Windows 10: How to turn off Windows backup completely

Discus and support How to turn off Windows backup completely in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Have turned off file history backup via settings but Windows keeps taking a "snapshot"of my C: disc and putting it on my external HD. Is there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by RAPw10, Jan 3, 2017.

1. RAPw10 Win User

How to turn off Windows backup completely

Have turned off file history backup via settings but Windows keeps taking a "snapshot"of my C: disc and putting it on my external HD. Is there something else that I have to turn off?

:)

RAPw10, Jan 3, 2017

2. How to turn it off completely ?!!!!

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

A three fingered tap appears to bring up Cortana may be due to the trackpad is getting a little confused thinking you're doing that. It may be possible that using 2 fingers
    also is causing due to this.

Click the start button and select settings. Then select
    Devices. Click on Mouse and Touch Pad and scroll to the bottom and select "Additional Mouse Options." This brings up a box that should have the information and name of the type of touch pad your computer has.
    Click on settings and then in the new box that pops up you should see a tab that says "Tapping". Open that tab and you should then see "Three Finger Tap" and "Four Finger Tap". Uncheck those
    boxes and then click "Apply".

Now check if the issue persists.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jan 3, 2017
  3. How to turn it off completely ?!!!!

that did not answer the question...the question was HOW TO SHUT DOWN OR DISABLE CORTANA not how to adjust 3 or 2 finger action ...smh

RobieTiffin, Jan 3, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Jan 3, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 3, 2017
  6. RAPw10 Win User
    Thank you both but I may have misled you (mainly because I'm not really sure that the backup is due to the file history and I just can't figure it out).

A folder is added to my external hard drive, the name of which is the name of my PC … and if I delete it, Windows replaces it soon (haven't paid attention to exactly when). The folder is approximately 40 GB.

There is no folder named "FileHistory".

RAPw10, Jan 3, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 3, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

That does sound like the folder that Windows Backup would create. If it has a special icon similar to this...

How to turn off Windows backup completely [​IMG]

... (probably without the shield) then it was created by Windows Backup - follow Brink's suggestion to turn off scheduled backups.

Bree, Jan 3, 2017
  9. RAPw10 Win User
    Thank you Brink and Bree – that seems to have worked – at least it says the backup is not scheduled (but I think i said that before I clicked on the "turnoff"link) anyway, I'll keep checking the next couple days but thank you again

RAPw10, Jan 4, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Jan 4, 2017
  11. Geneo Win User
    But you really should backup your system *Wink

Geneo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to turn off Windows backup completely - Similar Threads - turn off backup

2. How do I turn off and delete a backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off and delete a backup?: I want to turn of this backup permanantly and remove this notification. How can i remove it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-and-delete-a-backup/d318062c-ddbe-4a36-a0cf-5d096e0dad8a
  3. How do I turn off and delete a backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn off and delete a backup?: I want to turn of this backup permanantly and remove this notification. How can i remove it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-and-delete-a-backup/d318062c-ddbe-4a36-a0cf-5d096e0dad8a
  4. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?: I work for a small business whose server runs Windows 10 Pro. This is because the boss didn't want to cough up the money for Windows Server and does not want anything to do with Linux. Oh well. There are three VMs running on Oracle VirtualBox in the background continuously....
  5. How do I turn off and delete a backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I turn off and delete a backup?: I am constantly getting notifications that my backup has not completed. I cancelled the backup from Windows because I am using the backup software with my NAS. How do I turn off and delete the backup so I am not constantly notified that there is a problem? [ATTACH]...
  6. How to COMPLETELY turn off User Account Control...?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to COMPLETELY turn off User Account Control...?: Hello, We have two users on one of our Win 10 systems. One account is a regular user, and the other is an Administrator. Right now, when I log onto the Admin account, User Account Control displays at the bottom of the slider (and that is what I want.) But when I log...
  7. Wifi turning completely off.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi turning completely off.: I was wondering if anyone has found a fix for the wifi turning off. My wifi completely turns off and I have to go into device manager>network adapters and uninstall all of them then scan for new hardware. After that I have to completely shutdown the laptop not restart and...
  8. Tablet turns off completely

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tablet turns off completely: I only want to turn screen off. Can't find Setting that needs change. Advice requested please? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/tablet-turns-off-completely/ddcf7547-f775-4dda-9c0e-36e08a153c0f
  9. How to completely turn off Aero Peek

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to completely turn off Aero Peek: I have done everything I can to turn off Aero Peek. I'm referring to the thumbnail previews you see when you mouse over an open item on your bottom taskbar. For example, if I have Word open but am looking at my desktop, if I mouse over the "Microsoft Word" icon in the taskbar...
  10. How do you turn off Windows Defender completely?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do you turn off Windows Defender completely?: When you go to turn off defender, a message tells you, " You can turn this off temporarily, but if it's off for a while we'll turn it back on automatically." First problem I have is with grammar. The folks at Microsoft should know NOT to use a coma and the word But next to...