can I turn this off.I can't use the Windows firewall because it will interfere with our printing. I use another software for antivirus and...
  6. how to turn off Firewall protection messages.

how to turn off Firewall protection messages.: I'll try to be nice but Microsoft is making me mad again.I keep getting notifications to turn on the Firewall & network protection.How can I turn this off.I can't use the Windows firewall because it will interfere with our printing. I use another software for antivirus and...
  7. Virus protection is turn off

Virus protection is turn off: can any one tell me why is my virus protection turn off and I don't have another virus protection installed? [Original Title: virus protion] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-protection-is-turn-off/14128dfb-7692-4a02-8e40-31ec772b27db
  8. Microsoft Tamper Protection Turning Off

Microsoft Tamper Protection Turning Off: Hi, For some reason my laptops tamper protection keeps randomly turning off and I can't figure out why that would be. Anybody have any explanations?...
  9. Temporarily turn off protection.

Temporarily turn off protection.: Hello. I've been trying to run an executable but receive a message stating that Windows has prevented the .exe because it's unknown. Is there a way to temporarily allow this .exe to run? The message comes within a blue square.[ATTACH]...
  10. System Protection Turned Off

in Windows 10 Support
    System Protection Turned Off: After the upgrade from 8.1 pro to 10, i noticed system protection was turned off. I went ahead and turned it back on and moved the slider back to ten percent. Any reason why the upgrade turned it off? Any reason not to turn it on? Thanks, Mike 9926