Windows 10: How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu

Discus and support How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wanted to use a software that I didn't know if I had installed it yet or not so I clicked on the Start icon and typed out the program's name. At... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GuyIe_26, Mar 25, 2020.

1. GuyIe_26 Win User

How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu

I wanted to use a software that I didn't know if I had installed it yet or not so I clicked on the Start icon and typed out the program's name. At first, it looked like I had it but when I clicked on it, it took me to a web page. When I repeated it again, it appears that the Start menu is searching the internet for the program. I don't want to need that, I wanted to know if it was installed or not and was mislead. I want to disable whatever setting is causing the Start menu to use the internet for searching, where is this setting at? Thanks.

:)

GuyIe_26, Mar 25, 2020
  2. Carlo Fer Win User

Disable Store and Web search in Start Menu

Hello
    SystemSupport346,

Since the steps above did not work for you, we suggest that you disable web search by navigating the settings of Cortana itself. Please follow the steps below:

• Open the search box in the taskbar.
    • Click the Notebook icon.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • On the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Turn off the Search online and include web results. See screenshot below:

How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu 4b6583c8-efc0-4f9f-a9a0-4ce531f271db?upload=true.png

Hope this information helps you. Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Carlo Fer, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Mar 25, 2020
  4. How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu

1. How to turn off web searching when I use the Start menu - Similar Threads - turn off web

2. How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?: I dont want the web search in the windows start menu. How to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-web-search-in-the-windows-start/482128ff-7b6f-4847-bde9-7d97ca79c1af
  3. How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?: I dont want the web search in the windows start menu. How to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-web-search-in-the-windows-start/482128ff-7b6f-4847-bde9-7d97ca79c1af
  4. Disable Start Menu Web Search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Start Menu Web Search?: What's the current way to disable the web search? Preferably without editing the registry submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ptap/disable_start_menu_web_search/
  5. Turning off start menu internet search

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off start menu internet search: I finally got around to backing up my original dell image, and installing a clean Windows Pro image from Microsoft instead (been meaning to do it for a while). Dell didn't even originally give me the correct language version of Windows for my laptop, a minor annoyance but it...
  6. How to disable web search in Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable web search in Start Menu?: Hello, I have Windows 10 version 1909 and I want to disable stupid web search that open useless Edge browser if I type file name wrongly and then I click enter and browser opens how to disable that? submitted by /u/Qiasm [link] [comments]...
  7. How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...

in Cortana
    How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...: In a previously locked thread ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/how-do-i-prevent-cortanasearch-from-searching-the/557539cc-5164-4df4-b839-494e623a6067 ), Brian023 asked: " I see from a web search (using my prefered browser and not...
  8. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...
  9. How to turn off Cortana auto web search ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off Cortana auto web search ?: When I type in cortana to search my PC, for ex: task manager..I get a stack of web site results from the web also. How do I disable the web search option on cortana , to just search PC ? If I want to search web I will use google.*Smilethanks 15063.138 / 1703 win10 82150
  10. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451