Windows 10: How to turn off thumbnails for certain file types

Discus and support How to turn off thumbnails for certain file types in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi thereI'm trying to find a solution to turn off the thumbnail display for word and pdf files. Excel, notes files show an icon as standard and I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ZinaG, Sep 6, 2021.

1. ZinaG Win User

How to turn off thumbnails for certain file types

Hi thereI'm trying to find a solution to turn off the thumbnail display for word and pdf files. Excel, notes files show an icon as standard and I would like other work files to do the same. It was like that with my old PC but with the new one is somehow different. The option 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' does not work in this case, as I would like the pictures to stay as thumbnails. When I turn on the 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' option, pictures display as icons too. Maybe someone could advise what needs to be changed, please?

:)

ZinaG, Sep 6, 2021

2. No thumbnails issue in Windows 10

Thank you for your prompt response. Certain folder options can cause the thumbnails not to appear in your File Explorer. Let us follow these steps to ensure that the thumbnail settings are enabled:

• Using Windows Search, type and click File Explorer Options.
    • Click on View tab.
    • Uncheck the Always show icons, never thumbnails checkbox.

Reach out to us again if further help is needed.

Dhavelyn Mer, Sep 6, 2021
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Sep 6, 2021
  4. Paultx Win User

Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

Yes, that's correct. But of course Windows must support the thumbnail preview for programs that generate thumbnails.

For example, I see in your second screenshot that PDF files icons are displayed as the default PDF file type icon. But Windows supports PDF files thumbnails, and you have to set it so that Windows can display them. An easy way to do it is by the following setting in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC:

How to turn off thumbnails for certain file types [​IMG]

Back to my initial point, I want a list of Windows 10 officially supported file types thumbnails, so I can seek solutions for those Windows does not support.

Paultx, Sep 6, 2021
Thema:

1. How to turn off thumbnails for certain file types - Similar Threads - turn off thumbnails

2. How To Turn Off Thumbnail Preview in Task Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Turn Off Thumbnail Preview in Task Bar: I refer to this question: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-previews/7439e434-66ca-40f5-a653-ca847bd465a1 and similar.No one of the posted answers work.My question:How to disable RELIABLE the thumbnail preview so only the list...
  3. How to turn off swipe typing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off swipe typing?: How to turn off swipe typing? It automatically starts working while normal typing and doesn't let me work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-swipe-typing/5b9c22cb-3c0a-4ce4-bfe7-e5df2e4d68a9
  4. How to turn off swipe typing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off swipe typing?: How to turn off swipe typing? It automatically starts working while normal typing and doesn't let me work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-swipe-typing/5b9c22cb-3c0a-4ce4-bfe7-e5df2e4d68a9
  5. How to turn off swipe typing?

6. Display thumbnails only for certain files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display thumbnails only for certain files: The company I work for just issued me a new laptop. The old laptop was running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 17763. The new laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 19043. On the old laptop, all files were displayed as icons, on both the desktop and in the File Explorer,...
  7. Display thumbnails only for certain files

Display thumbnails only for certain files: The company I work for just issued me a new laptop. The old laptop was running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 17763. The new laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 19043. On the old laptop, all files were displayed as icons, on both the desktop and in the File Explorer,...
  8. Display thumbnails only for certain files

9. Logo and Thumbnails missing on certain files

Logo and Thumbnails missing on certain files: Some images in .png files don't have thumbnails, also it seems like every mp3 Groove Music logo is missing, meanwhile, the Microsoft Photos icon logo is also missing, it seems that .jpeg isn't affected by the Thumbnail missing.Also note that only newer png files are affected...
  10. Certain files thumbnail not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain files thumbnail not showing: I have recently bought a new hhd hard disk and after moving some files to that hard disk, I noticed that all the media file e.g png,jpg,mov etc won't show their thumbnails. Then I tried several methods:1, go to the folder option and disable "Always show icons, never...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 thumbnail disable certain extension